Where did all the oldtimers go.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm a very late oldtimer or a very early newtimer. I always say that the oldtimers were members at the time of the Red Shoes event. I joined right after. But I still like to visit this thread. I'm still very active with lights, both tiny LED's and large, Heavy Short Arc Iron. I got the second copy of Endermans Single retro-firing, 11" LED Super Mega throwing Syniosbeam so let it not be said that I am overly partial to Short arcs.

member #6238
You're an old timer like me. Us old timers can remember the threads here about the early 5mm LED lights and luxeon 1 and 3 lights and their competing with the maglights and such. The 5mm LED shower head lights that were popular like the Inova and Xnova (clones) were front and center and lights like the Dorcy 1AAA were talked about all the time.
we are several generations of Cree emitters down the road here and I remember the first Crees which were 60-80 lumens output if that compared to 120-200+ lumen crees and lights blasting 1000 lumens vs under 100 lumens. Combine all of that with battery technology that had nicads and RAM cells with todays LSD nimh and lithium ion and the world has a huge amount of light power and endurance.
I recall a simple #222 2AA Eveready penlight that ran for about 2 hours at perhaps 20 lumens that was "good" light but costly to use a lot today with rechargeables you can run a 100 lumen lithium light for 15 hours or more for a penny or two in cost.

Essentially we are old timers in that when we joined the technology was akin to Model T's vs todays Ferraris in lights.

Think of it like this.... when I was about 10 I became a flashaholic and kids born when we started would be around 13-14 now several years a flashaholic.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I like to compare my (Dorcy version) Turtle Lite 1 with my Nitecore EA41. Both lights have a single white LED and run on four (4) AA batteries. It just shows the difference that about a decade and a half of technological advances can do.

Yes, I remember the Red Shoes, and the kerfuffle that went with that event. I even remember DavidW. I remember the excitement of getting the Rev1 Arc-AAA with the rubber sleeve for the gasket instead of an O-ring. I remember the tri-color Arc-AAA, and the huge amount of anticipation of the Arc-LS -- in COLORS!!!!!! I remember Henry's HDS Action Light (although I never managed to even SEE one until Henry brought one to a CPF GT at SHOT Show one year). I remember (and still own) Tom's eternaLights in various models, and the Derringer. I remember my joy the first time I bought David's LRI Photon I, and then the Photon II and then the Photon III Micro-Light, and then the Photon Proton, and then the Photon Proton Pro! I remember buying knock-offs and wanna-be lights, and being disappointed in the poor quality or just the poor output. I remember buying drop-in conversions for Mags, with varying levels of success. I remember working with (read: holding parts for) UncleFester while building custom-modded Mags in my kitchen. I remember several GTs in the Phoenix area, where I first met so many of you, including our very own webmistress, several manufacturers, and some REAL old-timers.

Thank you to ALL of CPF for so many good memories over the years, and for contributing to my education on many topics.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, if you have red shoes or were around when the red shoes were first offered, you're an Old-Timer. If you came afterwards, nope!

I forgot what the red shoes were about. I don't think I have them. Too old to remember. :)

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sad to admit, but that's not going to happen. Part of me still misses Scott. I bought a handful of his modded SureFires from other members back in the day. Liked what I experienced so much that I commissioned him to create what ultimately became the SF L1 "Xtreme." My idea for a light that depending on output was both a tactical light AND a general-use light all in one. Scott definitely had the ability to pull it off. Proved popular enough that Scott made other such L1 "Xtremes" for other CPFers.

Yeah..... 200 pure lumens out the front, with realistically decent runtime, out of a single CR123 battery almost a full year before SureFire created such a light. For several months, I had a light that was literally ahead of its time. Cutting edge of Technology. Pushing the envelope of flashlight technology. For a little while, I had something literally no one else on the planet had.

Scott made that all possible. But those were better times. You can't go home again. And I hate admitting this.... Scott delivered that light to me just as the very first traces of those storm clouds were forming off in the horizon. Yeah, I'm going to stop talking about Scott.
I was on the periphery during those early Milkyspit days. I was too much of a flashlight neophyte to muster up the cash for one of his mods, or for a McGizmo. I had a feeling that in due time LED technology would leapfrog beyond all that. Still, it must've been glorious to enjoy a few years of being way ahead of the curve.

I'm very sad to hear that Scott rolled off... and left a lot of people very frustrated with lights not returned. I know from experience that life changes can dramatically shift priorities and sometimes the shame factor causes you to hide from inquiries, but man -- sounds like things got ugly. Did he ever make good on everyone who was waiting for their goods? I sure hope so.

Anyway, I dropped off for a few years... as ultimately I saw sticking around would cost me dearly. Had a lot of flashlight envy. ;-) It was maddening to see the LED curve so steep... you buy a light that you really like, only to find that just 2 years later it's seriously outgunned by something even more affordable. Seems like the curve has gone a bit shallow now, so that lights from just 5 years ago are still very relevant today. The manufacturer playing field is so saturated now... so many models to choose from. But I'm glad a number of companies have progressed so well from a decade ago like Olight, Nitecore, Sunwayman, etc.

So given all we've seen... what's still on the wish list for folks here? I'm really eager to see better heat management (or reduction in heat generation) for much longer runtimes at high output.

Last edited:

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

ygbsm

Enlightened
I'm a very late oldtimer or a very early newtimer. I always say that the oldtimers were members at the time of the Red Shoes event. I joined right after. But I still like to visit this thread. I'm still very active with lights, both tiny LED's and large, Heavy Short Arc Iron. I got the second copy of Endermans Single retro-firing, 11" LED Super Mega throwing Syniosbeam so let it not be said that I am overly partial to Short arcs.

member #6238

I guess I'm an oldtimer in addition to being old. #1195

Bogie

Enlightened
Here are some old single cell's the old guys will remember.

5757fc6b418d9ec620ce5604b49716a7.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Here are some old single cell's the old guys will remember.

5757fc6b418d9ec620ce5604b49716a7.jpg

The middle one, in that exact color still sits next to my home phone in my bedroom. The one on the right with its super squishy tailcap button is somewhere behind me in a storage box, as I type this.

Last edited: