What kind of LED / reflector combo is best for a very NARROW spill / strong hotspot?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A MagTac is a thrower that uses 123 cells.

Trouble is, as things modernize for more brightness the industry is building lights to spread the beam more widely. You almost need to step back in time to find lights with a pencil beam. Like Gene Malkoffs M60T module or a Streamlight TL2 from circa 2014 for true pencil beam output.

Since alkalines are out, perhaps consider Powerex Imedion C cells in a Maglite ML50. Pricey going in for the fuel cells, but the XL50 has that classic Maglite adjustability. Using the medium (called low by Maglite) is plenty bright while conserving fuel. The low (called "eco" by Maglite) puts out a battery sipping 20 or so general use lumens and allows literally hundreds of hours of runtime.

I really like a 3C Maglite ML25 with Imedions. The package says 178 lumens, but the CD is over 12k, which indicates it's almost like having a snoot over the head. Pencil beam with a capital P. Pick the beam you like and turn it on/off via the tailcap. I also like the Coast HP7 fed by Eneloop Pro cells for zoomy purposes. I use both to light inside of pipes and manholes in the daytime.

Last edited:

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Maglite XL50 can be found at many hardware stores for under $30. I like them. 3AAA batteries I believe. Pretty good throw. Not my favorite, but fairly inexpensive. Surefire G2X Pro also, but probably has more spill than you're after, good throw though. The 300 lumen version is probably out there pretty cheap and can use CR123s or 16650.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Agreed, the G2x Pro is pretty good.
I haven't seen the 600 lumen version in use yet but have a few 320 versions. They have a nice long conical beam that throws farther than the numbers suggest.

Perhaps one of the best bang for your buck flashlights ever made.

Enderman

Enlightened
^^ I don't know why these guys are talking about maglites and random 600 lumen flashlights...
This topic is about 1-2km throwers.
Not a cheap flashlight that can do a few hundred meters at most.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i do not know why someone would need a light that shoots 2000m. because based on what OP wants to do;
I need a light for parking lot patrol and I'm trying to figure out what LED/reflector type combo is necessary because the lot is already super well lit, I just need to see into the woods / behind bushes / sheds without lighting up the other areas.

i wonder is he carrying binoculars as well, at that distance without them, such spotlight is useless

Enderman

Enlightened
i do not know why someone would need a light that shoots 2000m. because based on what OP wants to do;

i wonder is he carrying binoculars as well, at that distance without them, such spotlight is useless

He literally said "I was looking for 800-2000m throw "

And no, I can clearly see the objects at 1km+ when they are well lit up by my throwers.
No need for binoculars unless you're trying to see a person's face or something like that.

Also at shorter distances you get a much more intense spot.
A flashlight that is ansi rated for 500m is only really usable to ~250m, because 0.25 lux is too dim to see anything.
At 250m you get 1 lux, which is much better.
So in order to get a good usable amount of light at 1km you need a flashlight that will do 2km+ ANSI.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
He literally said "I was looking for 800-2000m throw "

And no, I can clearly see the objects at 1km+ when they are well lit up by my throwers.
No need for binoculars unless you're trying to see a person's face or something like that.

generally yes, i agree, however in the bushes\woods you may miss one in a broad daylight 50 feet away. especially if he does not want you to see him.

what he really needs is thermal vision, but that can be a bit costly.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Sorry, I didn't realize from your top post you were looking for such a long throw light. I think the Lemax searchlights look cool and seem to have long throw and not much spill, but I think they do cost a bit. But like someone said you're not looking for a cheap flashlight that can only do a few hundred meters.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I can say is that I was LE ages ago and I would have nearly sold a kidney to get a light like the G35 for duty.

Enderman

Enlightened
All I can say is that I was LE ages ago and I would have nearly sold a kidney to get a light like the G35 for duty.
Technology has evolved a lot in the flashlight area lately.
There are MUCH better long distance flashlights these days.

I recently built a 10Mcd LED searchlight for someone, and I'm working on something much more powerful next.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep tech definitely evolved, but at the cost of reliability and durability. not a problem for casual use, but as a duty light, may fail in a worst moment.

Enderman

Enlightened
yep tech definitely evolved, but at the cost of reliability and durability. not a problem for casual use, but as a duty light, may fail in a worst moment.
Just because surefire hasn't been making any powerful flashlights lately doesn't mean that there aren't other brands making high quality flashlights with decent specs.

"oh its not surefire, its gonna fail hahaha"

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just because surefire hasn't been making any powerful flashlights lately doesn't mean that there aren't other brands making high quality flashlights with decent specs.

"oh its not surefire, its gonna fail hahaha"

wow, you really hate surefire, don't you? i did not mention anything about the brand. but you have a point, if it is not surefire, or mag lite it prbly not durable enough for duty . lol i had to say it, i could not resist, sorry.

btw latest maglites are a lot better than classic, but it is also true that they under perform when it comes to actual illumination. compared to majority of lights.

seems like the formula we use in construction applies here as well, bright and durable light will not be cheap, bright and cheap will not be durable, durable and cheap will not be bright, you only get 2 out of 3

Last edited:

Cavannus

Newly Enlightened
Are there any other ways of having a tight beam profile? Very very very narrow angle spill?
Option #1: get a light with narrow TIR optics. I have a Scurion caving headlight that is about 12 years old, it has a narrow 6° spot with one of those TIR optics that has virtually no spill.

Option #2: get a "laser thrower", i.e. a laser-excited-phosphor flashlight and a convex lens. They have a very narrow beam with no spill. Search for the Maxtoch XSWORD L2K (2km throw) or the Acebeam W10 (1km throw) for example.

Option #3: find a new or second-hand HID spotlight. They were somewhat popular 10-15 years ago. Not as efficient as today's LEDs, but still a very bright source with a narrow beam on some models that have a large reflector and a textured front glass inspired from automotive headlights.

Last edited:

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam from one of the old school Mr. Bulk Lion Heads is pretty tight. its shallow and wide....

here's a pic of the head. I'll add beamshot of mine after I get it uploaded.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?446706-Mr-Bulk-Update

Beamshot: (last comparison pic shows a 20 foot long bridge structure for reference. hotspot is smaller than it....

Mr. Bulk Lionhead with a custom Direct Drive engine with XP-L HI
bulk-beamshot.jpg

For Reference:

XM-L2 in 21mm wide reflector about 1" deep
21mm-reflector-xml2.jpg

And a Lux-RC 371d triple with Carclo optic
triple.jpg

Last edited: