When will we see the alternate screw-in reflector for the Spark SD series?

robostudent5000

Enlightened
A shiny conical reflector would chuck a meaningful amount more light generally forwards, improving distance vision while still giving a flood beam, and being a better floody beamshape for things like walking than a naked flood.

a shiny conical reflector would create a beam in which a portion of it converges at a set focal length. so depending on the angle of the cone and distance to target, it will create a hotspot.

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but it would possibly do so in the form of odd artifacts, unless it was shaped like an actual reflector... but then it would no longer be a "pure flood."
If it was a perfect cone, it would pretty much just centre-weight the beam.

Personally I make my own cones from cutting/rolling/sticking rings of silvered plastic film together, and though they're not totally artifact-free due to distortions in the cone, imperfections are only really noticeable on a white wall test. Even with small reflectors (final size ~12mm diameter, ~3mm deep, I get a ~2-3x boost in general forward intensity over a decent angle with no obvious 'edge' to the boost in real-life use.

I'm sure a commercial cone could be pretty much artifact free, if that was thought to be necessary in a practical light, and/or slightly matted to make the effect less centrally focused, if desired.

I have to say that an augmented flood seems generally better in use than a 'pure' or 'naked' flood.
The worst likely practical situation is reading, and just checking now, all that happens there is a slight variation across a page which I wouldn't notice unless I was trying to, (and which I hadn't previously noticed) and which wouldn't annoy me unless I decided to make it annoy me.

For actually doing work, it's at least as good as a pure flood, and decidedly better for any kind of movement, lighting the ground up more evenly as the beam centre naturally points at relatively distant objects.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
a shiny conical reflector would create a beam that converges at a set focal length. so depending on the angle of the cone and distance to target, it will create a hotspot.
Given the size of a tiny ~90 degree cone reflector and the size of the LED emitting area, the range of angles involves seems to give a width and soft enough edge to the enhanced area that it really doesn't harm the flood feel in actual practical use but gives a real improvement in usability at a given power level.

When camping underground, going from my helmet light to a Zebralight at equivalent power while walking/sitting around/cooking/etc, the 'pure flood' of the Zebra really feels lacking, with no obvious benefits in terms of 'niceness' of beam.

But unless someone wants me to continue, maybe I should leave it there, rather than going too much off topic.

Last edited:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
The worst likely practical situation is reading, and just checking now, all that happens there is a slight variation across a page which I wouldn't notice unless I was trying to, (and which I hadn't previously noticed) and which wouldn't annoy me unless I decided to make it annoy me.

and i think you describe the problem there to a tee. even a dull, semi reflective reflector, conical or parabolic, will create mild variations in the beam. and even small variations can be annoying for up close work for some people.

for actual on-my-feet type of work, looking at stuff 5 - 20 feet away, i agree that some kind of projection is better than a bare emitter or ZL type beam. my preferred option is a polished bare aluminum parabolic with a lightly frosted lens on top. that projects the beam forward a little better than a ZL and keeps the beam variations to a minimum.

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
and i think you describe the problem there to a tee. even a dull, semi reflective reflector, conical or parabolic, will create mild variations in the beam. and even small variations can be annoying for up close work for some people.
Sure - if I was making a light purely or overwhelmingly for use as a reading light, or for use on similarly artificial 'flat' surfaces, I might well use a naked led, or one with a matte white cone reflector.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Sure - if I was making a light purely or overwhelmingly for use as a reading light, or for use on similarly artificial 'flat' surfaces, I might well use a naked led, or one with a matte white cone reflector.

yeah, for that kind of use, a naked led or one with a ZL type lens would be best. why even risk the possible increase in glare you might get with even a shallow, white conical reflector.

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If by glare you mean potential annoyance to other people off to the side, I can't see a white cone generally increasing glare compared to having a exposed naked LED, only possibly compared to having a dark cone or similar recessed-naked LED.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
If by glare you mean potential annoyance to other people off to the side, I can't see a white cone generally increasing glare compared to having a exposed naked LED, only possibly compared to having a dark cone or similar recessed-naked LED.

i mean that if you put a reflector on a led, even a matte reflector, it will create a dim halo beyond the normal edge of the spill. this probably is a non-issue if you wear your lamp on a helmet as the bill will keep the glare off your face. but it can be if you wear the lamp on a bare head and worse if you wear glasses or have a prominent nose or high cheek bones.... yes for me on all latter four btw.

and since this particular hypothetical was about a reading/up close lamp, mounting on a helmet wouldn't be practical. so as you said, a recessed naked LED would be best. and not coincidentally i believe, that is what we see on the Spark SD.

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well! You've nicely reduced my cognitive dissonance about the stock bezel, robostudent. Feels better to have a good explanation for it--a flatter, smoother (if dimmer) illumination. Thanks for the education on reflectors, both of youse. Where do I send my tuition money?

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Earlier I reported how much I liked the screw-in reflector for walking at night.

This evening I used my SD for a little attic crawlspace work...was lazy so left the aftermarket reflector in place...FAIL. Any close joist reflects the concentrated light and blinds you. The hotspot is so narrow you must carefully aim the light AND your head to see anything, requiring lots of fiddling with the beam. A little slippage of the helmet is a problem as it shifts the beam. Look at something close and your irises shut down, then look up, and it's all dark until your eyes adjust. The light is just too concentrated for close proximity.

As if I needed to relearn this lesson: use the right tool for the job! The screw-in reflector is great for night walks, but positively ruins the SD as a worklight. So the original flood bezel is going back on and will probably live on the SD at least 80% of the time.

Last edited:

Thirsty ear

Newly Enlightened
Seems to me that the the SD is a flood light and should stay a flood light. I plan on getting one for work and keeping it stock full flood. Having to re-adjust a light with a tight hot spot while working can be a bit annoying.

And when I go on walks and I need more throw, I'll just pull out one of my tactical flashlights with great throw. I feel that it would be quicker and easier to just have a second headlight or flash light then switch out the reflector. I often switch between needing a flood vs. throw quickly. Now if the reflector attached by means of a magnet, that might make changing out quicker.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree that flood headlamp and throw in the hand is a good combo. If you have to make do with just one headlamp, the changeover in bezels takes seconds. Magnet might be quicker but you'd lose your waterproofness. And you'd need to introduce steel into the headlamp (it's aluminum).

beast1210

Newly Enlightened
Here are some beam shots with SD52, using 2-1.5v AA, and 1-14500 with a dummy cell.

2 1.5v AA without reflector

sd52wide1v_zps7d75d0b2.jpg

1-14500 without reflector

sd52wide4v_zpsb5704d49.jpg

2-1.5 AA with add on reflector

sd52nrw1v_zpsd678c784.jpg

1-14500 with add on reflector

sd52nrw4v_zpsf421578f.jpg