What makes HDS lights so good? Low lumens & quite expensive for their size.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why then do people want more and more throw and lumens?

Is it a status thing to be on top of the big guns?
Pretty much. A big number on the box sells even though a light with a more modest output would be more generally practical. My HDS Rotary, for instance, rarely goes over the 25 lumen mark.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why then do people want more and more throw and lumens?

Is it a status thing to be on top of the big guns?

Buy for your 95% use case, and squint for the other 5%. Unless you want to pay 20 times too much ;)

About once a year you'll want to see further, or get more light in a spill, than your (real) ideal EDC [Considering cost as a parameter]. Getting that once-a-year use built into your EDC will double or triple its cost, roughly speaking. Having an HDS-style light with the reliability and interface AND the ability to pump screaming lumens... or having a big clunky super-throw torch with a diffuser on so that it's useful most days, and you pop it off to see further. You're paying in some way - dollars, size, features, reliability, and so on.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
A Porsche can't carry many passengers and its expensive for its size, too.

HDS lights are incredibly well built and have exceptionally versatile electronics. Though they are more expensive than other options that put out more lumens, I feel that an HDS is actually worth the $100-200, whereas other companies (I will not name names) do not always live up to their $50-60.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Clicky 120 has an Orsam Golden Dragon and is rated 0.3 lumens, runtime: 128 ANSI hours and the 200 Rotary with XPG LED has the same rating. 4Sevens CR123 light with XPG LED is rated 0.2 lumens for 15 days, so if efficacy is important then HDS may not be the better choice.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
I just wanted to know why these fairly expensive little flashlights have a lot of followers, that love this brand.

What is the deal with HDS flashlights?

For their intended purpose, EDC, they are as near to absolute perfection as any physical object can be. Not "pretty good except...", no - perfection. Price follows from that.

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened
Let's also recall the excellent feature-rich interface that offers so much functionality with just a single button (or twisty). The lock-out, battery detection, ramping, and adjustable quad outputs are very big draws for me. I have a rotary however I prefer the simplicity of the clicky.

Mike

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy HDS lights because there bombproof, programable to how I want them. I love the low low modes, and the beam quality.
I own lots of other lights; Surefire,McGismo, Zebralight, Sunwayman, Quark, Fenix, Solarforce, Pelican etc
But the HDS is the best allrounder and one of the sturdiest, so that's why it made it into my collection for Every Day Carry.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I run my HDS B42 with a Seoul P4 High CRI emitter on the lowest output ( ~1 lumen) and on the highest output (~80 lumens) at most a few minutes at a time. I run it on medium (~20 lumens) and medium low (~5 lumens) sometimes for hours at a time. If you're concerned about cell life, understanding the efficiency at the levels most used is the heart of the matter. I did a simple runtime test and got between 11.5 and 12 hours of constant running before stepdown using one Surefire 123. That's 230 lumen-hours. This is about 20% less than a Quark Regular 123 which is currently advertised at 22 lumens for 13 hours (286 lumen-hours). This light uses a much newer emitter that's also more efficient due to the cool white tint. My assessment is that in my most used output range the HDS circuit is quite efficient.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't personally own an HDS, but I can see why people appreciate them: Super dependable, good interface and ergonomics, long run times. If you want your EDC to be absolutely reliable then an HDS is perhaps the ideal EDC.

HDS aren't for everyone though. They're expensive. And quite large and heavy compared to other lights that use the same cell size. And their max output is quite low. If what you want from your EDC is a tiny pocket rocket with the brightest possible light in the smallest practical package then HDS is not for you. You'd be better off buying a Sunwayman or Jetbeam, which offer over twice the lumens in a smaller lighter package.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS lights are, IMO the best, period. Wonderfully robust, customizeable, efficient.

That being said, Henry opts for efficiency over output. Another point: Henry's stated outputs are near-constant for the stated runtimes. That can lead to some loss of overall runtime. To use the example others put forth, a Quark 123. It is a newer light that uses a different, semi-regulated driver with a more efficient emitter. So it may start at 0.3 lumens for the first hundred hours or so, but will slowly dim in output over time, as the cell is no longer capable of providing enough current. The drop in input current, and subsequently output, leads to longer overall runtimes, but not always at the stated output.

The HDS light, however, will start out at an initially lower output, but maintain that output as a constant for as long as possible. So the HDS driver is, in reality, more efficient.

davyro

Enlightened
I'm the owner of 3 HDS lights all different models & i think they're just about the perfect EDC light for me.I love the size, weight & feel of them but these things aren't the best things about HDS lights.The beam profile is great &my Rotary when on full power lights up a very big area.I also own a well known companies EDC light rated at 270 lumen on max,well my rotary blows this light away.I do own a thrower but the light thats in my pocket now is one of my HDS lights.The UI is great,they're bomb proof & the warranty is second to none.

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
For me.. owner of two HDS 170T Clicky (just a matter oftime before I place another order).

Ergonomics (Excellent)
Size (Perfect)
Lumens (Good enough)
Low-Low (Excellent)
Runtime (Good enough)
Cost (Reasonable)
Quality (Excellent)
Duarability (Excellent)
Weight (Heavy)
Assecories, clips, rubber buttons etc: (Not many options)
EDC (Really good)
Spare parts (from HDS, great)
User friendly (customisation, very appreciated)

Overall: 4.5 out of 5.What would make it a 5? GITD button as option or available (or orange, blueetc), titanium version run again, and somewhat more lumens or longer runtime.

For me the HDS have been my EDC the last 1,5 years. Have bought and looked at many 1xCR123A flashlights but HDS has always triumphed. Its just so perfect for me. Everything can break, everything can be improved but so far the HDS is my all time favourite light. Have had many lights, and sold most of them. But HDS is a real keeper! And I appreciate the smallscale of Henrys business compared to larger companies. He is one of those persons with great enthusiasm andknowledge of something I feel happy to support.

Last edited:

Rob001

Newly Enlightened
I had wondered this as well. Might have to get one as my next edc.

ironhorse

Enlightened
You can read all you want about them and I did. After a long time I finally ordered the 120. I have used it daily for over a year now. It is a light that you have to have to really appreciate. The low level is amazing and it can be set up however you want.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a rotary however I prefer the simplicity of the clicky.
The Rotary is every bit as simple as the Clicky, and in fact can be programmed to work exactly like a Clicky. The only difference is that one of the presets can be assigned to the dial which gives you quick access to the full range of levels. After using the Rotary, I could never go back to the Clicky.

One benefit of the Roptary is that you can hand the light off to someone and they will be able to operate it with only minimal instructions (i.e. "Press the button to turn it on and off; twist the dial to adjust the brightness."). The Clicky, on the other hand, is not immediately intuitive and can remain inscrutible even after an explanation and quick demo. It got to the point that my wife would ask me to turn it on to the appropriate level before handing it to her. With the Rotary, I just hand it to her, and she sets it to the level she wants, so if you want simplicity and ease of use, it's hard to beat the Rotary.

Now if only Henry would get my high CRI Rotary in the mail!

Last edited:

Jackyl

Enlightened
After 8 long years, I'm about to find out. 200 Rotary should be here in a few days. I am not entirely up to date on current offerings, but in response to what someone else mentioned on page 1...are Jetbeam and SWM really offering 1xCR123 with 400+ actual OTF lumens?

spc smith

Enlightened
John Galt,

I tested my Olight i1 EOS on 2 Surefire CR123's. On both medium and high it maintained its brightness without dimming at at all. I did not do it on low which is rated at 72hrs on 4 lumens. But I willdo that next. I am very pleased with this little lights performance in maintaining its brightness. But this is about HDS lol..

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the originals so much, I can't bring myself to spend money on one of the new models.

bansuri

Enlightened
1. Battery protection
2. 4 programmable levels
3. Rugged construction
4. Pottted electronics.

These are the features I want, so HDS is what I carry.