Where did all the oldtimers go.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still around. I don't visit much because LED lights have become so mature and a bit of a commodity although it seems they are still innovating and getting even more lumens out of smaller size lights. Looking thru a few posts in this thread, I wonder what happened to some of the old timers that were around when I joined such as the LED Museum, Darrell the Car Guy, TED The LED and Brock from Green Bay to name a few. I assume Sasha still runs the place and David W. is still in hiding.

The oldest light I still use once in a blue moon is a Surefire E2 with a KL1 head. 75 lumens maybe? I have an Arc AAA in the work tool box but can't think of the last time I used it. Wonder what path Peter Gransee traveled after the demise of Arc Flashlight?

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys...

Well...I`m still alive!

Age 72 now, Still going 100 mph in my full-time practice of law...working exclusively out of my home in Burlington, Wisconsin.

I relish my memories of the "good old days" on the CPF, when yours truly and all of my contemporaries were young, vibrant and invincible! And, of course, we were totally confident that we had an excellent grasp of everything that there was to know about life!

In the more recent years, I have toned down my activity here, having, quite frankly, enough flashlights in my collection to last me even several more lifetimes. I have been most fortunate in that regard.

As I have often stated in my early posts on the CPF, we are an eclectic group of persons, who have had the truly singular privilege of meeting each other in this beautiful part of cyberspace.

I wish all of you well...and long live the CPF!

John

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Still alive but haven't been active in the hobby for ages. Maybe once a year I stop by just to see what's going on but haven't posted for a while. I got a good consulting gig in 2014 which lasted through early 2018. That kept me busy, as did dealing with my mother's increasing inability to take care of herself due to dementia. Now being a caretaker is what I do. I involuntarily retired when my last consulting gig ended. Given the pandemic and economic repercussions that will follow my retirement is likely permanent.

My mom is healthy internally (i.e. her organs) but no longer walks and pretty much functions at the level of a child. So everything (bathing, cooking, putting her on the toilet, etc.) falls on me. My siblings both have full-time jobs and are physically unable to do the lifting which is part of my mom's care. Basically then, I'm on my own. Haven't had a day off from taking care of mom since she returned from rehab on January 26, 2018 after an operation for a cranial hematoma. I'll be 58 in November. It's entirely possible I'll be mom's caretaker well into my 60s. Haven't been out since March, either, other than to the local grocery store 4 blocks away. Anyway, just letting everyone know I'm still alive.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still alive but haven't been active in the hobby for ages. Maybe once a year I stop by just to see what's going on but haven't posted for a while. I got a good consulting gig in 2014 which lasted through early 2018. That kept me busy, as did dealing with my mother's increasing inability to take care of herself due to dementia. Now being a caretaker is what I do. I involuntarily retired when my last consulting gig ended. Given the pandemic and economic repercussions that will follow my retirement is likely permanent.

My mom is healthy internally (i.e. her organs) but no longer walks and pretty much functions at the level of a child. So everything (bathing, cooking, putting her on the toilet, etc.) falls on me. My siblings both have full-time jobs and are physically unable to do the lifting which is part of my mom's care. Basically then, I'm on my own. Haven't had a day off from taking care of mom since she returned from rehab on January 26, 2018 after an operation for a cranial hematoma. I'll be 58 in November. It's entirely possible I'll be mom's caretaker well into my 60s. Haven't been out since March, either, other than to the local grocery store 4 blocks away. Anyway, just letting everyone know I'm still alive.

Scorpio or saggitarius? Happy birthday either way. Hang in there with mom. I know it's tough. My grandfather was dying of cancer when he pulled out his tubes and demanded to go home. Because he was still bigger than us, we all obliged. I was taught to take care of him but he really didn't need much up until he passed. Grandma was more of a challenge. She had so much energy and was so clever she would sneak off every chance she got. She didn't recognize my mother one day and gave her a black eye thinking she was a burglar. My 3-year old would help her to the bathroom by pushing on her but while I held her arm. It wasn't until later I realized she thought it was me as a 3-year old and the guy helping her was my grandpa. Right before she became really weak (though we did find her digging in her garden with her bare hands soon after she turned 100). Months before she passed she asked my wife when the baby was due. We thought she was talking about the 3year old, but that week my wife found out she was pregnant. Enjoy the moments of clarity. I used to grill her like crazy when she thought it was the fourties. I collected guns from that period and never asked my grandpa about the war. She said to me, "what war?" I thought she lost her memory again but she continued, "I didn't see any war. I worked in a kitchen!" She was the head chef in an officer's club on an army base.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Scorpio or saggitarius? Happy birthday either way. Hang in there with mom. I know it's tough. My grandfather was dying of cancer when he pulled out his tubes and demanded to go home. Because he was still bigger than us, we all obliged. I was taught to take care of him but he really didn't need much up until he passed. Grandma was more of a challenge. She had so much energy and was so clever she would sneak off every chance she got. She didn't recognize my mother one day and gave her a black eye thinking she was a burglar. My 3-year old would help her to the bathroom by pushing on her but while I held her arm. It wasn't until later I realized she thought it was me as a 3-year old and the guy helping her was my grandpa. Right before she became really weak (though we did find her digging in her garden with her bare hands soon after she turned 100). Months before she passed she asked my wife when the baby was due. We thought she was talking about the 3year old, but that week my wife found out she was pregnant. Enjoy the moments of clarity. I used to grill her like crazy when she thought it was the fourties. I collected guns from that period and never asked my grandpa about the war. She said to me, "what war?" I thought she lost her memory again but she continued, "I didn't see any war. I worked in a kitchen!" She was the head chef in an officer's club on an army base.
Saggitarius-November 30.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. My mom is past any moments of clarity, at least as far as I can tell. She seems to enjoy and understand TV to some extent. Maybe the problem is the speech centers. What comes out is mostly gibberish to me even though it seems like she's trying to form coherent sentences. Sad thing is she starting losing her faculties when she was about 75, which isn't old by today's standards. It just became worse and worse until in November 2017 she stopped walking. We put her in the hospital thinking it was a joint issue causing a lot of pain. Instead, they found a cranial hematoma, which certainly affected her mental functions and maybe her balance, making her fearful of walking. Mentally, I'd say she's been stable since, getting neither better nor worse, but functionally she's probably like a grade school child.

Have you heard of ultrasonic treatment for dementia? I read about it somewhere. The theory sounds promising. I think they might have been moving to human trials a year or two ago. I'd love to see if it would help my mother. Might look into it once this pandemic is over.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thread's not dead.
Anyone know what a Luxeon is? ;-)
Oh hell yeah. I think I have a couple of those emitters still lying around here, along with the LEDs from the latest Photon lights as well, in addition to some LEDs from Yuji, in 3200k/5600k.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did all of us oldtimers make it to 2021? We haven't had a post here since December. :)

Bogie

Enlightened
Still here still adding
2bd377885991594625ce08f5fff1ed2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Still here, and still buying (and giving) more lights. Still checking in occasionally, and still pulling out my first-generation Arc-AAA with the rubber sleeve gasket every now and then to show people how far things have come.

Another thing I like to do is to grab my Dorcy Turtle-Lite (sp?), which has a single LED and runs on 4 AA cells, and wave it around in a very dark area to show folks what the state of the art was back in about 2000. Then I pull out my Nitecore EA-41, which also has a single LED and runs on 4 AA cells, turn it on in "moonlight" mode, and wave THAT one around. Pretty similar results, to be honest. And then I hit Turbo on the EA-41, and say, "THAT is what 15 years' worth of progress can do for you!"

Never fails to impress, even when I'm doing it for fellow flashoholics, because the contrast is so stark, and because many of us have gotten so very used to what lights can do these days.

Acid87

Enlightened
Been 5 years since I last checked in! Forum has (unsurprisingly) changed a little. Going through my messages checking people are still here a few notable missing. Guiri (George) hasn't been on a while and was hoping he is OK. Good to see others like Kaichu Dento still here [emoji1303]

Might be back in another 5 years HAHA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still here check in kinda regular. Not near the frequency from days gone by. I used to be here 5-6 hours a day so much was happening in the early 2k's so much out there these days! A Flashaholic's dream Looking for more robust lights these days.
Chris