Whats the best EDC light from these?

apurva

Newly Enlightened
I don't have experience with any of these either but my next $50 will be going to the 4Sevens minix.

I really like the mini but non rechargeable 123a's make it a deal breaker for me as they are not quite easily available for me. Did read up a lot of threads about people trying out various rechargeable batteries with it with varying success, dont wanna do that with my first purchase :(

belfastbiker

Newly Enlightened
I really like the mini but non rechargeable 123a's make it a deal breaker for me as they are not quite easily available for me. Did read up a lot of threads about people trying out various rechargeable batteries with it with varying success, dont wanna do that with my first purchase :(

Hmm... are we talking about this light? http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/4sevens-q-mini-128.html Surely it takes rechargeables?

EDIT: Bugger, you're right it appears. http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=2564

LEDFire a bit misleading there.... OK, change of plan. Cheers for the heads up. :)

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
(....)
I am currently tilting towards the Sunwayman V10R Ti - http://www.sunwayman.com/html/products/201012/46.html Reason being, it runs RCR123as and has an extender to accomodate AA batteries as well! The battery strategy works excellent for me, as I can have best of both worlds. I also like what I hear about the rotating + reverse clicky UI. The only problem is its quite expensive compared to the fenix / olight and others, so dunno if its worth $170++ (with the extender)
(....)

The high cost is largely for the titanium. If you don't mind (or prefer) aluminum, take a look at the JetBEAM rrt-0. It's quite similar, and much less expensive. I think that both brands are made by the same company (or a closely related subsidiary).

apurva

Newly Enlightened
The high cost is largely for the titanium. If you don't mind (or prefer) aluminum, take a look at the JetBEAM rrt-0. It's quite similar, and much less expensive. I think that both brands are made by the same company (or a closely related subsidiary).

The Jetbeam site lists the RRT-0 under old lights http://www.jet-beam.com/links/pro/rrt0.aspx so i assumed that the model must be discontinued. I like Aluminium too but the RRT-0 seems relatively big to pocket

archimedes

Flashaholic
The rrt-0 has had a few emitter upgrades already. I think that the R2 version is now discontinued (and had several fixed output levels).

I have a newer variable output R5, but they have recently released the S2 version with a slightly more efficient (brighter) LED.

apurva

Newly Enlightened
The rrt-0 has had a few emitter upgrades already. I think that the R2 version is now discontinued (and had several fixed output levels).

I have a newer variable output R5, but they have recently released the S2 version with a slightly more efficient (brighter) LED.

Any link to where I can buy it?

apurva

Newly Enlightened
ANyone have any experience with Nitecore Ex11.2 / D11.2 ? The specs seem awesome and so do the sizes. I cant find a site to buy them though.

tricker

Enlightened
I have a few fenix, and I much perfer the preon due to size difference......and it has a better warranty compared to others also....i don't really like cr2 or 123a size for keychain(if you pocket carry i don't imagine you will either)

Lightman2

Enlightened
I have spent hours on this forum and driving my wife mad however can say from the videos I have seen along with beam shots the LD01 seems to be the pick for me with AAA along with the Preon 1 Titanium or Preon ReVO is stainless steel being the next choice. I do like the idea of titanium or stainles steel for such a small light if nothing else but to keep it from bending under some extreme scenario. I have aRex and love it for a small easy to handle light that you can hold in your teeth and have so many positives like ramping through any number of brightness levels and being able to charge it with a solar panel from Photon or USB attachment for PC charging or a car charger. Sunwayman I have simply stayed clear of as I am a little dissapointed they have no decent web site with contactable information should one have any questions. In my mind customer service is pretty imprtant in particular if you have an issue and that is probably why so many people like 47's as they offer a decent warranty and have (from what I have read here) a good customer service system. The other great thing about the mini's from 47's is they offer strobe and beacon optins which the LD01 does not and I think they are pretty imprtant modes in particular for tramping etc where you may need a light as a marker for a tent, cabin etc. On a size to power ration look at the SC51 from Zebra which offers a lot of features on 1 x AA and puts out 200 lumens (so they say) on standard AA batteries versus those who to get this output use the Li Ion cells which void the warratny from the OEM's. I realise the Zebra is not a keyring light but worth a look.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Hello apurva. And allow me my :welcome: As you know, when you ask questions like your asking here, you're just getting individuals opinions. What is the "best" for EDC for one, isn't the "best" for EDC for another. However, these people are crazy. You should be afraid. Be very, very, afraid. These people will perverse you, persuade you, and otherwise antagonize you until you are just like them! A bonafide, certified, "FLASHAHOLIC"!!!!!!! LOL. :devil: Seriously, there's a wealth of experience here and lots of folks have carried probably dozens of different lights for EDC purposes so you'll get some premium advice. Me personally, my two favorite AAA's are a Fenix LD01 in stainless steel, and the Titanium Innovations Illumina Ti CA1. The Illumina Ti's come and go at the dealer. You might check one day and they're not advertised, and the next day they'll have some again. Like others have said, check the marketplace frequently. It's a really well built little light that has the L/M/H interface I prefer over the Fenix's M/L/H, but the little Fenix is built like a tank in SS, and appears it will last forever. I have a few 1x123 lights that are nice for EDC. I'm currently waiting for my Sunwayman V10R Ti to arrive in a couple days and I'm thinking it will be super nice! I think you should SERIOUSLY consider one of Henrys HDS lights. Creme of the crop as they say. Also, on any light your considering, go to the "reviews" section and there will most likely be a comprehensive review by selfbuilt or others on the light your looking at. EVERY light I currently own, I own because of a review done by selfbuilt, with a couple of exceptions. So, have fun shopping, and enjoy this very rewarding hobby! (Just ignore all the sicko's on here trying to make you one of them!) LOL :wave:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the preon Revo really that good? Compared to the Fenix's, Klaus, etc?
After spending the last few weeks looking for a new keyring light, the Preon Revo (with an aluminum body) is the one I decided to spend my hard earned money on.

Why?

After reading, comparing, and reading some more.... I decided that the Revo had the features and quality I wanted at a price I can afford.

I like my lights to have multiple levels, so that was high on my priority list. The Revo has 3 well spaced levels.

I also wanted the levels to come on in this order...... low, medium, and then high. The Revo does this. Some lights (like the Fenix LD01) come on in medium, then low, then high..... and some folks prefer that. Since I will use this light for trips to the bathroom at night, I wanted the low first :).

I wanted a light that runs in full regulation on all levels, with all types of cells. Check out Selfbuilt's runtime charts for the Revo (which compares many different AAA lights). The Revo has AMAZING regulation...... it's virtually flat..... which means it will run at the same brightness throughout the life of the battery (even a regular alkaline cell). Nice.

Quality? How about brass threads in the head..... nice touch. 10 year warranty.... another nice touch. A heavy duty lug for attaching to a keyring.... excellent.

And price? $40 shipped give or take (depending on where you buy it). Right in my budget.

But those are the things that are important to ME. Your needs might be totally different. Maybe you'd rather not spend so much for your keychain light, choosing to spend the extra money on your "big" light. Sometimes simpler IS better, and you might just want a good single level keyring light. There are some nice coin cell photon style lights that you can pick up for a few dollars that do a great job and weigh next to nothing.

So, what you need to do is start making a list and prioritize the qualities you most want in your lights. You can always shuffle those around, but I've found it's always good to see it on paper, that way, when you're looking at all of these lights you can start to see why one light might work better for you than another light.

Start looking at all those runtime graphs in the reviews. It takes a little time to understand them, but the information is quite valuable in helping you make an informed decision. See how the various lights perform using the type of cell that you plan on using.

They're all good lights, just different flavors for different tastes :D.

By the way.... if you don't think you'd mind the extra weight, I think the Preon Revo in SS would be an excellent keychain light. It has the state-of-the-art XP-G S2 emitter, and many folks really do like the extra heft of the SS body.

Are you having fun yet? :)

belfastbiker

Newly Enlightened

you saved me a wasted purchase, gonna ditch that one, get the ITP A1 EOS instead. Cheaper too.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

apurva

Newly Enlightened
Just like Derek, I read through tons of posts and have finally, placed an order for my first cool light, the Preon Revo SS with an S2 emitter! I know this was not even in my list when I started, as in the beginning I was not quite interested in AAA lights, as the 123as have much more power for a small package. However I decided to start off with an AAA light as 123a non rechargeables are not very easily available everywhere and some lights recommend against the RCR123as. It was a tough call between 3 lights, the Preon Revo, Klarus M6 and the Sunwayman V10R-Ti. I like the way the M6 looks and is probably the smallest AAA light i found, but the Preon won due to the fact that its got way better stuff in the inside, including a better emitter and is nearly as small as the M6. I love the Sunwayman V10R due to the cool battery strategy that i mentioned earlier, which gives you best of both the worlds, but the price is a little prohibitive for my first light, so I decided to hold on to buying it. It will probably be the next light i buy though, I love all its features.

I would have kept on reading and enjoying doing so, but from the 4Sevens site, I figured that the S2 emitters are in shortage, so I decided to go ahead and order the Revo. I have ordered the light from the 4sevens store ( http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_332_412&products_id=2578 ) and they are probably the most prompt, responsive and supportive online shop I have dealt with. Replies to my questions came in 5 mins flat! and the item was shipped in less than a couple of hours after I placed the order. Lastly, thanks to all of you at the CPF to be so kind with sharing detailed information. This is a lot of fun and I think I am just getting started. However I will hold back from ordering more lights until I get the Revo delivered. Will post shots and a review if anyone is interested. Now waiting for the Revo to arrive.... :)

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
These lights look amazing and really compact! Have added the X6 to my wishlist, will research how it fares comparatively to other AAAs. AAAAs are hard to find where I stay so I guess I'll stick to AAAs or RCR123as

I like crazy people :) Reading all this detail is absolute fun! never thought one could get so informed about flashlights! I think I am going a bit crazy too cuz i just justified to myself that I absolutely need atleast three flashlights.... no wait .... 4! :p

Four lights? :laughing: Dude, most people here, myself included, carry more lights than that just to leave the house everyday!!!

It is a fun hobby to have.:D Hope you will enjoy it!

Best wishes,

RL

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to go ahead and order the Revo.
Ah, you made a decision. I'll be interested in hearing how you like it, especially concerning the weight. I wanted the aluminum body but have been considering the SS version now as well.

I've got a funny feeling you're going to really dig it. The biggest surprise is always how small it is.

Of course, the waiting is the hardest part :).

In case you haven't already done so, this would be a good time to head over to the "Flashlight Electronics.... Batteries Included" area and scope out some options for rechargeable batteries (and chargers)....... although a lot of folks like to put lithium batteries in their keyring lights because they give the longest runtime. I tend to favor rechargeable batteries because I like to walk out of the house knowing my batteries are full, and it's much cheaper to be able to use and play with my lights :naughty:.

The real trick is finding a charger that will allow you to charge one battery at a time. So, more reading.

Let us know how the new light works out..... we love beamshots.

Edit: Oh, I found this site VERY helpful when I first started getting into rechargeable batteries: http://batteryuniversity.com/

Last edited:

apurva

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up on the batteries. My wait to get my light is gonna be a lil long as it ships from my US drop address to India. During the wait, I have been drooling over other goodies! And am now looking at getting a glo toob. Hmm time to start another thread :)

Latest posts