Where can i find a specification webpage for all these Lithium based batteries?

gdillainepub

Newly Enlightened
Hello Folks,

Here is my scenario: couple years back i bought a "Pulse" smartpen from Livescribe. Now the pen is dead (cannot be turned on despite how long you charge it). Same thing happens to my sister's. I searched online found out this was a very popular problem, besides that not much information. Only a poster on ifixit.com says he dissembled the pen, found a cylindrical cell that was hooked up to the PCB.

I have dissemble my pen too, and found its dimentions: diameter 11.5mm, Height=28.2
and there is a laser print on the cell says "GP1229L30".

=============

Now what i'm thinking is -- since a typical hobby charger charges a long list of batteries where the name sounds like 10340, 16500, 22500 etc., typically of 5 digits w/o letters.

I wonder if there is specification chart where you can find out about a typical cell, lets say 10340, -- its specific lithium chemistry, it's single cell dimensions, its nominal / max voltage.

I guess if i can get to these information i might be able to determine which battery my "Smartpen" uses and try to replace it.

Thanks a guys

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Folks,

Here is my scenario: couple years back i bought a "Pulse" smartpen from Livescribe. Now the pen is dead (cannot be turned on despite how long you charge it). Same thing happens to my sister's. I searched online found out this was a very popular problem, besides that not much information. Only a poster on ifixit.com says he dissembled the pen, found a cylindrical cell that was hooked up to the PCB.

I have dissemble my pen too, and found its dimentions: diameter 11.5mm, Height=28.2
and there is a laser print on the cell says "GP1229L30".

=============

Now what i'm thinking is -- since a typical hobby charger charges a long list of batteries where the name sounds like 10340, 16500, 22500 etc., typically of 5 digits w/o letters.

I wonder if there is specification chart where you can find out about a typical cell, lets say 10340, -- its specific lithium chemistry, it's single cell dimensions, its nominal / max voltage.

I guess if i can get to these information i might be able to determine which battery my "Smartpen" uses and try to replace it.

Thanks a guys

1229: 12mm x 29mm That's not a common size. I'm using the dinky 10180 in my CooYoo Quantum light and that's found in the DQG Fairies and other keychain lights. This will be too short.

I'm going to guess that the 'L30' stands for lithium 3.0v and not 3.7v.

Usually, the first two numbers are cell diameter and the second two are length, with the '0' denoting a round, cylindrical cell.

The 10180's capacity is 100mAh and the charging rate should be below 100mA, but your pen has a charging board inside, so I guess that you don't have to worry about the charging rate.

I'd be looking for a '12290' 3.0v LiFePO4 cell.

Google it.

Chris

gdillainepub

Newly Enlightened
1229: 12mm x 29mm That's not a common size. I'm using the dinky 10180 in my CooYoo Quantum light and that's found in the DQG Fairies and other keychain lights. This will be too short.

I'm going to guess that the 'L30' stands for lithium 3.0v and not 3.7v.

Usually, the first two numbers are cell diameter and the second two are length, with the '0' denoting a round, cylindrical cell.

The 10180's capacity is 100mAh and the charging rate should be below 100mA, but your pen has a charging board inside, so I guess that you don't have to worry about the charging rate.

I'd be looking for a '12290' 3.0v LiFePO4 cell.

Google it.

Chris

Thanks a lot Chris.

I used my own vernier caliper the dimensions were 11.5 x 28.2mm. looks pretty close. However, the smartpen was fully charged before i took it apart. I measured its voltage and it says the cell has 3.9x Volts. So i guess its not a LiFeO4.

gdillainepub

Newly Enlightened

gdillainepub

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies but still, I have that question in my original post:

I'm totally ignorant about how lithium batteries are named (i.e, names like "12290", "16500") -- the only thing i know about these 5 digit names is that they defined the form factors of the cell because hobby chargers use these names for compatibility.

Therefore I really wanna know if there online resources list all these lithium cell codes, with specifications on their form factors, chemistry, nominal/max voltage.

Anyone know about this? (i've tried google and wikipedia but didnt get me anywhere)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Looks like to me it was a 12290 cell but you can get a 10280 easily it is a common cell and may be slightly less in capacity.
Codes on these batteries vary all over the place just as codes on any parts made by multiple manufacturers vary,