What's wrong with Rayovac (cheap) Charger?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Ok, this is what I did today.

1. Returned the Rayovac hybrid charger/batteries package.

2. Took a look at the Energizer USB charger at home depot. I didn't buy because it comes with 2 AAA batteries instead of AA batteries which I need.

3. Bought Energizer value charger/2 AA batteries package for $10. With $10 rebate this thing will cost me nothing.

4. Bought Eneloop charger/4 AA batteries package for $20 at WalMart. Might not be the best deal but it's got NC-MQN05U charger, which I suspect might be 4-channel charger. I read the manual the this charger, while it doesn't insist on charging in pair, it doesn't say anywhere it's 4-channel charger either.

Without costco membership, this is the best I can do.

The Eneloop charger looks simple, but it has shown to be a 4-channel charger. Might want to ask around at work and such, see if someone you know has a Costco membership.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, Mr. Happy....I just want to make sure you are not mixing up the "mobile charger" and the "power gauge charger". The power gauge charger that I saw is much bigger and not really portable. The mobile charger is quite small and stylish and has a glass cover, this is the mobile charger we are talking about right? I think pavillion has it for sale for $15. I might pick it up.
I happened to be in Target today, and they had both. The Power Gauge charger comes with 4 regular 1700 mAh AA cells and costs $19.99. The Mobile Charger comes with 4 "Pre-charged" AA cells and costs $24.99. Since the cells alone cost $9.99 when sold separately and are truly useful, that makes the Mobile Charger work out at $15.

The Mobile Charger has a flip-up mains plug, comes with a 12 V car lighter cable, and can power USB devices from the mains, from a car, or from a set of 4 cells in the charger, which makes it pretty neat. It also seems to be a 4 independent channel charger with a charging time of about 5 hours (?), so all in all it is a very versatile device.

As to size, I couldn't really tell without getting it out of its packaging. But I own the Power Gauge charger and while it isn't super compact, I don't think it is especially large or unportable. Maybe the Mobile Charger is a little smaller, but it doesn't look much smaller to me.

Last edited:

lakersgo

Newly Enlightened
Well, I was in Target today, and they had both. The Power Gauge charger comes with 4 regular 1700 mAh AA cells and costs $19.99. The Mobile Charger comes with 4 "Pre-charged" AA cells and costs $24.99. Since the cells alone cost $9.99 when sold separately and are truly useful, that makes the Mobile Charger work out at $15.

The Mobile Charger has a flip-up mains plug, comes with a 12 V car lighter cable, and can power USB devices from the mains, from a car, or from a set of 4 cells in the charger, which makes it pretty neat. It also seems to be a 4 independent channel charger with a charging time of about 5 hours (?), so all in all it is a very versatile device.

As to size, I couldn't really tell without getting it out of its packaging. But I own the Power Gauge charger and while it isn't super compact, I don't think it is especially large or unportable. Maybe the Mobile Charger is a little smaller, but it doesn't look much smaller to me.

Thanks. I think I will settle with the eneloop package that I got from walmart. Btw, if you want that mobile charger with pre-charged batteries for $15, head to Pavillion now.

Update: I just finished charging the 4 AA batteries out of box, took about 1.5 hrs to do so. This is definitely not a timed charger. Confirmed.

One day I am going to test the channel charging feature either to confirm or to disprove the consensus here.

Last edited:

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi again,

One other thing i thought i would mention is that when buying a charger
it is good to check what the charger current is, or at least how long
it takes to fully charge 4 AA cells. The chargers out there differ by
quite a bit and if the device isnt marked it could very well take as long
as 8 hours or even 24 hours to charge 4 cells. Keep an eye on that
if you dont want to wait all day for your cells to charge. Good luck.