What's you're ultimate tactical EDC Light/UI?

Triburst1

Newly Enlightened
Real nice pics Triburst.

Thanks!

I took those pics on the passenger seat of my SUV while stuck in a traffic jam. Natural light, the background is my leather work binder and the camera is an iPhone 6.:laughing:

Here's a couple more.

b43721774f0f627a81128eadcd812442_zpszsnqx05s.jpg

3fd2799a1de4600b055ec7d1ea5fe4a7_zpsbnr11v1z.jpg

Last edited:

kalel332

Newly Enlightened
I really like my klarus xt11 820 lumen version. It always truns on in high and it has an additional button for direct to strobe that also works as intensity switch when the light is on. I want the new version that is 1050lumens.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of momentary/twisty switch mentions yet this isn't a commonly available configuration

Pocket friendly is important as well you won't have it when you need it if you don't carry it. Overall if the light was jus as big as needed over an 18650, or pair of CR123 primaries is about perfect

Lights like the malkof, elzetta, surefire would be better for edc if they had a head the same diameter as the body.

Simple single mode, or two mode heads for reliability and good brightness, but not a 1000 lumin Thrower it's not needed.

Potted electronics for durability.
Stick a SF or OR twisty tail on a malkoff MD2 with a stock SF momentary switch and you almost have your EDC. I know the head is a bit bigger than the body - but not much.
P

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF 6/9P and the SF L1/2 (the ultimate 2 level, light push for low, heavy push [mash] for high, there is NO better 2 level Tactical light made).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A mod I'm fond of for my bedside table lamp.

Tail cap from a PowerTac Warrior allows the Alpha to function on low (like before) for those 2am nature calls but side switch does a 315 Alpha lumen insta strobe if needed allowing the few seconds needed to decide if the Mk II under my pillow needs to be called into service.

jruser

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for bring back an old thread, but I've been thinking about this recently. Does anyone feel the need for moonlight on a tactical light? Do you assume you will always have a second light that can handle moonlight duties?

I feel that a tactical light should have momentary max mode. Repeated button presses shouldn't change the mode. Think of the M1X Striker, where 3 presses goes to strobe. Seems like a bad idea.

Strobe should be easy access, preferably momentary. This is where a lot of the two button lights are passable but not ideal, holding the side button for 1 second gets strobe. Something like the D25LC2 Tac requires multiple twists to get to strobe. Still seems bad. Something like the Dobermann Pro almost works, but when the head is loose you could accidently switch modes out of strobe due to the 5 second memory time.

I think a tactical light should have a feature to get to moonlight, directly from off. Think of the scenario, where you step into a dark closet to reload a clip, etc. You don't want to have to jump through different modes to get a minimal amount of light. It also needs to be easy to get back to max and/or strobe. This is where most of the two switch lights fail. The M1X Strikers shortcut to moonlight seems ok, but then needs multiple clicks to get back to max.

If moonlight is important, the HDS Tactical or the Nitecore SRT5 interfaces seem ideal, but the Nitecore requires two hands to rotate the ring. The HDS has limited brightness, so the ability to use startling brightness to blind an intruder is reduced.

Thoughts? I'm starting to think of giving up the pursuit of a tactical light with both good strobe and moonlight features. I always have other lights near that could be used for moonlight.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the low output mode can't be accessed accidentally by multiple presses of the primary switch, then it's acceptable. If the output mode can't be changed accidentally by pressing a separate button, then it's acceptable.

This list (all of which I own) meet the above high/low switching requirements.

Malkoff MD2 with high/low ring
Elzetta Alpha or Bravo with high/low tailcap
Surefire LX2 (or other models with 2-stage tailcap)
Quark QT2L-X Burst

Had Surefire released the LX2 Ultra, it's likely I would have bought one. I have absolutely no desire for strobe.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
​Malkoff MDC HA TAC CR123 & SHO.

Just got a non tac version for discrete use. It's great light. I will definitely buy a tac version SHO or 3 level when the bank balance allows. The great thing is for me, that it's not too tiny, but small enough to go in my jeans and not be noticed. And of course, it's a Malkoff.
P

D6859

Enlightened
I have Armytek Predator Pro v2.5 (NW). It is the good old programmable version. If I needed flashlight in a tactical situation where my life depended upon it, I'd program it this way:

Head tight:
No mode memory
Full regulation
Max -> Low

Head open:
No mode memory
Full regulation
Strobe (-> optional low)

So it came on with either strobe or max high with every press on the tailswitch. I'm not sure though, if the twisty head ui is the best possible for a tactical situation.

This is a little bit OT, but since I started talking about Predator I can't help myself. I'm going to work in security on several music festivals during this summer. The situations where I need the flashlight are not tactical, mostly when we are closing the area for the night and checking that everyone has left. Talking (sometimes very loud talking) is the first tool that I am going to use when countering customers, so I will have time to react to things. I will take my Predator (or Dobermann if I want to be a little bit more discreet) with me programmed the following way:

Head open (general use):
No mode memory
Semi regulation
med -> moonlight -> high

Head tight (blinding, disorientation):
Mode memory
Max -> Max -> Max -> Strobe

3 maxes so that I won't accidentally turn the light on with the strobe mode when checking the area.

Dobermann is another good option with moonlight and strobe disabled for lower modes (general use) and head tight for max (blinding). I would like it a lot more if it didn't change the modes so easily - from strobe to firefly in less than 3 secs!

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MD2 H/L with whatever choice of module in whatever choice of tint. Truly bulletproof light that still works strong after 6 years of use.

It spent a few years as my primary bike light, but now has been restored to EDC tasks because it's just so good. Have thought about a newer module (got the original XP-G module that still dispels the darkness quite well), but the AUD to USD exchange rate is killer right now.

KCL Knives

Newly Enlightened
The only lights that I have ever found that covers both tactical and edc use is the FourSevens QSL/QS2L-X. These lights have a momentary only tail switch that will always come on in the mode that you program it to and a side switch which allows access to all modes including moonlight. It is the perfect interface for all uses.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a non tac version for discrete use. It's great light. I will definitely buy a tac version SHO or 3 level when the bank balance allows. The great thing is for me, that it's not too tiny, but small enough to go in my jeans and not be noticed. And of course, it's a Malkoff.
P
The size is perfect. I carry mine in the watch pocket of my Levi's. I love the 3 levels of the HA TAC, but sometimes, I just want 1 level, so I got the SHO.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer guppydrv firmware. I carry a Solarforce L2 with a Mountain Electronics built XHP50 drop-in. It's running at 3 amps on 2x18350's to make about 1800 lumens. I keep the UI set to 100% -> 25% -> 2% with no mode memory. It always starts in high and with a forward clicky I still have momentary. It works great and with guppydrv I have 21 other mode groups I can quickly reprogram it to. I can run it with or without memory, anywhere 1 to 5 modes, 100% only, 100%/Strobe, etc. It's a great UI that always a lot of options but is still simple to use.

Latest posts