what makes a HDS EDC so good???

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the plaudits above and add my 2 cents-
I got a B42GT and made it my EDC. The button interface is easy to use by touch, when you dig in your pocket and need to get the thing ON and shining while fumbling in the dark. 4 levels (of your choice) is fabulous. I know the GT tint is about as white as you can get; it's my white reference. I use rechargeable LiIons for nearly-free lumens daily, and carry normal lithiums around for backup - the HDS handles them all, properly.

So I modded mine by finding a Seoul LED that nearly matched the GT tint. Now I have about 100 lumens and the most perfect beam I have ever seen. Even the insides of the light are beautifully made.

If I had any minor criticisms, sometimes I fire it up and the level is wrong (I programmed it to remember last level), and I hit the button too fast to try to change it and end up turning it off. My old model doesn't tailstand as well as the later models. The clip is ugly, and without it, there's no good way to attach a lanyard. I leave just the screws in to keep it from rolling.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if you read Henry's "LED Flashlight White Paper" it will help you understand all the thought that went into this light.
http://www.hdssystems.com/Articles.html

My favorite feature is while using the light on the lower settings you can get instant momentary Max by holding the button, then upon release it returns to the setting you had it at.

There are always disagreements on CPF about whether a light should turn on low, med, or high first or whether it should remember your last setting. With an HDS you can have it any way you want!

cslinger

Enlightened
Oh and then there is all the thermal protections and battery over discharge protections, the fact it can be used with pretty much any battery you can stuff in there (being faciscious of course but will work with any 123 type battery).

clipse

Enlightened
I love my HDS EDC U60. Its hard to say why it is so great. Its something you have to own for awhile before you can understand why. I recently had mine upgraded with a Seoul SSC LED by Milky. Absolutely awesome. This light has been reborn. I can't imagine a better light to have.

clipse

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, if I could only keep one light, it would be my SSC-modded Basic 42. Close to 100 lumens on high, roughly 10 hours of ~20 Lumens on primary, 30 hours of ~8 Lumens on Secondary and a month of about 1 Lumen on low. A nice wide hotspot, very respectable throw for such a small light, dead flat regulation and probably the very most LiIon friendly lights around.

To be honest though, my Jetbeam C-LE is very very nice as well... Slightly brighter on high with a 14500 cell and a slightly brighter spillbeam on any equilavent brightness setting due to the OP reflector. It's a bit less bulky and should have similar runtimes with both on LiIon cells, but the Jetbeam lacks the flat regulation and relies on just PWM for lower levels and of course, has long term reliability issues with LiIon cells.

Still, until my C-LE dies, it's my favorite then it will be back to the modded HDS. And I might try to get a decent heatsink in the C-LE and a Flupic.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
matrixshaman said:
EVERYTHING was done right and done 1st class and top quality. Ultimate EDC is a name well earned by HDS/Novatac.

+1

Best production light in it's class...simply awesome!
buttrock.gif

If the OP doesn't own one, he should...then he'd know the answer to his question...
smile.gif

CFU

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
Yeah, if I could only keep one light, it would be my SSC-modded Basic 42. Close to 100 lumens on high, roughly 10 hours of ~20 Lumens on primary, 30 hours of ~8 Lumens on Secondary and a month of about 1 Lumen on low. A nice wide hotspot, very respectable throw for such a small light, dead flat regulation and probably the very most LiIon friendly lights around.

To be honest though, my Jetbeam C-LE is very very nice as well... Slightly brighter on high with a 14500 cell and a slightly brighter spillbeam on any equilavent brightness setting due to the OP reflector. It's a bit less bulky and should have similar runtimes with both on LiIon cells, but the Jetbeam lacks the flat regulation and relies on just PWM for lower levels and of course, has long term reliability issues with LiIon cells.

Still, until my C-LE dies, it's my favorite then it will be back to the modded HDS. And I might try to get a decent heatsink in the C-LE and a Flupic.

I will trade you 2 C-LEs for your modded HDS:naughty:
but I do like the flupic upgrade idea:goodjob:

the stock c-le pwm is much slower than flupic v2.2

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
hhhmmmmm.........ok, from MY perspective;

good points;

quite compact
very well made
fancy electronics

not so good; (compared to new LED lights)

too expensive
too wide for edc
low output
short run time

I had two of them, both 60's....If I had them again, they would not be the ones that I would pick as my first or even second choice. Too many better performing lights out there right now.....sorry......perhaps the performance of the new models might bring them back into the pack and on track.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a reprogrammed B 60. Reprogrammed exactly the way I want it -- probably different than anyone else's settings. That would come close to being enough, particularly when considering all of the things others have said.

There's one more thing. I'm generally not a very materialistic person but I'm very fussy about everything I carry and handle every day. Life is too short to carry and work with things I don't like. When I use a knife or a light it is very important to me that I like them.

They don't have to be expensive -- they just have to be right. If it's not right it's a bummer every time I use it. If it's right there is joy in every use. Life is too short to miss any joy that I don't have to. HDS lights are pets for the hands.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pumaman said:
I will trade you 2 C-LEs for your modded HDS:naughty:
but I do like the flupic upgrade idea:goodjob:

the stock c-le pwm is much slower than flupic v2.2

I don't think I'll ever part with my modded HDS.

Having said that, I think if the Flupic @ 1.2A is as bright or nearly as bright as the stock C-LE on a 14500, I think I'd carry that over the HDS as a daily carry.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
derfyled said:
I think no one has talked about the perfect, flat regulation. I never seen any light being so perfectely regulated.

I think this is a good reading about all the features:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/hds_edcu60xr.htm

+1 on this. You never have to consider whether for the outing into the woods you want to change the battery out for a fresh one to get max output. Whatever discharge state of your battery, you know each of the settings will have consistent output, day to day.

That, and the sturdy construction and UI, plus the solid engineering that went into it, are what make this a superb and real tool of a light, rather than one that has fancy features and perhaps even good output but cannot be trusted to always work, every time.