What knife do you EDC?

cqbdude

Enlightened
Damn Russ that's some collection....
I love them Blackwoods.......someday...someday....
The closest blackwood I own are the skirmishes...and thats not even that close....:ohgeez:

BladeZealot said:
Tom Mayo lefty MOA hawkbill TNT
Jim Burke Pimp {proto}
Jim Burke mini Resurrection {edit: also a lefty}
Neil Blackwood Curr
Bobby Howard friction folder

IM000033.jpg

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
You guys are killin' me! (or my wife may kill me)

I was looking at the Griptilian with a black Tanto blade at a sporting goods store this afternoon. $92, but I really want one now.

Anyway, I carry a Spyderco Native (3) or Para-military with G-10 handle material. That rough texture doesn't slide in or out of your pocket very well but it's real good when you're using the knife.

I carried a Wayne Goddard Jr design Spyderco for at least 15 years until the lock wouldn't hold any more. They don't carry that knife any more so I ended up with the Para-military for only a few dollars out of pocket. No BS lifetime warranty, and it's handy to live within driving distance of the factory.

Ken

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
Seems to be a lot of Griptilians out there! So I take it that S30V is the best steel for the blade? Please forgive the NEWB question...
WP-

I just bought a Mini-Grip with the green handle, which was discontinued in 2004, and sent it to BM to upgrade it to 154cm steel instead of the 400C that it came with... they don't have that sized blade in S30V. From what I've gathered, 154cm and S30V seem pretty close in quality, although it seems that the 154cm is harder to get a razor-razor-sharp edge.

I'm not sure if you've checked out bladeforums.com before, but they were really helpful when I was deciding on my EDC knife. I just checked for the difference between the two, and there was a discussion a few days ago, and a member with more than 14,000 (named Clif) posts had this to say:

"These are the same class of steel, high hardness, high wear, large carbide volume, brittle/inflexible, and low corrosion resistance (for a stainless steel) and low grindability.

The main advantage of S30V is that the wear resistance is significantly higher so you will see an advantage in edge retention for slicing abrasive media. However the advantage is not going to be as much as is often implied, certainly not many to one and unless you do controlled cutting, or just a lot of cutting you are likely not to notice it anyway and the exact shape of the knife you buy will be much more dominant.

For other types of cutting the edge retention will be similar between the two because it can also be critical on the hardness or toughness in which cases S30V has no significant advantages over 154CM. So for example it won't carve hardwoods significantly better than 154CM or hold up better cutting wires and such.

S30V has a higher ability to take finer push cutting edges because the carbides are smaller than in 154CM however most people will never note this ability because you need extreme standards of sharpness for it to be obvious, i.e. judge blades which need a slice to cut loose paper as really dull. In most cases it is offset with the much lower grindability of S30V which makes many people complain about sharpening.

In short, I would not get too concerned about choosing between those two steels because they are both of the same class and work well (or poorly) in the same types of knives and I would instead focus on the knife."

Mods: if that was not ok to post, let me know...

Anyways, that's that!

-john

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never really gotten into thumbstuds/fingerholes/etc. I prefer opening my knives with a flick of the wrist. With all but the few very stiffest knives I own (about 60-70, about $3-20 each, average is maybe $8), a few minutes of opening, closing, and practice loosens up the hinge enough to snap the blade open or shut instantly.

Bob_G

Enlightened
Wilkins F7 Kurz Lightweight (Becut steel - a multi alloy steel for industrial food processing, i.e. it chops frozen meat) and whatever the 4 blade SAK is with the electricians blade. The Wilkins fits my small hand really well. I bought it from stock, but ordered another one last month (Cocobolo and M2.) I try not to think about it.

BladeZealot

Enlightened
cqbdude said:
Damn Russ that's some collection....
I love them Blackwoods.......someday...someday....
The closest blackwood I own are the skirmishes...and thats not even that close....:ohgeez:

The 630 is a great knife, Raul :) What knife is that you have pictured?

These are my EDC's. I might have one or two other knives :D

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
Hmmm... Every Day Carry....

Well, for the past ten years I've been carrying this in my left pant pocket :
whij8.jpg

A William Henry gents pocket knife, stainless damascus blade and carbon fiber scales. In my right pants pocket a simple Swiss Army knife, a Classic model (their smallest - I think).

In my jacket pockets :
smdamasteelmegaminibv8.jpg

A damasteel (stainless damascus) Vox Mega Mini; and a:
voxminivu7.jpg

Titanium Vox Mini (real light). Both Vox knives are small and have kydex sheaths and are real sharp. The WH and SAK Classic I have had for at least ten years, the Vox's are new.

Oh...and before I forget, one of my HAK's on my belt - usually this one a Coogler Claw :
cooglarclawid2.jpg

Cliff

Last edited:

lukus

Enlightened
I find the S30V to be a little difficult to remove the final wire edge when sharpening. It just seems to roll back and forth and doesn't want to pull off. 154CM and ATS-34 both seem to be a little "crisper" and the wire edge will mostly break off. I also seem to be able to get a finer edge with those two (can slice loosely held wrapping tissue paper) while the S30V will last a little longer when cutting cardboard, old carpet, and other kind of abrasive stuff.

BTW, the best way I've found to take off the wire edge is with a piece of hardwood (yellow pine also works well). Lightly drawing the edge in a slicing manner across the end grain of the wood will pull off most of the wire edge.

cosine

Newly Enlightened
A SAK. I'm right on the edge of buying a waved Endura or a BM 550 or 551, but can't decide on which on yet.

Brlux

Enlightened
I have 2 that I alternate between a Benchmade Mini Reflex auto which has served me well for over 6 years and a Kershaw Leek which is about 2 years old. They bolth are exelent knifes and have served me well. I usually cary the Kershaw when I think I am at a higher potential of using my knife in a semi destructive maner, posably going to be around water, may loose it, or am going somewhere where a true auto may be of questionable legality.
The Kershaw is a great knife for the money and from what I understand it is leagle everywhere but posably California.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'd like to mention something here. Just for a short time (and twice it happened) I used to carry a slip joint knive. I had it fold up on me in use a couple times.

So I'd ONLY carry a locker as a work knive.

Oh yeah, the slip joint was a largish SAK...

I was given a very nice Case Trapper Yellow by a customer, and while it looks killer good it will NEVER be my work knive as it too is a slip joint.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the office a two blade Congress pattern by Jerry McDonald SV30 blade steel and black jigged bone handles. In the woods a Hall Bounty Hunter with SV60 blade steel and Desert Ironwood handles. Yes, in case you are wondering, I do have another hobby on which I spend yet another unGodly amount of money---custom knives. I drive an old piece of crap though as a tradeoff. :awman:

Karl

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Just a reminder: I'm not going to move this thread for the time being but for future reference those of you enjoying the topic, knives, multi-tool, watches, gadgets and so on need to to use the "Knives, Mulit-tool, Watches, gadgets...forum", not the Cafe. It helps to keep the place a little better organized.

Thanks

Delvance

Enlightened
Just a little Victorinox pocket knife on me...the one with the push out pen haha. I'd carry something more useful but it's illegal here in AUS (which i kind of like actually).

OBXTucker

Newly Enlightened
Jeans Day: Microtech Executive Scarab S/E

Khaki's Day: Microtech UTX-70

Suit Day: William Henry B10 "auto" - my favorite!

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
OBXTucker said:
Jeans Day: Microtech Executive Scarab S/E

Khaki's Day: Microtech UTX-70
I can see why you're a Microholic.Org member! Can't get enough of them myself. :huh:

Enjoy!

Latest posts