What watch you're wearing?

Bertucci now offers a few solar models.
My a2t super classic is doing great, and I can't see it needing replaced any time soon or I'd upgrade to the solar myself.
And now I'll be looking at their site after work. Thanks for that info. I've been spoiled by solar G Shocks.
BTW, I think I had an Einstein poster of your signature line in my dorm room a few centuries ago. I'm sure you were dying to know that. :grin2:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Built sometime between 1957 and 1960 this Gruen Precision Geneve with black linen dial was restored and has a new acrylic crystal.
IMG_4388.jpeg

IMG_4377.jpeg

Love that linen face dial.

Built sometime between 1957 and 1960 this Gruen Precision Geneve with black linen dial was restored and has a new acrylic crystal.
View attachment 59832

View attachment 59833
Love that linen face dial.
I was just going to say that you don't see linen much these days except on perhaps a very few microbrands though I think Grand Seiko offers it. Very nice catch! I appreciate having at least a 3-6-9 for quicker reference. For some reason I've always enjoyed the edge warping produced by a domed crystal, too. It adds character. And the acrylic should add some "warmth."

Edit: Grand Seiko offers the "snowflake" dial, not linen.

Last edited:

Bronco

Enlightened
I've long been a fan of Seiko's vintage 6105 model diver. It was immortalized as the watch Martin Sheen's character Capt. Willard wore in the movie Apocalypse Now. Prices of the originals vary greatly based on condition, with the better examples fetching upwards of $3000. Unfortunately, even the nicer ones are typically in pretty rough shape - and understandably so. Many were bought by GI's in overseas PXs for about $75 and then used and abused as the tools they were intended to be. Most were run until the movement seized up and then, if lucky, tossed in the back of a drawer.

Today, many Seiko fans affectionately refer to the model simply as "the Willard". It's a nickname that's never been formally embraced by Seiko, but don't think for a second that the manufacturer is unaware of the watch's popularity and now semi-legendary status. In the past few years, they've released no less than two distinct reissues of the Willard. The SLA033 came first and was a near identically dimensioned, but higher end, more highly finished and polished version. The SPB151 came a little later and was still very true to the modern design, albeit less refined with a few minor concessions made - such as a slightly wider strap - to better reflect the preferences of the modern day watch buyer.

These reissues, however, were no longer something you could pick up new in the box at your local PX for even an inflation adjusted price anywhere close to the original. The SLA retailed in the neighborhood of $5K and the SPB was in the $1400 dollar range.

Faced with that sort of sticker shock, I set out to see how close I could come to making my own Willard using eBay and various watch modding sites as a resource. I have to say I'm fairly excited about what emerged from the workbench this weekend.

My personal re-creation features a 44mm Ti case, very close to period correct dial and hands, a ceramic bezel and a sapphire crystal, all working with the ubiquitous Seiko NH35 movement. 44mm sounds like a large case size, but it's remarkable how comfortable these are to wear due to the unique case contours. All in, this build set me back about $250.

IMG_3326.jpeg

IMG_3335.jpeg

iacchus

Enlightened
I've long been a fan of Seiko's vintage 6105 model diver. It was immortalized as the watch Martin Sheen's character Capt. Willard wore in the movie Apocalypse Now. Prices of the originals vary greatly based on condition, with the better examples fetching upwards of $3000. Unfortunately, even the nicer ones are typically in pretty rough shape - and understandably so. Many were bought by GI's in overseas PXs for about $75 and then used and abused as the tools they were intended to be. Most were run until the movement seized up and then, if lucky, tossed in the back of a drawer.

Today, many Seiko fans affectionately refer to the model simply as "the Willard". It's a nickname that's never been formally embraced by Seiko, but don't think for a second that the manufacturer is unaware of the watch's popularity and now semi-legendary status. In the past few years, they've released no less than two distinct reissues of the Willard. The SLA033 came first and was a near identically dimensioned, but higher end, more highly finished and polished version. The SPB151 came a little later and was still very true to the modern design, albeit less refined with a few minor concessions made - such as a slightly wider strap - to better reflect the preferences of the modern day watch buyer.

These reissues, however, were no longer something you could pick up new in the box at your local PX for even an inflation adjusted price anywhere close to the original. The SLA retailed in the neighborhood of $5K and the SPB was in the $1400 dollar range.

Faced with that sort of sticker shock, I set out to see how close I could come to making my own Willard using eBay and various watch modding sites as a resource. I have to say I'm fairly excited about what emerged from the workbench this weekend.

My personal re-creation features a 44mm Ti case, very close to period correct dial and hands, a ceramic bezel and a sapphire crystal, all working with the ubiquitous Seiko NH35 movement. 44mm sounds like a large case size, but it's remarkable how comfortable these are to wear due to the unique case contours. All in, this build set me back about $250.

View attachment 59981

View attachment 59982
Great work on that one!

View attachment 59981

View attachment 59982
Yup, I recognized it! Nice job! I thought it was a "Turtle" at first. Seiko and their nicknames. I've got a "Samurai" with the same movement as your "Willard," and a "Tuna Can." Very nice work.

Last edited:

iacchus

Enlightened
I suspect it's the strap, but I think that Waterbury wants a Panama hat for accompaniment.
Aye, it came w/ a padded black leather strap, branded at the buckle.
I put my Easter strap on it for the holidays.

It is one of those watches that really works well w/ any strap you throw on it, which is nice. I have a flannel one coming in the post that I am looking forward to trying.