What makes a flashlight tactical?

MarkusFlash

Newly Enlightened
The same thing that makes everything else tacticool...marketing.

:D I never said "tacticool" because the term pretty much implies the answer: marketing! I think my video and many contributers here came up with good points relating to true tactical lights.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
:D I never said "tacticool" because the term pretty much implies the answer: marketing! I think my video and many contributers here came up with good points relating to true tactical lights.

Absolutely.

I was just having a little fun. :naughty:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marketing buzzwords aside, it would be a tool that works really well, every time, the same way, as simply and ergonomically as possible, operable by muscle memory when fine motor control has been lost to stress and the user is completely preoccupied by the problem at hand, with no free time or brain power to mess with gadgets.

This is why, as fantastic and versatile as Zebralights are, they're about as "tactical" as a Swiss Army Knife.

Last edited:

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
I finally got my hands on a Streamlight Stinger DS HL. Great light for police work. It doesn't have lots of different modes, a strike bezel or multiple different types of strobe. It puts out 800 lumens and always comes on in high mode. Mode selection is by holding down the switch to go to 400 lumen medium or 200 low. Strobe can be activated with a double click but the only thing I use it for is directing traffic in combination with the red traffic wand. It's slightly longer than most 'tactical' lights so I can tuck it under my arm if I need both hands free.

I'd still rather a triple click to activate strobe (or the option to remove it entirely) because it sucks when you're trying to do something and strobe suddenly comes on unexpectedly and blinds you and your colleagues. This is one of my main complaints with the Tactical Impulse LE-1 I was previously using. The soft tap to change modes made it extremely easy to activate an unwanted strobe mode.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
As said it's more a marketing term to make the consumer fantasize they are...cooler or somehow more special...if the buy their light. Military and police departments generally leave it up to employees to decide what they want to carry. Military missions are more likely to to use nite vision goggles and small dim lights, so as to go unnoticed.

Beyond that for the average consumer it might mean a tail switch with direct to turbo feature. Quickly spot that snake in the grass, or that cat who keeps knocking the garbage can over making a mess.

For many a tail standing ability is more needed/desirable than playing Quick Draw Mcgraw. I tend to think it's more younger people who get drawn into the term "tactical". Older folks just want dependability, runtime and bright. For example I find 12 lumens works well as a tail standing nite light, while the young crowd complains that 1/2 lumen is to bright :duh2:

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got my hands on a Streamlight Stinger DS HL. Great light for police work. It doesn't have lots of different modes, a strike bezel or multiple different types of strobe. It puts out 800 lumens and always comes on in high mode. Mode selection is by holding down the switch to go to 400 lumen medium or 200 low. Strobe can be activated with a double click but the only thing I use it for is directing traffic in combination with the red traffic wand. It's slightly longer than most 'tactical' lights so I can tuck it under my arm if I need both hands free.

I'd still rather a triple click to activate strobe (or the option to remove it entirely) because it sucks when you're trying to do something and strobe suddenly comes on unexpectedly and blinds you and your colleagues. This is one of my main complaints with the Tactical Impulse LE-1 I was previously using. The soft tap to change modes made it extremely easy to activate an unwanted strobe mode.

I wish Streamlight would add the 10 tap system to the Stinger line (like they did with the Ultra Stinger), that way you can get rid of strobe.

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
What makes a flashlight "tactical" ? It's black. Oh, and it's got to be made of "aircraft grade aluminum" and have "Mil Spec anodizing". Plus it's got to have a cool name like "LightSabre Deatheater 9000 Double Plus Gluten-Free". Lacking any kind of ANSI standard, it's a content-free term.

R.W.D.

Enlightened
It's just a sales tactic no pun intended..
I literally have a black tactical rock sitting on my work bench. It's black so it won't be easily seen at night and it's smooth for high speed low drag for when you have to employ a tactical rock throw. It's got a glass breaker also, well I mean the whole thing is a glass breaker because it's tactical obviously. Only thing is that it doesn't have a bottle opener because it's so smooth and I feel that pretty much everything that surrounds me is a bottle opener.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only thing is that it doesn't have a bottle opener because it's so smooth and I feel that pretty much everything that surrounds me is a bottle opener.

-lol, isn't everything though? That's the truth; have lever, will open bottle.

R.W.D.

Enlightened
Haha yea I honestly don't think I own a "proper" bottle opener because I use literally everything I can grab.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I wish Streamlight would add the 10 tap system to the Stinger line (like they did with the Ultra Stinger), that way you can get rid of strobe.

The strobe feature is out of the way on my Stinger. You have to click it twice on purpose to get it to strobe and it's available no matter what setting you are on.
I don't dig on lights with strobe for the most part, but I find the Stinger method prevents an accidental activation. I have the older 350 lumen version so they may have changed things.
But my "older" Strion and Stinger both use a 'hold to adjust' interface and two clicks (not half presses) for a strobe. If I actually ever really need the strobe feature it's there, off to the side as it were. The 2014 Strion was an awesome backup to the 2014 Stinger using identical interfaces and very similar beams.
I like the ten tap feature for many-a Streamlight, but in my view at least believe the Stinger setup is ideal for police use. If I recall correct they ten tap'd the newer Strion.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The strobe feature is out of the way on my Stinger. You have to click it twice on purpose to get it to strobe and it's available no matter what setting you are on.
I don't dig on lights with strobe for the most part, but I find the Stinger method prevents an accidental activation. I have the older 350 lumen version so they may have changed things.
But my "older" Strion and Stinger both use a 'hold to adjust' interface and two clicks (not half presses) for a strobe. If I actually ever really need the strobe feature it's there, off to the side as it were. The 2014 Strion was an awesome backup to the 2014 Stinger using identical interfaces and very similar beams.
I like the ten tap feature for many-a Streamlight, but in my view at least believe the Stinger setup is ideal for police use. If I recall correct they ten tap'd the newer Strion.

I have little need for strobe or ramping modes on primary duty light, would much prefer a simple momentary and constant on function, which is why I like the high only ten tap option, but that's just me.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I recall correct they ten tap'd the newer Strion.

Yes they did. I picked up two Strion DS's recently and the option to remove strobe via Ten Tap is now included on the DS models at least. I agree with you that its out of the way and not easily/negligently activated, but you can eliminate it if you wish.

harro

Enlightened
Its been said by everyone already, but, ' a bit of this, and a bit of that ', not a smorgasboard of everything.
Everyone else has touched on virtually all aspects and made excellent arguments for their requirements, and my
requirements would be similar. A nice unobtrusive low, and a decent max when required ( just me, but I dislike
'turbo' re a light's output.... ).

:)

Last edited:

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened

I have the latest 800 lumen model Stinger and it's the same UI. Always turns on in high, hold switch in to cycle modes, double tap for strobe. Occasionally I accidentally double tap but it's easily fixed by tuening off then back on again. It's one of the best lights for police work I've ever used. It's not using the latest tech in some ways and there aren't many bells and whistles but it's solid, simple and reliable. It also doesn't look like a weapon ready to cut someone open with a crenellated bezel.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I like Mag's function set 3 (also used on the plain Mag Tac) - 1 click for momentary, 2 quick clicks for constant on, 3 clicks for low (good for checking IDs and the like).