Where to start for a knife newbie? *some choices made*

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update : Some choices narrowed down in post #37.

---------------------------------
I have totally ZERO knowledge about knives. Bought an old Buck 'Rambo' type 'survival knife' many years back as a kid, got it confiscated by my Mum and haven't seen it since.

I see lotsa great looking knives around but I have no idea where to start. Is there a big review site for knives, something like Flashlightreviews for lights?

Basically, I want a folding knife for use when out hiking/trekking (mebe about $30-50 for starters.. how much better and how better are the $100+ knives?) and maybe after I get into the whole knife thing, I might just collect for the sake of collecting (no!! not another hobby! :D )

I've looked around in Bladeforums but couldn't find that much (yet) that would help a total newbie. Like what to look for in knives, different types of steel etc...

Good and affordable retailer links would also be welcomed for later purchasing. Right now I am looking at ebay store "upnorthknives" as I bought a Gladius from them.

So far, I like the look of the Buck Alpha Dorado Charcoal :-
http://cgi.ebay.com/Buck-Knife-Alph...98666QQcategoryZ42577QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

and the Buck Strider 889 military :-
http://cgi.ebay.com/Buck-Strider-88...33501QQcategoryZ63792QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

although I have absolutely no idea how good they are and whether I should get some other knives as I hardly see Buck mentioned. Looks like people mostly get Benchmades, CRKTs, Spyderco and Gerber knives.

All kinds of newbie-type info/links/pictures/recommendations welcome! :)
:thanks:

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Where to start for a knife newbie?

Haha.. I will prepare myself.. after all, I have some "experience" from being sucked into flashlights.

But if you could elaborate why you chose that, that'd be great for me to learn what to look out for. Did you pick solely on looks? Or do you know something about their comparative quality? Issue of bladeplay etc...

I need to know what to look out for when getting a good knife :) Thanks!

Raven

Enlightened

I'm not a knife collector, but I've never heard one bad thing about spyderco folders. I've had my police model for almost a decade, and I consider it one of the better investments that I've ever made.

As for collecting knives; well, I get a bit edgy paying several hundred dollars for a knife, when I could spend the same amount and buy a nice gun instead :D

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast

No guns allowed here in Singapore (fortunately, for my wallet's sake, if not for safety's sake) and knives are barely allowed without good reason.

I've only shot a few guns during my National Service and time as an LEO ... M16, S&W 0.38, Taurus 85 0.38.

Can't believe throughout all those times I wasn't a flashaholic!! :D Now that I think back, there have been so many opportunities to whip out a good light. Now, an office job and urban lifestyle hardly requires light :(

Last edited:

guncollector

Enlightened

LEDcandle said:
I have totally ZERO knowledge about knives.
Don't worry. We all start somewhere, and the learning curve is not steep, though the sickness of knife collecting is a precipitous fall! You have been warned.

I see lotsa great looking knives around but I have no idea where to start. Is there a big review site for knives, something like Flashlightreviews for lights?

-snip-

I've looked around in Bladeforums but couldn't find that much (yet) that would help a total newbie. Like what to look for in knives, different types of steel etc...
Bladeforums is the place to start. The problem is that amount of info is so voluminous, that its hard to wade through it all to harvest the wisdom nuggets for beginners. There's also knifeforums.com and usualsuspect.net.

Basically, I want a folding knife for use when out hiking/trekking (mebe about $30-50 for starters.. how much better and how better are the $100+ knives?) and maybe after I get into the whole knife thing, I might just collect for the sake of collecting (no!! not another hobby! :D )
Good news is you have lots of good choices. Stick with one of the larger makers (Benchmade, Columbia River Knife & Tool [CRKT], Spyderco, Buck, Gerber, etc.) and you'll do just fine. You'll probably find most of the knives in that price range will use AUS8 steel--which is fine (not so long ago it was considered the "wonder steel", but has since been eclipsed by the likes of ATS-34, BG42, S30V (Stellite), Talonite, etc.).

The next step up starts at about the $80-150 range. You get better steel and construction; something you can now pass down even after hard use. You get better edge retention (in the form of better steels) and corrosion resistance--though this varies greatly--as some very specialized steels compromise corrosion resistance for sheer strength (i.e. D2). Stick to steels like ATS-34 or better. Check out outfits like Emerson Knives, Microtech, etc.

The next step up starts in the $200-500 range. Here you really get penultimate level--where the custom market comes into its own. Here you get unparalleled "fit and finish"; and literally knives that can become heirlooms along with hard use. The steels get more exotic, with the use of Damascus (fold-forged steels) that combine the best qualities of divergent steel types. The non-blade materials start to contain titanium, etc. The adornment options are endless, leather or wood inlays, carbon fiber. Check out popular makers like Kit Carson (famed for his "M16" series--reproduced in mass-production versions by CRKT), Tom Mayo (who's repro'd by Buck with the "TNT" model), Chris Reeve Knives (for his famed "Sebenza"--arguably the finest semi-custom there is. Period).

From $500 up, you don't get an appreciably finer-made knife. You're paying primarily for collector interest and scarcity, and sheer artistry (don't underestimate these qualities). The technology simply has been maxed out at the previous price point.

My suggestion is to start in "level 2" ($80-150), buy one knife which you'll be proud to own even years down the road--even if you get into customs. I still have my original Emerson CQC-7 ($100?)--my first "tactical/quality knife"--that has been to hell and back and laughts it off. It still serves as my workbench/garage knife and handles everything I can expect of it.

HTH!

savumaki

Enlightened

Be prepared for a virtual flood of suggestions as to what is the best; and they will all be right because they are for the person who made them.

My experience;
I have EDC a pocket knife for the last 40+ years and have owned many types. My last one was a medium run Kershaw that was with me for 15 or so years and served me well- in fact I had just replaced the side plates (no charge) prior to having it go astray.
I spent a considerable amount of time researching a replacement and became very intrigued with the U2 by Falkniven (Swedish). I have now been carrying it for three months and am ecstacic about it; it is very light, perfect size for pocket carry and to date has cut cardboard (lots), rubber and plastic hoses, rope, wood and all those things we always need a knife for; and the edge is as new (VERY sharp). Powdered metal edges are fantastic.
At $50 it is just about the perfect choice for a first time knife; I am so impressed that I intend to buy some more as gifts plus having one or two more for the tackle box and wherever.
That's JMHO

also try http://www.knifeforums.com/ if you want information overload :huh:.

good luck
Karl

Synergy

Newly Enlightened

BladeForums can tend to be a bit overwhelming, especially if you're new. Stick with proven brands, i.e. Spyderco, Benchmade, etc. who tend to have a better quality product. BTW, these two brands also have their own forums on their websites. These forums are also a bit smaller then BladeForums and it may be easier to find useful information.

Don't concern yourself with blade steel at this point. Everyone and their brother will try and sell you on the merits of the latest high-end steels (S30V, etc.). While nice to have, you definitely don't need. These steels tend to have great edge retention but at the price of being difficult to sharpen, which is the last thing someone new to knives needs. There are plenty of good steels to be had in the sub-$100 range, including 8A, VG10, 440C, etc. These will serve your needs just as well as the higher-ends will and will save you much frustration later when it comes time to re-sharpen.

Personally, I prefer Spyderco knives and I've carried them for over 10 years. But that is me. You will have to decide for yourself which one you'll prefer. In your stated price range I'd probably recommend a Spyderco Endura or Delica or one of the Benchmade Griptillian series. With either, you'd be getting a reliable knife with good blade steel from a proven company. Hope this helps.

ghostrider

Enlightened

Both of the knives you are eying are okay. I know that I bought a Buck Alpha a few years ago at Wal-Mart, and noticed it had a loose thumb stud. When I called Buck, they told me it shouldn't be loose at all, let alone wobble. When I went too exchange it, there was only one other one (they were on close out at the time) it also had a loose thumb stud, although not as bad. I could have sent it in for repair, and still saved money, but just didn't feel it worth the hassle. I've never put it to the test, but in my dealings with Buck's customer service I was left with the impression that they'll stand by their knives, and that's something to take into consideration.

There is really no "best" when it comes to most things, and knives are no exception. I lost my EDC knife a few years ago and went on a quest for the one that would best meet my needs. Here's what I discovered:

There are many important/ and unimportant things, and they mainly depend upon the individual user.

Example:

People say, "Blade steel isn't important." I say it depends on the individual. When I was on my quest for a new knife, I tried two different CRKT's that I thought I would like. I found that I didn't like them because of the blade steel. At the time, I was using my knife on a daily basis to break down cardboard, and open product wrapping. Problem was that the steel used on these two knives was requiring a re-sharpening anywhere up to three times a day. They sharpened easily, and took a decent edge, but they dulled to easily. That doesn't make them bad knives; they just didn't fit my needs. For someone who doesn't use their knife all that often, and when they do it is just a little use, edge retention probably won't matter. They'd probably rather have softer steel that is easier to sharpen. One thing I did learn is that I truly adore VG-10 steel because my experience with it is that it is just as easy to sharpen as something like AUS-8, while being better at edge retention (IIRC, it's similar to ATS-34, but with a slight improvement).

Another thing about blade steel is that there are other variables that determine the ability. Among them are: grind, edge/blade geometry, heat treat, tempering.

It's always a good idea if you can go somewhere to handle the knives before making a decision. I think ergonomics is important, because it can prevent hand fatigue during extended use. Then again, I use mine, you may not. For someone who just wants one to carry in his or her in the slacks to the office, something smaller, and more "friendly" might be better. Smaller knives are not often going to be the best for extensive use, but are often les obtrusive.

Things to look for:

1. Ergonomics.

What grips are you going to use it in, and how does it feel when griped hard?

2. How well does it ride in the pocket?

Some people like a clip that allows for deep carry so the knife isn't as noticeable. Others want it to ride higher so it is easier to deploy. I use my pockets, so I want a knife that won't get in the way when I'm digging something out of my pocket.

3. Stud or hole. Here is where I'm going to plug Spyderco. Wear gloves when looking and handling. The hole just plain works better. I'm a converted AO stud user.

4.What are your intended uses, and what is you skill level in sharpening?

I'm guessing it's not for self-defense, but if your going to be stabbing it into a tree trunk every year during deer season, you probably want to stay away from knives with thin tips like the Police, or Endura 3.

There are probably other factors I failed to mention, these were just "off the top of my head". Best to handle and ask the dealers if you can.

All that aside, here is my recommendation:

Anything from the Spyderco Salt series of knives, preferably plain edge. They are very well built, unobtrusive in the pocket, have good ergonomics, easy to sharpen while having good edge retention (the H-1 steel used in them is different from most other steels in the way it hardens), and they won't rust. With them, you'll have a low maintenance knife that sharpens easily with little loss in the edge retention department. They will also feel good in the hand to use while not being so bulky that they won't ride well in the pocket.

Good luck, and be wary. Knives are just as addictive as flashlights, and you'll probably need more than one.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast

As what ghostrider stated: make sure the knife is comfortable in hand and you can open/close the blade without difficulty. Some of the thumb hole/studs relative to the size of your hand may be awkward so try them out.

For me leavng home without a knife is about the same level as forgetting the car keys. ;) Luckily sometimes when I do notice I;ve left the knife at home, I have a spare in the car. Have to fend of the withdrawl shakes so it has to be on hand. :D

CLHC

Flashaholic

Lots of advice given here. Mainly if you can see them up close and personal and actually feel it in your hands, that would be the way to go too. At least for me, I've had the opportunity of seeing and feeling the knives I was interested in first hand before purchasing them. Some of the knives I've owned were from Buck (first name brand), Benchmade, Emerson, Microtech, Spyderco.

Anyhou, hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Make a run to bladeforums. Then buy a $40 Spyderco Native to get the latest and greatest steel. =D
seriously, what are you gonna use it for?

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened

I love my native (I had a gen 1 native and loved it too). I just bought the new one at Wally world, nice, SHARP (all the spydercos I've gotten have an amazing factory edge), and very comfortable for me to use.

I have several spydercos, Kershaws, and a couple CRKTs... I always end up with something new after a couple months. Next is a mini grip with a sheepsfoot blade I think, and maybe a mini-pika.

SJACKAL

Enlightened

How often you trek/camp/fish? Malaysian national parks? I guess the trekking/camping/fishing is just an excuse to jump into the knive hobby. It was mine excuse too. :) Coz in fact for trek/camp I guess a parang complimented by a good Swiss Army Knives would suffice.

Spydercos are affordable and good, good bang for the cash. But I eventually wanted something more than lockbacks. Next popular step up will be Benchmades, with the wide range, good quality and axis lock. Then a bit higher up Microtech, Strider, Al Mar, etc. But I find the hobby most enjoyable at Benchmades coz they are'nt that expensive but still generate lotsa of interest in me. In our country, I don't dream about the American custom knives. But at Sheares, they sometimes have custom knives by Japanese knife smiths which are good value, if you eventually got as crazed as that.

Enjoy.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi guys, I've been reading up in Bladeforums and checking out some links... but as I suspected, it'd be easier to start off in this section here at CPF with advice from good folks like yourselves instead of diving straight into Bladeforums.

:thanks:

guncollector, that's an excellent rundown and categorisation. I might start at Level 2 if I find something I really like and if I didn't blow it on a flashlight :D

savumaki, the Falkniven U2 looks nice. Thanks for linking me up. I haven't seen it yet in the normal channels.

Synergy, I see lotsa posts recommending the Endura and Delica 4 and the Griptilians/Mini grips. That might be a good way to start.. I kinda like the mini-grips. But maybe I'll look for something less commonly used (which may be a bad choice...haha) :D

justsomeguy, I have a couple of friends in the States... I guess I could get them to check it out. Might have to sit thru a little nagging tho... "What??? Knives now??" :D

ghostrider, great advice! I never thought about the sharpening issue with harder steel blades. I have no sharpening skills whatsoever besides sharpening an occasional dart :D

RA40, I haven't reached the point I need to EDC a knife (except my Leatherman Squirt), but I feel the same way about flashlights :) Anyway, I can't really legally carry a knife here for no purpose :p

CHC, I'll try to 'try out' some knives at local shops (rare) but the prices are rather steep if I remember correctly and I try to avoid 'wasting' their time if I am not intending to buy from them. But I bought my SF Z2 from there, so maybe I can go back and buy some batts and check out knives :D

Garageboy, thanks for the hookup. Seriously, I don't have a particular purpose except that I might be planning a trekking/hiking trip sometime soon and it'd be good to start looking into knives cuz I know i'll prob need a good one. I could use it to open cartons and stuff, but I guess a $0.50 disposable penknife would do the job just fine. Maybe just for fun I'll use to to make apple chips! :laughing"

Thanks for the great advice guys... I think with your help I've moved on to the next level.. I've started recognizing names, models and manufacturers already. Oh no! :whistle:

Add :

Ousanas, looks like I really gotta check out the Native :)

SJACKAL, actually, I don't do outdoor trips that often. It's true that its an excuse to start collecting something else. Haha... I noticed Sheares had knives and might go there to check it out but don't want to waste their time if I'm not buying from them.

I guess I've always been a little bit of a knifeaholic (what do they call a knife addict) since young (like flashlights), but never really owned a good one. But I definitely loved to pick up cheapies and use them whenver I could.

Last edited:

Synergy

Newly Enlightened

Hmmm....

Something less commonly used....Take a peek at the Spyderco D'Allara Drop Point - VG10 steel (holds an edge and easy to sharpen) with a strong tip, large thumbhole in the blade for easy opening, a sturdy ambidextorous clip,stainless steel liners and an extremely strong and smooth-opening ball-bearing lock system (similar to the Axis lock on the Benchmade Griptillian series). About the biggest con with this knife is that it tends to be a little bulky in the pocket. Price should be about in your range also.

There are also several good knives in the under $20 range and I'd be happy to recommend a few if you're just looking for an inexpensive everyday beater.(Not all Spyderco's either...:lolsign: )

Now stepping up from the $50-$100 range to the over $100 range (upper end production knives) opens up a whole new can of worms :grin2:

ghostrider

Enlightened

Synergy said:

There are also several good knives in the under $20 range and I'd be happy to recommend a few if you're just looking for an inexpensive everyday beater.(Not all Spyderco's either...:lolsign: )

So true. Some of them are byrds.:lolsign:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Synergy, thanks for offering more linkups. Sure, I wouldn't mind more recommendations, regardless of price range first.

The D'Allara isn't the shape I like.. :D

I looked around quite a bit, and still like the Buck 889 in my first post. The SOG FlashII and Spyderco Manix are nice too, but on the expensive side. Don't know if I want to mess with S30V steel yet :D

I read up a little about sharpening and have no idea what's the best way. I've seen the Emerson FAQ, but does that work only for one-side edged emerson blades?

How do triangle shape grinding sticks work? How does the Spyderco Sharpmaker work for that matter? And something like this http://newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=4279 ?

P/S The Buck I bought when I was 10 is a Buck 119. If I can get it back from my Mum, I'd have a 'first' knife all over again... heh.. :D Does this mean I'm not a total knife noob since I started at 10? :laughing:

Just to explain why I can't get it back is cuz back then, my Mum took the knife, paid me for it and told me she sold it to one of the 'boys' at the office. But I saw it in her cupboard by chance during spring cleaning sometime later and I know she has it. But technically, its not supposed to be there. So I'm not sure how to approach getting it back since I'm suppose to assume it was sold... hmmm... think I'll post in Bladeforums and maybe knifeforums for more ideas... :D

Last edited:

mbely2

Enlightened

If you like the looks of Benchmade Mini-Griptilian I suggest to get it: this is an exellent knife, one of the best EDC folders and right in your outlined price range.
No doubt there are many other choices, but if you like to make things less complicated and to start somewere, then mini-grip is a great place to start.

I am pretty sure you will not be dissapointed with this choice and will find many uses for this little knife even when you will have other more expensive knives in the future.
Good luck!

Mark

Last edited: