What's the best EDC flashlight in 2012 and why?

Wacki

Newly Enlightened
This is the AA^2 XML version run on a optional 1xAA body using a 14500 (a 3.7V Li-ion rechargeable that would also double the R5 light you linked to), a config a lot of us CPF folks are using. See Selfbuilt's review of the light...

from here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?321913

Is this what your are talking about? I'm looking for another light.

http://www.foursevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=2933

+

http://www.foursevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=3069

Thanks!

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened
i got the D25C Ti and thought that would be the ultimate edc, after carrying it for a while i reverted back to the p100c2.. i feel like a cr123x2 light is more to my liking.

davyro

Enlightened
It's the same as last year for me,i have a few HDS lights but the Rotary is like a fine wine for me,it's getting better as it ages.I might have a new EDC champion next year but that depends on how long i have to wait until Henry produces an HDS with the new XP-G2,boring & predictable but it's going to take something special to alter my humble opinion.

wfturnerm4

Newly Enlightened
I carry my Sunwayman V10R, 200 lumens and the nice smooth rotary.
The cargo pants my girl friend bought me have so many pockets, I could carry my Catapult V3 with ease.
Tho, I would probably walk with a limp.

Bronco

Enlightened
+1 on peak Logan nichia 219. I use the Logan with the pocket body. Its so small that I forget its in my pocket. The qtc gives you sub lumen to 200+ lumens. I have sent mine through the wash more than once and still going strong.
I have had several HDS lights in the past and they are a bit large in size for edc IMO. I have also had a bit of bad luck in terms of reliability with my hds lights. 2 of them had issues with thier programming and another had a parasitic drain issue. In the end Henry really took care of me and hds lights remain high on my list of great lights.

FWIW, I too got caught in that batch of bad capacitors that, IIRC, was responsible for the parasitic drain issue with the HDS. As with yourself, though, Henry made it right in short order and it's been perfect ever since.

I also forgot to mention that another plus for the Peak and HDS lights is that they're both manufactured in the USA.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I have the tactical version (2 programmed modes) but I prefer the regular/"pro" version better that gives you quicker access to all modes and has a reverse tail standing clicky

http://www.foursevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=2908

Don't forget the Li-ion and charger for 400 lms (please read through the safety issues with using Li-ions in the battery forum).

http://www.foursevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=206

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...l-Worlds-smallest-Li-ion-charger-with-display

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best setup: Sunwayman v11r. Carry your spare battery in a Spark Sk3.

For pure EDC, I'd say the Sunwayman V11R. The ring plus pushbutton is about the best EDC UI going (for me personally, at least), great size, incredible power on 16340. Right now, for me, the only products that are even close to competing are offered by Jetbeam and Niteye, also having ring controls.

I like to carry a backup battery in my jacket pocket or whatever, and with the advent of mini-sized 123 lights, I've decided it no longer makes sense to carry a spare battery in a plastic case, since a mini-sized 123 light is as small as most battery carriers and not much heavier -- and now you have a spare light, as well. I chose the Spark SK3 for this, it gave me none of the problems my Quark Mini did, and it specifically supports 16340 so I can carry either 123 or 16340 in it, either of which will run the v11r

Perfection. My same setup and logic. After using the control ring on my v10r ti it's hard to like any other ui. No special modes. Just simple output selection that can be picked with the light off. Fwd clicky for the perfect marriage. Huge output range. Of course efficiency is not the absolute best but for an edc role I charge everyday.
Also sk3 edc backup. Weighs nothing, holds a spare battery and is a backup light. Best way to carry a spare.

bushmattster

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently EDCing the D25A clicky Ti, it's my favorite so far. Small, decent runs times, adequetly bright for my purpose of getting out of a dark place(eneloops or primaries), decent clip and good looking IMO. The mini 123 is my favorite small 123 light. Nice brightnes on primaries.

Wacki

Newly Enlightened
current status of votes (w/ some grouping for simplicity):

ARc AAA = THE_dAY

EagleTac D25A/c Mini = Erik1213, reppans , Sgt. LED , Pete2s , Espionage Studio , bushmattster
Eagletac G25C2 = sidecross
Eagletac p100c2 = EPVQ30

Fenix E01 = Badbeams3
Fenix E15 = THE_dAY

foursevens Preon Revo AAA = reppans, THE_dAY
foursevens Quark 1xAA X = reppans, roadkill1109, dieselducy , davidt1
foursevens Quark mini 123 = sqchram, dieselducy , bushmattster

haiku = Shooter21

HDS hi cri rotary = sqchram, anethema, Bronco, the.Mtn.Man , sqchram.. sighed,Shooter21 , davyro

Jetbeam RRT-01 = cyclesport , Lighteous

Liteflux lf2xt ti xpg, trit button = sqchram,

Niteye Eye10 = Lighteous ,

nitecore sens series = Bwolcott

Olight i2 EOS = whiteoakjoe

Peak Logan QTC = Bronco, De-Lux

Photon Freedom Microlight = twl, jssp78

Spark SK3 = Joe Talmadge , f22shift
Spark ST6-460NW = kolbasz

Surefire 6P = BIGLOU
surefire lx2 = Mark-60
Surefire E1L = tonkem

Sunwayman V10R ti = sqchram, wfturnerm4 , f22shift
Sunwayman V11R = Joe Talmadge , cyclesport , Lighteous, f22shift

Thrunite Ti = vesper

Zebralight 502d headlamp = wuyeah
Zebralight H31 =kengps
zebralight SC80 = tonkem
Zebralight H51 = davidt1

Balder HD-1 = recycledelectrons

Last edited:

tonkem

Enlightened
Correction, mine was e1l and SC80, not SC30 :)

Thanks.

Tony

current status of votes (w/ some grouping for simplicity):

ARc AAA = THE_dAY
EagleTac D25A/c Mini = Erik1213, reppans , Sgt. LED , Pete2s , Espionage Studio , bushmattster
Eagletac G25C2 = sidecross
Eagletac p100c2 = EPVQ30
Fenix E01 = Badbeams3
Fenix E15 = THE_dAY
haiku = Shooter21
HDS hi cri rotary = sqchram, anethema, Bronco, the.Mtn.Man , sqchram.. sighed,Shooter21 , davyro
Jetbeam RRT-01 = cyclesport , Lighteous
Liteflux lf2xt ti xpg, trit button = sqchram,
Niteye Eye10 = Lighteous ,
nitecore sens series = Bwolcott
Olight i2 EOS = whiteoakjoe
Peak Logan QTC = Bronco, De-Lux
Photon Freedom Microlight = twl, jssp78
Preon Revo AAA = reppans, THE_dAY
Quark 1xAA X = reppans, roadkill1109, dieselducy , davidt1
Quark mini 123 = sqchram, dieselducy , bushmattster
Spark SK3 = Joe Talmadge , f22shift
Spark ST6-460NW = kolbasz
Surefire 6P = BIGLOU
surefire lx2 = Mark-60
Surefire E1L = tonkem
Sunwayman V10R ti = sqchram, wfturnerm4 , f22shift
Sunwayman V11R = Joe Talmadge , cyclesport , Lighteous, f22shift
Thrunite Ti = vesper
Zebralight 502d headlamp = wuyeah
Zebralight H31 =kengps
zebralight SC30 = tonkem
Zebralight H51 = davidt1
Balder HD-1 = recycledelectrons

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Wacki, you can delete my name from the Arc AAA and Preon ReVO, I just used them to show the size of the Fenix E15 (my only edc for 2012) thx :)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL

Its like "What's the best car"

:D

For me, the Klarus XT11 wins....all those wimpy 300 or less lumen lights would not work for me....I need more than that to do what I have to do. I also have keychain lights, etc, that do what those other "EDC's" do, but, I almost never use them, I reach for the XT11 instead, as it just WORKS better.

:D

If I barely needed a light, sure, then a lesser light would be fine.

The Zebralight SC600 is also pretty handy sometimes.

Last edited:

DaDoWL

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I'm not sure how many people will argue that HDS is far and away the best EDC in terms of interface and quality in 2012 or before. Prob one of the best built lights that exist, very quick momentary or latching access to quite a few modes from off or on, all potted electronics, and built like a tank. They pop up on the marketplace once in a while, but new ones are months out for anyone ordering, so that is the bad part about em I guess.

I'm new to light so excuse me for this question please... What is an HDS?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've either got a SureFire Backup or a Quark 1xAA Tactical w/14500 as my main EDC, depending on whether I'm in a suit (E1B) or Dockers or jeans (Quark). There's also always an EagleTac D25A Mini in my suit jacket, or a 2 x CR123 light in the pocket of a heavier jacket or coat when the weather dictates.

kamote-fries

Newly Enlightened
I edc my e2dl with an f04 diffuser. The diffuser creates a floody beam with no hotspot and it helps protect my pockets from being torn by the strike bezel. If i need throw or need to hit someone, I just remove the diffuser. I like having the option to have a thrower and a flood light. I also have an e15 on my keychain as backup.