What was the light that got you hooked as a hobbyist? Still have it?

cistallus

Enlightened
Always liked flashlights.

But for really getting into them: that was from stumbling on CPF when searching for a good small versatile light to take on vacation around 7 years ago.

Found the LiteFlux LF2X (the twisty, not the LF2XT clicky), amazing light for the time, and still is, actually. And yes I still have it but no longer EDC it since it's irreplaceable and I already lost then found it a couple times.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it's a few lights.

I started with Mags back in 1979, when I started in EMS and Fire.

In 1982, I found the LA Screw "Smoke Cutter", carried that for years, with my bunker gear.

In 1984 the Mag MiniMag quickly became my EDC, nothing else that I knew about, at that time, like it.

In 1985 I got my first Streamlight, the SL-20, what a GREAT light that was/is! As I was working straight night works, it paid for itself in no time.

in 1995 I got my first Surefires, 2 - 6P's, and a 9P. My co-workers couldn't believe the light they put out!

In 2008 I started down the Malkoff road, most of my SureFire's got them, and many of my Mags also.

jdboy

Enlightened
While I had several MiniMags and a Inova X5 the light that really hooked my was my NiteCore SR3. I really enjoyed the light and it opened me up to trying others in similar platforms. I don't have it any longer as I sold it to a guy I work with.

Last edited:

Camo5

Newly Enlightened
I would say the Black Diamond spot is my first taste of a good flashlight, up from a bulky plastic 2 D incan that sits in my truck now. I still have the headlamp and use it on every camping trip. Recently I acquired an Olight s30R II, and it fills every use gap that my headlight couldn't. I would never dream of selling these, though I might upgrade to a BD revolt

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Don't remember which I got first:
Surefire E2 - not E2E - still around
Arc LS - still around, with all THREE tailcaps
Arc AAA - there are a couple still around the house, not sure if one of them was the first one or not. Don't thing so, the first was on the keyrind so long it actually wore out

SidewaysLS4

Newly Enlightened
An interesting new hobby of sorts for sure. My concept of a 'nice' flashlight for some time was a 80-90's version of Maglite, lol. I had some sort of Home Depot big lantern type flashlight with 4 D batteries and I needed a smaller more functional light. After some reading at these forums, I got a Fenix E40 which introduced me to non-stone age flashlight technology. After that I became enlightened (pun intended). The E40 is still going strong, I love that light. Keeping in the theme of really cool lights, I picked up a Peak Beam Maxa Beam short arc spotlight at an auction for some Podunk town and fixed it up with 12AH of custom lipo batteries and regulator...now there's a light! LOL. So between these two examples of portable light technology, I'm hooked

leadfoot13us

Newly Enlightened
I loved my first 3, D cell Maglite many years ago. I still have it today actually. I recently built a LED panel for starting seeds indoors during the winter and that peaked my interested in flashlights again.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK15 with the 400 lumen XP-G. I had never seen anything like it at the time. From then on I have been hopelessly addicted

Glock 22

Enlightened
Been awhile back, but the one that got me hooked was a Surefire E1B. One of the best lights made in my opinion.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
The classic Fenix PD35 that is the first light of many I'm sure. Still have it and will never sell it as it is my first after all :laughing:

jonathan.eric

Newly Enlightened
Going camping in boy scouts as a kid I always thought maglites were the best, I still like my 4D. They were decently bright, water resistant and impossible to lose due to their size.

After that I didn't pay much attention to flashlights aside from the basic energizer headlamps that I loved for night fishing. Then around 2012 I purchased my Fenix LD01 and kept it in my glove box.

A little before Christmas I got on the internet and looked at the Fenix website and was amazed. Things had certainly changed in the flashlight field. I purchased 3 PD32 UE, one for me and the other two I gave as gifts to Dad and brother.

The LD01 got me looking and the PD32 UE got me hooked.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
These guys .... they were one of the first to have a really nice looking, quality built flashlight. I don't understand why all the bashing? :confused:

I still have these, in fact the photo isn't quite 24 hours old yet. I think I have a few more laying around, probably in the gun safe or something like that.

eoNHzfX.jpg

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nitecore d10 got me hooked. Gave it as a present to my nephew, but regretted it.... So i had to find a used one on the markedplace. I dont use it that mutch, but i like to play with it. Got trits, the tube is stripped for ano and the alu is polished. Yesterday i got a new led for it, so im going to install the new led today. Lots of fun upgrading old lights :)

GearHunter

Enlightened
I'm still not sure if be considered a hobbyist by CPF standards but the light that got me started me on the road away from the mag and mini mags I carried for years both as ican and led upgrades was the Fenix Pd30. Saw an ad somewhere and thought " why would I pay 60 bucks ( ? Or some outrageous amount) for a freaking Chinese light? But for some reason I kept thinking about it and finially ordered it. Yep still have it....

A80CBF98-0401-41DE-A318-C340D5802AE3_zpsjppg0mjz.jpg

Cajun72

Newly Enlightened
Sanyo Cadnica Rechargeable NL-421, still have it but looking for another!!!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For me it's a few lights.

I started with Mags back in 1979, when I started in EMS and Fire.

In 1982, I found the LA Screw "Smoke Cutter", carried that for years, with my bunker gear.

In 1984 the Mag MiniMag quickly became my EDC, nothing else that I knew about, at that time, like it.

In 1985 I got my first Streamlight, the SL-20, what a GREAT light that was/is! As I was working straight night works, it paid for itself in no time.

in 1995 I got my first Surefires, 2 - 6P's, and a 9P. My co-workers couldn't believe the light they put out!

In 2008 I started down the Malkoff road, most of my SureFire's got them, and many of my Mags also.

These guys .... they were one of the first to have a really nice looking, quality built flashlight. I don't understand why all the bashing? :confused:

I still have these, in fact the photo isn't quite 24 hours old yet. I think I have a few more laying around, probably in the gun safe or something like that.

eoNHzfX.jpg

I'm still old school like that.
I have modernernized my light collection since joining CPF...mostly with old school brands.
Even a few Rayovacs lately.

Gunnerboy

Enlightened
The Hyperion CE-R I bought in 2007 from the long-defunct Chinese webstore Supertactical. A single CR123A light with a Cree P4 LED that put out a whopping 140lm on high. At the time, comparable to JetBeam's offering, at just half the price of the Fenix P1D-CE.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alway liked and lights. Nothing beyond mags and pistol grip spots. Got tired of replacing spots. Researched and got an Eagletac T20C2 and some modules. Still have it, it's a permanent uv light now for my wife's rock and gem hobby.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
Fenix P3D is what got me into the higher end flashlights.

It has since died. Looking for its replacement is what really got me hooked. So many flashlights to choose from today.

Bob