What makes HDS lights so good? Low lumens & quite expensive for their size.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
6 years carrying HDS lights for work (U60XR, U60XRGT, U60GT, U60, CLICKY 140T, TWISTY 85TR), using at least 10 times a day, dropped, frozen, got dirty and the only problem I had was with the twisty and it got fixed quickly by Henry. I tried several other brands (surefire, 4sevens, olight, nitecore, liteflux, swm, fenix, etc...) and even if some are great lights, I always come back to my trusty HDS...

Don't get fooled by lumen numbers, 140 lumens is a lot of light in pitch black and it's really not that far from 200 in the eye perception...

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
John Galt,

I tested my Olight i1 EOS on 2 Surefire CR123's. On both medium and high it maintained its brightness without dimming at at all. I did not do it on low which is rated at 72hrs on 4 lumens. But I willdo that next. I am very pleased with this little lights performance in maintaining its brightness. But this is about HDS lol..

Perhaps not visually, but then, the human eye is quite poor at telling you what is actually going on. But the fact remains, if you look at the run time graphs for 99% of th eother lights out there, you will see they all have a period of initially high output [which can, and often does last for 45+ minutes], followed by a steady drop-off to a much lower output as the batteries fail to deliver the juice necessary ot maintain that original level of output.

To the contrary, HDS's [after their initial burst output] maintain a steady output for as long as is possible, then drop to a level that is able to be maintained at a steady output, and so on and so-forth until the battery is no longer capable of powering the light at all.

EDIT:

To the OP. I own currently, 3 HDS's, a 100 High CRI, a 170 tactical and my B42XR replacement, my 140n [with XP-E].

I have tried other lights. I even recently branched into the custon lights, discussing with our resident modder and genius Milkyspit. I talked back and forth with him for weeks, hammered out exactly the light I was looking for... More output, more runtime, more throw, durable, simple and easy to use... And I got all of that in an excellent, wonderful light. But even with a 1 cell body, my Expurgator cannot even now replace my EDC... My 140n. It is THE best light ever designed. The pinnacle, the peak, the one by which others are judged.

I still regularly use my Expurgator, and don't think I'll ever sell it or trade it... But my HDS is my go-anywhere, take-any-abuse light. You're right. There are lights in its class that have longer runtimes, more output, more throw, differing LED options, better clips, different user interfaces, equal customer service/warranty. But I have not yet found a light that has all of these in as effective and efficient combination.

IF your interest has been piqued, please feel free ot order one, any model, any output. Use it for a month, a week, a day. But use it. If at the end of that period, you still don't see the point, sell it... You will only lose a few dollars on your investment, which is much more than can be said of other brands. And you will have a chance to experience the genius of the lights.

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own several versions of HDS lights and can tell you that they are 100% reliable and easy on batteries. If you could only have one light (don't recommend that!) make it an HDS. Reliable, strong, long lasting.... they *work.*

spc smith

Enlightened
John Galt,

Yes you are right in every way, but they are quite expensive. And $200 dollars for any light is just out of the budget no matter what the light can do or take. I'm sure it is of fine workmanship though=)

Kevinkw1

Newly Enlightened
Oooo, reading this thread makes me itchy for one again. So far have resisted as there is a 6 week waiting period and there is a $40 shipping fee to oz, I hope that means its an express courier!

One thing I don't really understand is the price difference between the 120 lumen version for $99 and the 200 lumen version for $199. The rest of the light is the same?

thaugen

Enlightened
"One thing I don't really understand is the price difference between the 120 lumen version for $99 and the 200 lumen version for $199. The rest of the light is the same?"

The 200 Lumen version uses the XP-G, 120 lumen version uses the Osram Golden Dragon. The rest of the light is exactly the same. I have both and like both...Personally I think the 120 is one of the best deals going in the flashlight world. There are even some available at Battery Station right now...not sure if they ship to Australia...

Last edited:

Kevinkw1

Newly Enlightened
"One thing I don't really understand is the price difference between the 120 lumen version for $99 and the 200 lumen version for $199. The rest of the light is the same?"

The 200 Lumen version uses the XP-G, 120 lumen version uses the Osram Golden Dragon. The rest of the light is exactly the same. I have both and like both...Personally I think the 120 is one of the best deals going in the flashlight world. There are even some available at Battery Junction right now...not sure if they ship to Australia...

Ah thanks kindly for the info, will check out bj!

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I watched one of our fellow CPF members turn his HDS on and throw it repeatedly against concrete and a brick pillar. It was a little beat up but still worked fine. He wasn't being easy on it either. It was my first experience with a HDS and I must say that I was very impressed by the shear abuse that it shrugged off right in front of my eyes. I do not own one myself but after seeing this I think I'll have to clear some funds..:devil:

someguy4747

Newly Enlightened
The other day I was running late and I was looking for my Rotary and I remembered that I had thrown it on the bed. I pulled the covers back quickly and my HDS flew across the room(about 15ft) and landed on the wood floor. I checked to make sure the floor was ok then I picked up my HDS and left. Later I inspected the light and there was not a single mark and of course it works perfectly.

The light is built built like a tank and you can feel it when you hold the light. On top of being built like a tank the light is built to high tolerances and it shows. The rotary dial is silky smooth yet tactile. The attention to detail and finish is impressive. Every part of the light seems well thought out. Then there is the UI. It is super versatile with a lot of special features that can be enabled or disabled such as momentary, locator beacon, burst and memory to name a few.

Bertrand

Newly Enlightened
Just the perfect EDC light IMHO. Hard for me to imagine a light I'd rather have on me 24/7.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like everything about what HDS does except for its die-hard dedication to the 123 batt format. The most important thing in a flashlight for me is AA battery compatibility with my other portable electronic devices, which greatly simplifies chargers/spares, and gives many back-up power options like two-way cannibalization and store bought; alkaline and NiMh are just bonus chemistries not available to 123s. If I need outright power, 14500s are even better than 16340s, while still retaining one-way cannibalization options.

If Henry ever decides to do something in a AA (esp. 1xAA) I'd be there is a second. Until then, looks like the foreign companies will earn my FL $$.

Jackyl

Enlightened
I LOVE my 200l rotary. The UI is amazing and love being able to set it up the way I like. Only took me about 15 min to "master" the programming once I put the book down. The size is also perfect IMO. The one thing I would change about it, and it doesn't even bother me at all, is the knurling on the batt. tube. It appears to be the same as the knurling on the body, but it's not nearly as grippy. I also like how easy it looks to mod when the time comes. The thing looks as bright or possibly brighter with a used cell than my 260l Malkoff M60-Q5 with new cell, only without that awesome hotspot and crazy throw. Still, I am impressed by it's throw and output considering the seemingly low rating.

Jackyl

Enlightened
I forgot to mention the tactical strobe. I have always found em to be a gimmick and undesirable, but I actually set it as my option "D" on this light because it actually disorients like you always read it is suppose to do. ;)

LauraQ

Newly Enlightened
I bought a 120E from Battery Station recently...just to see what the fuss was all about. Can I just say WOW. This light is awesome! It says 120 lumens, but I'm pretty sure it's more. I'm beginning the Great Sell-off of a bunch of other lights to fund another HDS. That's how much I like this light. Great build quality, great output, feels great in the hand...I could go on, but you get the idea. All I can say is GET ONE!