What's the best EDC flashlight in 2012 and why?

jssp78

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered 2 Photon lights. 1 has a covert nose with a white beam and squeeze on release off. The other light has a covert nose with a orange beam Photons are some of the best pocket lights to have.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I still carry my silver Surefire Backup to work everyday... doesn't show scratches, is very simple to operate and easily replaceable if I ever lose it.

Lighteous

Enlightened
I find myself carrying my JetBeam RRT-01 the most. I absolutely love that light! Before the RRT-01 usually carried a ZL SC51. I have an HDS Rotary, which is awesome in most every conceivable way, except for its size. My RRT-01 suits my pocket better.

I have a Niteye Eye10 on the way and I almost ordered a Sunwayman V11R. I really like the magnetic control ring, the small size, the explosion of light on high and the incredibly low on low.

Mark-60

Newly Enlightened
After years of carrying my 6P, I have been going with my LX2 for about 6 months now. I like it alot. But that's just me and I don't pretend to know what's best for someone else. I just ordered an M6LT and will probably carry that everyday while I walk the dog. (I walk him at about 02:00 because that's when I get home from work)

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Zebralight H31 doesn't get anywhere near the attention it should as an EDC. Maybe because it's labeled "Headlamp"? Follow me on this logic....It's small, not much bigger than the mini 123. Has a 220 lumen turbo mode. Can be turned on "Low" to start, then ramp up. Or start on "High", and ramp down. 2 Levels can be programmed in each of three power levels (especially nice low setting option of 5 or .5 lumens). And the switch is on the top, not side. When clipped inside your pocket little chance it gets turned on, unlike the "SC" models with the side switch. But the biggest reason.....IT STANDS UPRIGHT!!, and can be rotated to point the direction you're working. Additionally you can clip it onto your shirt or belt and the light shines straight ahead, not straight down or up. I'll never go back to a light that you lay on it's side to work on stuff, and hope it doesn't roll off as you're working. I also find the grip position to be much more natural than a rear clicky light.

Last edited:

tonkem

Enlightened
First :

Zebralight SC80. Small, very long runtime, can use both AA or 1 CR123 without an adapter(adapter is internal), and is a very useful beam.

Second:

Surefire E1L. Small, long runtime on 1 x CR123, good throw for such a small light, and can carry a F04 diffuser for the close up work.

One or both are with me at all times :)

I carry a Quark High CRI 123 mini on my beltloop, I also carry a standard quark AA clipped to the bill of my hat. Here is what is really gonna get yall. I use my Quark RGB more than any other light so it is ALWAYS in my pocket.

kolbasz

Newly Enlightened
I use my Spark ST6-460NW for everything. It's a very versatile light.
It is the best headlamp on the market, and a very good flashlight without the headband.
It is very small, you can bring it in your pocket easily, throws about 100m, besides has a very good flood, in addition has a floody lens too.

Current controlled, i like the modes, theye are portioned well (especially the 0,5lm- 12days and the 12lm-100hr modes)

The accessories are awesome:
-tripod adapter
-magnetic pad
-pocket clip

You can do whatever you want with it!

...so that's why i like it the best.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
where do you see that? This is only 100 lumens.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=1597

This is the AA^2 XML version run on a optional 1xAA body using a 14500 (a 3.7V Li-ion rechargeable that would also double the R5 light you linked to), a config a lot of us CPF folks are using. See Selfbuilt's review of the light...

Note: There is now a step-down feature just after 3 mins runtime on max, designed to help limit thermal issues on extended runs. For the Q123-2 X, output drops from ~520 estimated lumens to ~400 estimated lumens, while the QAA-2 X drops from ~400 estimated lumens to ~300 estimated lumens. I put the higher lumen values in the table, as that is what I measured at exactly 3 mins into the run (i.e. just before the drop).

from here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?321913

Last edited:

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
My vote goes for the Eagletac D25A Ti Clicky (I have the neutral). The reverse clicky doesn't bother me anymore and I absolutely love the size and output of this thing. Great light for EDC.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
What did you use every day in your pocket, and why? Perhaps the best 2 or 3?

Zebralight H51w as main EDC light and Quark high CRI mini AA as backup.
IMG_9313A.jpg

The H51w fits inside a shirt pocket like a flashlight. Is it a flashlight or headlamp?
IMG_6287.jpg

For me, it's both and more.
IMG_6691.jpg

IMG_9346.jpg

IMG_9352.jpg

IMG_9343.jpg

IMG_9342.jpg

IMG_9362.jpg

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
For me I still have not found anything better than the Olight i2 EOS. and before that it was the ITP A2. Just a simple small AA twisty. Wish I had moved sooner on a 4/7 mini AA neutral, but I just keep putting the i2 in my pocket, despite having "better" lights. I lost the ITP A2 and at around $25 did not feel to bad having to get the Olight i2. When I do take out a Quark or Zebra I am always worried about it, the little Olight I don't think about untill I need it. And as someone stated above, its nice to have a (AA) light you can always seem to find a AA somewhere if needed, to replace a dead eneloop.

De-Lux

Enlightened
+1 on peak Logan nichia 219. I use the Logan with the pocket body. Its so small that I forget its in my pocket. The qtc gives you sub lumen to 200+ lumens. I have sent mine through the wash more than once and still going strong.
I have had several HDS lights in the past and they are a bit large in size for edc IMO. I have also had a bit of bad luck in terms of reliability with my hds lights. 2 of them had issues with thier programming and another had a parasitic drain issue. In the end Henry really took care of me and hds lights remain high on my list of great lights.

My two current faves for true, unobtrusive EDC are the HDS high CRI Twisty with clip and the Nichia 219 version of the Peak Logan QTC also with a clip. Both are relatively small, bright, well constructed and extremely reliable.

The Logan has the advantage of being slightly smaller, having the best tint and rendition of any LED light I've owned and features a nearly infinitely adjustable output range without the need for any electronics. The HDS, on the other hand, boasts a buttery smooth operation and an actual, meaningful water resistance rating.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: