What was your prep for today?

Poppy

Flashaholic
Fortunately none of us are on any regular meds, but occasionally, someone needs a few days of albuterol in a nebulizer form. Called the doc a couple of days ago for a new script.
They are doing tele-doctoring as much as possible.
Picked up the albuterol this morning.
While I was there, I also picked up a bottle of Tylenol, and a bag of Ruffles, and a box of cheese-tid-bits.
Can't go wrong with a couple of extra snacks. :)

Last edited:

Chadder

Enlightened
I almost forgot about this thread! I have been to busy prepping to read it. I do have plenty of toilet paper. I found gloves and grabbed a couple of boxes. I never thought I would need to prep for virus. This has made me rethink everything.

Keitho

Enlightened
T.P. is always a good prep. ...
One of the many reasons to travel, and not just to the richest 30 countries on earth, but the other 160...one learns quickly that in most places on earth, t.p. isn't a right, it's a privilege. And, one quickly learns why it is so impolite in most places on earth to pick up food or reach towards someone else with one's left hand...

I don't enjoy seeing suffering, but I do enjoy the experience of being reminded of what a privileged life I lead, and seeing others being reminded (many for the very first time) of the same.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I added a BiC lighter to my stockpile.

Mrs Fixer ran out of coffee filters this morning. She forgot to stop by the store for more. She asked if I have any stashed."who me, stash stuff?", "uh no". See I figure if I let her know I have 1000 stashed away they'll end up like my BiC lighter stash……depleted when I need them. She knows darn well I have some stashed somewhere but also knows if the day ever arrives we are stuck with campfire coffee that I've got a supply set aside for grounds free percolated coffee.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Long-time-no-post here. I'm not actually a prepper of sorts, I'm just into gear and general edc stuff. But lately, before the virus severely hit us, I've stockpiled on canned goods. Here's what I have so far to endure COVID-19:

Food - Good for 2mos
Water - Good for 3 weeks
Alcohol - 3 gallons
Latex gloves - Good for 2mos
Surgical Masks - Good for 3mos
Booze - Good for 2mos
Lights - Armytek Predator v2.5, Nightcore SRT-3, Olight S1R II Winter, S1R, S10, 2x i3T + others
Knives - Paramilitary 2, CRKT CEO, Maven & Squid, Ganzo FH-11, etc.
Firearm - Springfield Armory XDM-9 3.8 + Olight Valkyrie Mini II
Ammo - 300rds
Tools - Leatherman & SAK
Radio - Baofeng uv5r x 2
Powerbank - Anker Powercore 20000 PD, Anker Powercore 10000 PD + others
"Button Pushers" - numerous lighters with paperclip attached to the ends (you get the idea) to press elevator buttons & quickly sanitize thereafter.

My list is by no means extensive as I live in the city. Tomorrow, I'll be heading out to buy more food & water (and booze [emoji2957]). Hoping the shelves will be restocked.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Latex gloves - Good for 2mos
Surgical Masks - Good for 3mos
Booze - Good for 2mos

My list is by no means extensive as I live in the city. Tomorrow, I'll be heading out to buy more food & water (and booze [emoji2957]). Hoping the shelves will be restocked.
Thanks for your post.
During 9/11 I served at ground zero, and was given a mask.
Afterwards I bought three more, one each for my wife and two kids.
So I have a total of four.
My wife passed away, and my daughter and her two kids live with me.

Tonight I called my doctor and offered him my mask.

nqsyCRAkw0T_ZuGyq4fpGp7QEUDLyVZLRHqHVlIJh7e_7kjvSIjZtGSvKcmwHfOuX_Qs49hINEDQvjRdZgmUwxtiagVKIR7LlvMcWbJmQ09-MMAzEussh32yDwhEbm7pzs82fHo0xSHzAEHd1aEVP6Fb4ALb3pqZn7sVt8Osodq0e1R-3mHXAjycTYfsCS8Hp4ftf06atPTCYwKHIJ_MmHy4fCx5yDullExGtZBmf6C7KBy0Fy45fENC3SJcJlq72dkjCaNK91XDk3Dh1YWEFeGPx0E9JCDSXC-H8j31eNX-_tEvefkcaE42mBwBZGoD6zHSjpr-mr_UJmoZ3c330m3axsX6s2GgTrfhn-k9FepWOBnDcjLdhcXO0n5g4Z1bN4Go7E2LN5jjnswv2zS437IlqjK9M_2R3RXEmrLH3Ax0yeMuTATTLzDJlj9F-03-jGjQdSJq4VlImVg0iCdkIyVHYfHpegqv853YeA1-dIn6E2pTzCMpgu3XrwvQ8CrTo0-fW7W-Dq8gzhochxIbbQGDPpVyPzV_9EQaXoyU7MKvJ7B9WOkdCnAGTvF__k4Aid6FnP-p7qGX76IYw6NfZpBMjOxCZO0_jnS_bUoMoeT7IGYcws3JnUbmMve7ZaqpaFi7sFB3ge9RP5YmH8tXxXBD6DRQ7ZKvLhvQyz8N_mGZc416RlzYr5mn5FXm=w568-h757-no

At first he refused, and we discussed that each filter has a limited amount of usefulness, time wise, and that the replacement filters aren't available. I suggested that a N95 filter rubber band connected to each on the sides would make it more effective, and they can be replaced, if available, or disinfected, and reused.

An hour later he accepted my offer.
He is more likely to come into contact with infected people than I. And currently his position in society is more important than mine.

In reality we should only need one for the care-taker of who-ever gets sick in our family. The sick one will be confined to his/her bedroom. Besides, I have faith that when I am exposed, that I will be among the 98% who survive.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
On hand can, box, bottle, and refrigerated food won't last forever. MREs and freeze dried will pick up the slack later. Goal is to be able to avoid 6 feet & < contact for the duration.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Thanks for your post.
During 9/11 I served at ground zero, and was given a mask.
Afterwards I bought three more, one each for my wife and two kids.
So I have a total of four.
My wife passed away, and my daughter and her two kids live with me.

Tonight I called my doctor and offered him my mask.

nqsyCRAkw0T_ZuGyq4fpGp7QEUDLyVZLRHqHVlIJh7e_7kjvSIjZtGSvKcmwHfOuX_Qs49hINEDQvjRdZgmUwxtiagVKIR7LlvMcWbJmQ09-MMAzEussh32yDwhEbm7pzs82fHo0xSHzAEHd1aEVP6Fb4ALb3pqZn7sVt8Osodq0e1R-3mHXAjycTYfsCS8Hp4ftf06atPTCYwKHIJ_MmHy4fCx5yDullExGtZBmf6C7KBy0Fy45fENC3SJcJlq72dkjCaNK91XDk3Dh1YWEFeGPx0E9JCDSXC-H8j31eNX-_tEvefkcaE42mBwBZGoD6zHSjpr-mr_UJmoZ3c330m3axsX6s2GgTrfhn-k9FepWOBnDcjLdhcXO0n5g4Z1bN4Go7E2LN5jjnswv2zS437IlqjK9M_2R3RXEmrLH3Ax0yeMuTATTLzDJlj9F-03-jGjQdSJq4VlImVg0iCdkIyVHYfHpegqv853YeA1-dIn6E2pTzCMpgu3XrwvQ8CrTo0-fW7W-Dq8gzhochxIbbQGDPpVyPzV_9EQaXoyU7MKvJ7B9WOkdCnAGTvF__k4Aid6FnP-p7qGX76IYw6NfZpBMjOxCZO0_jnS_bUoMoeT7IGYcws3JnUbmMve7ZaqpaFi7sFB3ge9RP5YmH8tXxXBD6DRQ7ZKvLhvQyz8N_mGZc416RlzYr5mn5FXm=w568-h757-no

At first he refused, and we discussed that each filter has a limited amount of usefulness, time wise, and that the replacement filters aren't available. I suggested that a N95 filter rubber band connected to each on the sides would make it more effective, and they can be replaced, if available, or disinfected, and reused.

An hour later he accepted my offer.
He is more likely to come into contact with infected people than I. And currently his position in society is more important than mine.

In reality we should only need one for the care-taker of who-ever gets sick in our family. The sick one will be confined to his/her bedroom. Besides, I have faith that when I am exposed, that I will be among the 98% who survive.

Sorry, I may have failed to mention that the masks I have is a single box of 50. Since only one person per household is allowed to go out to get supplies, I figured this box of 50 would last me 3mos. Maybe more since I rarely go out for a supply run to the grocery. We are under lockdown in my country at the moment so movement is severely restricted.

Im sorry to hear about your wife. I salute you for being one of 9/11's true heroes. My respect goes out to all front-liners be it because of COVID-19 or previous disasters and outbreaks.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Mrs Fixer ran out of coffee filters this morning. She forgot to stop by the store for more. She asked if I have any stashed."who me, stash stuff?", "uh no". See I figure if I let her know I have 1000 stashed away they'll end up like my BiC lighter stash……depleted when I need them. She knows darn well I have some stashed somewhere but also knows if the day ever arrives we are stuck with campfire coffee that I've got a supply set aside for grounds free percolated coffee.

It's a good time to learn the French Press - no filter, no mechanical parts, accepts water heated by any method.

Booze - Good for 2mos

You hard liquor guys have it easy, I'd hate to try to store two months of craft beer..

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a good time to learn the French Press - no filter, no mechanical parts, accepts water heated by any method.

Been drinking French press almost everyday for the past 24 years, makes very good coffee. The press also makes a good tea pot for loose leaves. They're practical. Much prefer the stainless steel ones over the glass.

Burgess

Flashaholic
BTW --

Canned Goods, stored at room temperature
are CERTAINLY usable well past their
stamped Use By dates ! ! !

< just sayin' >

idleprocess

Flashaholic
BTW --

Canned Goods, stored at room temperature
are CERTAINLY usable well past their
stamped Use By dates ! ! !

< just sayin' >

So much this. The ... deterioration ... of "Best if used by..." dates might lead cynics to conclude that the marketing hucksters had taken over from the steady improvement in food safety we've seen over the last century.

bignc

Enlightened
Bought a surefire Aviator a2 for parts for $60 here. LOL
Bought a couple more pounds of rifle powder.

Finally organized and spreadsheeted (spreadshat?) my ammo and reloading components....

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice catch on that A2. Made a DIY face mask to work with cannibalized vacuum cleaner bags. Started updating the Emergency folder on my computer. Purpose of the folder is to tell my wife how to continue with financial operations if something happens to me (bank accounts, bills, investments, etc.). I do all the money stuff, and while not overly complex, it would probably be a real pita for her to figure it out without a cheat sheet.

bignc

Enlightened
Bought 2 more pounds of Reloader 15. ( they don't carry jugs locally so whatever. Lol)

Had some pretty frank discussion with friends and extended family this week. Not "this is the end!" talks but " are you paying attention at all? "

Also a couple of- let's say good acquaintances - asked about guns. One I told to get a time machine and go back to any of the other times that I told him to buy. The other I made buy something and gave her the ammo for it.

I also closed the lobby of my office to walk in traffic. We can still do all our regular business over the phone and electronically and actually have stayed pretty busy.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I was happy to hear last week that crime in NJ has dropped, and so have shootings.

Kennesaw Georgia, back in the late 70's passed an ordinance that every household had to have a firearm.
The police training officer gave free hand-gun safety courses, and women by the hundreds signed up for them.

Burglaries dropped to ZERO. I remember reading a study years ago, that burglars in the US were more concerned of being shot by a home-owner than a police officer. They therefore tried to NOT enter the home if someone was at home. Now we have more people staying at home.

scout24

Flashaholic
Been a bit since I posted here. Mrs. Scout and I have peas and carrots coming up under two cold frames in her garden, I built a third cold frame for her for spinach and lettuce. She has some herbs coming up in her greenhouse, it's still early here but it's nice to get moving on it. Spent yesterday starting to build our chicken coop for the six Rhode Island Red chicks we picked up on March 12th. Should be close to done today. Pics to follow...

Chicken coop day 1
https://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad56/scout24cpf/20200404_152436.jpg

Cold frames
https://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad56/scout24cpf/20200405_134331.jpg

Pea plants
https://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad56/scout24cpf/20200405_133845.jpg

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We know where to get eggs now. Just travel 478 miles and make a left at the big oak near the fire hydrant……

I bought 1000 coffee filters today. Recycled paper kind. Those things are pretty handy for a lot of things.

jrgold

Enlightened
I quit drinking since the beginning of this and have gotten out for a walk or bike ride daily. Have been taking plenty of vitamin C, eating fresh fruits and veggies. The body needs to stay prepped too, even more so important with a situation like the current one