Whats the worse thing you've done to your flashlight(as in neglect/abuse)

RCM

Enlightened
A year ago I had a 2 D mag that had Fuji cells inside leak and weld the tail cap shut. Held it in a vice and used an adjustable wrench to open it, got it open one cell was swollen and I couldn't get it out. Drilled a hole in it, and ran a long screw into it, then with a hammer and some leverage, was able to get it out...cleaned it out, put new cells in, and a few days later, lent it to someone who said they would return it...never saw if again.....

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened
Quite badly damaged the reflector of my vintage Surefire L6 Lumamax by touching it with q-tips and cotton wool :(

Let it be a lesson to everyone! reflectors are out of bounds to all objects!

Crazy Swede

Newly Enlightened
I couldn´t find my 4Sevens quark mini, after a few weeks when I was cutting my lawn I ran it over with my lawnmover. Lucky for me the knifes didn´t hit it. It worked fine :)

Itinifni

Newly Enlightened
I had some alkalines go south in a 3 AA Mag LED, by the time I got the batteries out the barrell was toast, I should have just sent the whole thing to Duracell. Also dropped a 2 AA Mag with a Terralux LED in the bilge of my boat this spring. It's been there all summer, I'll see what it looks like this fall when I bring the boat home and winterize it.

mt62092

Newly Enlightened
In the spring about 20 years ago my friend and i use to slide/throw my 4d maglight in the slushy ice of a lake after dark. It would light up the ice then fling around and send a spray of illuminated slush then maybe slide straight like a torpedo. Hours of fun.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Must admit, that certainly DOES sound like FUN !

Hope you try this again, and post it on YouTube. :)

BTW . . . .

Looks like a B-17 in yer' Avatar.

Cool photo -- did you take it yourself ?

mt62092

Newly Enlightened
Yes it is a b 17 the yankee lady Out of belleville michigan From the yankee air force museum Unfortunately I did not take the picture. The flashlight on the lake has to be perfect timing because of the weather conditions fog would also be cool.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beat a Gerber LX3.0 hundreds of times by dropping it on concrete and smashing it against steel (by accident) on a job. It often took 8-10 foot falls onto concrete. It still works perfectly.

Tested the durability of an Inova X5 by having someone run it over with an electric wheelchair. Tried using rechargeable 123As in it and fried the l.e.d.s (they still worked but were much dimmer). Tried replacing the l.e.d.s. with the freeze pop method but was unsuccessful at getting the head off. After I dried it out, I put in a couple cells to see if it would still work. It did.

Hammered some nails in with a 3D maglite. Scratched it up but works fine.

Used the anodizing on an Inova XO2 as a knife sharpener. The knife got sharpened and the light still looks fine.

sp71

Newly Enlightened
Used my 6-D Mag Light as a wheel chock a few times for buddies too lazy to fix a parking brake lol. (this was also almost 20 years ago when Mag Light barrels were made thicker, light was fine aside from a couple small nicks from the concrete)

Been used as a hammer frequently too.

I'd been looking for a 2xAA Minimag for some time now, and finally located it. I was so happy at my discovery, until I realized the tailcap wouldn't budge. Death by alkaline. Time to call Duracell. :(
Duracell seems to be the biggest offender, I've lost (or nearly lost) many items to them leaking. I quit buying them because of that, among other reasons.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
... so I call my mate up and he has a look under my bonnet and asks me if I've lost a flashlight ...
I think that my mate would say, 'WTH is a flashlight doing under your hat?' ;)
Seriously, the worst thing: Loaned my new SF L1 to a contractor (work on the house) and the next thing I know, I have to call them to get them to mail it to me from 90 miles away. :rolleyes: