Whats the worst thing to find on your lathe?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you every fix your surface finish problems you mentioned in this thread:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138345

That crack could certainly contribute to problems with surface finish.

Bummer about the crack. Hope Grizzly does you right.

Yes it could on really large cuts but probably only to the same degree that a fly heats up the room it flies around in. :D The real danger is the crack could continue till it goes all the way through. Then you got a problem.

Those PM guys are nasty at times. I think many of them have not had their morning coffee when they start posting. Still, most over there are wonderful people just like here on CPF. CNCzone is better moderated.

Cheers
Dave

kawgomoo

Newly Enlightened
you can weld it, they have special rod for tig welding cast iron. there is actually a whole video in the hobart school of welding technology library dedicated to this subject.

the problem is not pre heating, the rate in which it cools is the issue. typically it needs to be preheated, welded then buried in ash or sand and brought back down in temp ever so slowly.

they have these giant staples that make the cast piece look like frankenstein, or you can plate it. or you can weld it. i think its high nickel rod 99 0r 33, i hear stainless works as well...

i vaguely remember something about stipling the area around it before you weld it. once again its been several years since i watched the video. but if you cant get it fixed i can track it down for you if interested.

on big projects i believe he used gas torches to keep it warm moving them away or decreasing flame to slowly cool the work area.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it could on really large cuts but probably only to the same degree that a fly heats up the room it flies around in. :D The real danger is the crack could continue till it goes all the way through. Then you got a problem.

Those PM guys are nasty at times. I think many of them have not had their morning coffee when they start posting. Still, most over there are wonderful people just like here on CPF. CNCzone is better moderated.

Cheers
Dave

I see you read that thread :)

Funny thing is the guy that was ring my a** wanted me to build him a light :)

The surace finish is still not as good as my belt driven lathe but I chocked that up to the geared head. It surely is no Hardinge!

Mac

kawgomoo

Newly Enlightened
let me know how it turns out, i have that exact same lathe... i think. grizzly gap bed gunsmith lathe :)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Sorry about the lathe Mac, I'd be pretty darn upset if I found a crack in my lathe too...

If you don't mind me asking, what's the big chunk of aluminum for, and how big is it?

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
great now you have me all paranoid.. lol

how long have you had it?

I ordered it in December of last year but the lathe did not ship until march. Right after I moved the new lathe into to my workshop at my apartment I purchased my first house and didn't start using the lathe until a couple months ago.

Mac

kawgomoo

Newly Enlightened
how did you move it around? any crazy lifting in the middle, or did you grab it at the ends?

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
how did you move it around? any crazy lifting in the middle, or did you grab it at the ends?

The lathe was only moved while it was bolted to the original shipping pallet. All moving and pushing force was to the pallet only.

I did pick the lathe up about an inch off the floor using 2, 2-ton come along's. Both come along's where routed under the bed on each end of the lathe.

Even if the lathe was picked up from the middle there is no way the bed should crack.

Mac

Torque1st

Enlightened
What is the lathe bolted down to?

I moved my 2500# lathe via a chain thru the diagonal bed webbing near the headstock. Of course the webbing is 2" thick and about a foot deep.

If you weld or braze the crack the bed will still be distorted and need to be re-machined.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you hear anything from Grizzly?

They said they would replace it. I asked for a partial refund if I fixed the lathe instead of going through the hassle. I said $1500 would work....they offered a $300 gift certificate,I took the replacement. Guess what...... they do not have any in stock, possibly March.

They wanted me to build a crate to ship the cracked one back first. I had to purchase a new one, when they receive the cracked unit they will refund me for the new lathe.

Mac

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's bogus!

If that's the case, why not ship you a new one first, then you can use the same crate to send back the cracked lathe. Otherwise you'd be out of a lathe for who knows how long?

And why not extend you 90 days credit on the new one, to be offset when they receive yours back? That way you're not having to finance their mistake, and risk not getting a full refund.

And what about shipping charges? The least they could do for your troubles is to cover shipping both ways.

I see it as only fair that you get the lathe replaced with minimal downtime, and no additional expense. Crating it is hassle enough, and if they were honorable they'd give you the $300 gift certificate for that alone.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are paying for shipping both ways thank god!

I'm still waiting for a call back :(

Mac

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Man, what a disappointment and hassle to deal with. I feel for ya, Mac, and know how that would frustrate me.
Christo_pull_hair.gif
Christo_pull_hair.gif
Christo_pull_hair.gif

havand

Enlightened
The payment part is not ideal. What happens if your lathe breaks and you don't have the extra cash to put up? Not cool. However, I am glad they're going to come through for you... especially the shipping! :)

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that Mac could ship back the original first. He would have to make up a crate for it, and he would not have a lathe during the replacement process. That way he would not have to lay out any money.

just a note, for expensive items I purchase, I keep all the packing material for a while. That is in case I have to return the item.

frisco

Enlightened
Actually if you think about it....... Not bad...... You coulda done allot worse!

I know it's a big pain in the butt and you probably have better things to do....But worse stories have been told!

What if you didn't get your DRO? And you found the crack a year from now!

Just trying to look at the bright side!

friaco

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take their offer to replace and when you have your new lathe, file a report with your local BBB for them to reimburse all your crating expenses.

I don't live in the USA neither I am an US citizen, but I have filled complaints with the BBB twice and they resolved in my favor both times, great service there! they take around 90 days to resolve but they care!

Good Luck

Pablo