What on your belt/pocket right now?

dr. Chernobyl

Newly Enlightened
my current EDC, also I carry Iphone 4S with mophie battery case, wallet and keys with peanut Ti lighter, zippo lighter fluid tank and fox40 micro whistle on the keyring which is detachable from main keys

white bottle is alcohol antiseptic if anybody is wondering :D

EDPmF72.jpg

grZk4S2.jpg

MobileEMP

Newly Enlightened
21Mozqfl.jpg
Currently I have my V11R with a custom pocket clip I installed. The clip is fixed and points directly to max on the control ring so I never have a problem locating high. I love this light!

*Edit: Clarification.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice add on.

If you use it much, send it to vinhnguyen54.

The v11rvn is 900lm!
I swapped the clip from my c20cvn with the v11rvn.
Black on black

e2a6equv.jpg

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice lights. I have a couple C20Cs I modded myself.

The first one has an MTG2 at 3 amps. Driver is a Nanjg 105c with Zener diode mode and DrJones lumodrv firmware. It's very floody and bright. But I get nervous using it since it runs on 2x18350 IMR cells in series and has no low voltage protection. I'd guess 1500-1700 lumens OTF.

The second is running with a triple XPG2, each LED a different tint. Using a Carclo 10511 triple-TIR optic, with the front face polished for more throw. Driver is a Nanjg 105c with Comfychair FET mod and DrJones lumodrv firmware. Pulls over 7 amps on a Samsung 20r 18650 INR cell but gets hot FAST. Better to run it on a protected 18650 to keep the heat manageable. Beautiful tint on this one and throwier than the MTG2. Also much safer to use as it only runs on a single cell and retains low voltage protection. Longer runtime at max too, though neither light can be run at max for extended periods due to heat. I'd guess around 1500 lumens OTF.

My current EDC is a heavily modded Aleto N8 budget zoomie. It's tiny for an 18650 zoomie at just 97 mm long x 24 mm wide. I built and attached a sideswitch to the outside, and removed the tailcap switch. Uses the same driver as in my triple XPG2 C20C. The driver provides around 6 amps to a dedomed XML2. With the mods, this light's flood is wider than the spillbeam on my reflector lights... nearly 90 degrees. And the spot mode provides good throw for such a small light (much throwier than a Sipik 68).

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very impressive.
I'd like to see the tint on the triple.

I like the throwy beam of the single xml2 in mine.

1300lm two mode, and strobe /sos is still retained.
The 18650 lasts forever!

Unless I'm building a light from a bare host, I'm happy to have vinh do my moding.

The c20cvn was $65 in one of his sales.
Couldn't pass up a 1300lm c20cvn for $65!

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a mod of a budget light I've been working on. The original light is an Aleto N8 that I purchased on Ebay. I purchased it because at 108mm x 25mm it was the smallest 18650 zoomie I could find. I made the following modifications:

1. Used Greased Lightning to remove the gold anodizing, then polished up the bare aluminum with Blue Magic.
2. Removed tailcap clicky switch and shortened tailcap.
3. Filed down inside of pill, top and bottom of body, top and bottom of bezel.
4. Used checkering file to convert vertical lines on bezel into square cut knurling. Also added matching square cut knurling in a ring near the tailcap.
5. Replaced stock 6-mode driver with a Nanjg 105c with DrJones lumodrv electronic switch firmware. (lumodrv has shortcuts to min, max, 25%; and it has 2-way ramping with 34 visually linear steps; also hidden strobe, momentary mode and voltage meter)
6. Performed Comfychair's FET mod on the Nanjg 105c. This should enable the driver to pull upwards of 6 amps on a fresh IMR 18650.
7. Installed electronic side switch and wiring to the driver.
8. Filed down inside of lens mount to make room for larger lens.
9. Stock lens was 18mm wide with around an 18mm focal length. Currently I've replaced it with a 20mm wide lens with a 15mm focal length, but may replace that later with a fresnel lens.
10. Pill was hollow. I built a copper heatsink to to go under the star.
11. Replaced stock aluminum star with direct copper star from Illumination Supply.
12. Replaced stock cool white XML emitter with a dedomed XM-L2 neutral white. New tint is fairly warm yellow-orange, with no noticeable green.
13. Replaced head and tailcap springs. Solder-braided the replacement springs.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the mod. In its current form its 97mm long x 25mm wide. It's nearly the same size as a Sipik 68, but is MUCH brighter and throws much further (My meter showed 48k lux on a fresh protected 18650). In flood mode, the beam is 82 degrees wide, which is far wider than any stock zoomie... and is wider than the spill of most lights with conventional reflectors.

The fresnel lenses I've tried so far are nice and thin, but have disappointing throw compared to the 20mm aspheric. I have some new fresnels due tomorrow and will give them a shot. With a fresnel lens I can get a wider floodbeam (over 92 degrees), and a can reduce the length of the light to 92mm. I haven't decided yet how much throw I'm willing to sacrifice to get those benefits.

Last edited:

creyc

Enlightened
This tends to be the daily carry for the past year or so, not the prettiest. The D25A has a neutral/warm 4000K XM-L2. Sheepsfoot on the Mini-Grip.

uWCwe69l.jpg

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS 120 HCRI. Not sure why. I like bright lights, but this light manages to force its way into my pocket.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pockets - Aeon attached to a SF Pirahna bottle opener and a Benchmade Pocket Rocket.

Belt - SF E2D with a TNT single mode module.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the lousy pic - iPhone didn't do a great job.

(Aforementioned iPhone 5 always in pocket, too.)

After years (literally) of going back and forth different lights, the Haiku has finally claimed its rightful place as my "always in pocket" EDC. I've tried smaller, bigger, dimmer, brighter - but this one is just the right combination of all the things I like best.

It is a High CRI version - uses the Nichia emitter that Don refers to as the "119V." Never lets me down.

Also carry a little Spyderco Ladybug3 plain edge. No, it ain't a big 'ol impressive blade (I have my share of such knives) but it is small, light and sharp enough to have earned its spot in my pocket. I abuse the heck out of it, too...yesterday I cut open 4 bags of paver sand and 2 bags of Quikrete along with several boxes (working in my yard.) Washed it off and stuck it back in my pocket. I'll give it a little TLC sometime this weekend, but it holds the edge well and serves my day-to-day needs.

hydro_pyro

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix PD32UE goes with me everywhere. The neutral-white color makes it suitable for accent lighting during product photography, and it also gets used for technical work almost every day.