What makes a flashlight tactical?

MarkusFlash

Newly Enlightened
Today I reviewed a light that is a bestseller and often advertised as "tactical" (sometimes called Tac Light):

There is almost nothing tactical about the light :D

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
I've been having a look at what my colleagues are carrying over the last few weeks. We are issued the Led Lenser F1 which is mandatory to carry on our belts and our vehicles all carry 2 x Topgun MKV (250 max lumens) flashlights with charging mounts. The most common lights I've seen where people use their own are as follows:

1. LED 3 or 4D Maglites
2. Led Lenser P7s
3. Fenix (TK11/12 maybe?)
4. Wolf Eyes Sniper or Pro Police

I see the occasional Olight or SureFire but Maglites and Led Lensers would easily be the most common. They are popular because CR123, AA, AAA and D alkalines are freely provided by our organisation. They are also the most well known brand names for torches among non-flashaholics in Australia.

A lot of my colleagues are interested in how bright and capable my Hound Dog, Elzetta Charlie and Stinger are when I use them at work but dig their heels in and insist on using the less capable lights we are provided with because they are free. Nobody cares about crenellated bezels (our ASP batons and OC spray are far more useful) and Maglites are still popular because nearly everyone still has a Maglite ring attached to their belt. Maglites also have a 'presence' about them that other lights dont have. A crook wont notice if you're holding a handheld tactical light but they will definitely notice a 4D Maglite, whether it's resting on your shoulder as you shine light into a car or dangling from your equipment belt. The Led Lenser F1 is popular because it is small but still bright.

'Tactical' lights don't really impress most police offiers I know. They just want decent, good value lights that are hard to break and take cheap batteries.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
'Tactical' lights don't really impress most police offiers I know. They just want decent, good value lights that are hard to break and take cheap batteries.

Interesting and welcome observations. I'm not a police officer, but I always look to see what lights they carry. I don't care what firearms or other weapons they are toting, but I always notice the lights. Police in my area are issued Streamlights. I've seen a few guys carrying Coast brand flashlights. Not that I spend a lot of time with cops, but I've never seen one carry a Surefire or other flashaholic brand that they'd have to buy.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
Interesting and welcome observations. I'm not a police officer, but I always look to see what lights they carry. I don't care what firearms or other weapons they are toting, but I always notice the lights. Police in my area are issued Streamlights. I've seen a few guys carrying Coast brand flashlights. Not that I spend a lot of time with cops, but I've never seen one carry a Surefire or other flashaholic brand that they'd have to buy.

Getting your hands on a SureFire in Australia is a big investment due to shipping and exchange rates. A lot of people just can't wrap their heads around the idea that a flashlight is a tool and like other tools there are differences between budget and premium brands. I also know people that can't believe I wear Oakley sunglasses and they feel better buying $20 sunglasses that they won't miss if they break them or lose them. My current pair of Oakleys are still going strong after nearly four years.

From talking to US police officers on social media it seems that Streamlight and Pelican lights are the most commonly issued. SureFire are sometimes issued but popular to purchase as not all departments issue a light.

I think the best setup is a mid sized rechargeable light like a Hound Dog, R1 Lawman or Stinger for the main light. This gives a nice throw, useable spill and works well for car stops or general outdoor work. This should be backed up by a second, smaller light that has more flood for close up work or building interiors. I currently use an Elzetta Charlie as my backup. Even with a standard lens as opposed to the flood lens the AVS head has a really nice beam that works well indoors and a twist of the tail cap to low mode makes it useful for a bunch of other stuff.

These are the tactics that matter to me when I think of a tactical light: how well the light works for the tasks I have to perform.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well put, especially the part about the difference between budget and premium brands. If I were to spend a night shift outside, in any profession, I'd take my Hound Dog XML with my Elzetta Bravo for back up, along with spare cells for both.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Not a police officer myself, but based on what I've read on the subject, you seem to be describing duty lights more than tactical lights.

The way I see it, the duty light is used for all the routine work that's probably >95% of uses. Traffic stops, accident investigations, surveying a scene, terse-but-not-violent interactions with suspects, vehicle searches, investigation, etc. Needs to run for hours at a time, but not necessarily at high intensity. Needs to be handy, but need not be an ergonomic wonder.

The tactical light could do a lot of the duty light functions, but that's not how it seems to be popularly imagined. Instead it's seen as something drawn for the purpose of a gunfight, SWAT deployment, searching for an armed suspect, or any high speed low drag imagery that can be made to stick. High intensity, short runtime, compatibility with picatinny rail or 1" mounting rings, momentary operation as primary mode, tailswitch, and expensive to operate seem to be their hallmarks.

There is surely a place for both in police work, but I suspect the latter's is a bit over-emphasized.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
Not a police officer myself, but based on what I've read on the subject, you seem to be describing duty lights more than tactical lights.

The way I see it, the duty light is used for all the routine work that's probably >95% of uses. Traffic stops, accident investigations, surveying a scene, terse-but-not-violent interactions with suspects, vehicle searches, investigation, etc. Needs to run for hours at a time, but not necessarily at high intensity. Needs to be handy, but need not be an ergonomic wonder.

The tactical light could do a lot of the duty light functions, but that's not how it seems to be popularly imagined. Instead it's seen as something drawn for the purpose of a gunfight, SWAT deployment, searching for an armed suspect, or any high speed low drag imagery that can be made to stick. High intensity, short runtime, compatibility with picatinny rail or 1" mounting rings, momentary operation as primary mode, tailswitch, and expensive to operate seem to be their hallmarks.

There is surely a place for both in police work, but I suspect the latter's is a bit over-emphasized.

I think you're on the money that a tactical light would better describe a light that would be used in conjunction with a firearm. We have mounted lights on our firearms which makes a light primarily designed for use with a firearm redundant but I can see the application if someone doesn't have a mounted light. A light being used in this scenario should not have multiple different modes and strobes that require complex clicking procedures which are common on many lights marketed as 'tactical lights'. Our weapon lights only have three modes: on, off and momentary on.

I understand the appeal of 'tactical lights'; I have one myself. The ability to choose multiple different light outputs for work around the house or walking the dog combined with the flexibility of tail stand and a pocket clip is great. These are not things I look for in a duty light though.

Narcco

Newly Enlightened
The only thing that makes Flashlight tactical is the method in which it is used. Anything on a light or package is just a selling point similar to advertisement.