Where to start for a knife newbie? *some choices made*

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Where to start for a knife newbie?

Thanks mbely2... I've read good reviews about them though they are not on the top of my list with regards to looks but not that far down either.

I checked out the Spyderco Native and I really like the "Spyderco C41PSBBK Native, FRN Handle, Black Blade". If I get a serrated edge blade, how do you sharpen that? (Prev post was asking about generic sharpening too)

And oh, I really like the Emerson Commander!! But $$$$$$.... I stick to my no expensive EDCs so I won't be too afraid to use/damage/lose them.

Synergy

Newly Enlightened

ghostrider said:
So true. Some of them are byrds.:lolsign:

LOL...actually I was thinking along the lines of a Kershaw Vapor or Kabar Dozier Hunter...I've personally never owned a byrd....yet...

LEDcandle...you seem partial to Buck...have you checked out the little Buck 55 - the half-size version of the 110? They also have the Mayo Northshore and Tarani Strider that seem pretty nice also, though I'm not overly familiar with either (I've handled that Strider before and it seems like a very well-built/designed knife)

That Manix is really nice..built like a tank...but I'd stay away from S30V knives for now

For sharpening, you really can't beat the Sharpmaker 204, esp. for sharpening serrated edges (and New Grahams is a great dealer to buy from,btw...awesome service!:thumbsup: )

guncollector

Enlightened

Synergy said:
For sharpening, you really can't beat the Sharpmaker 204, esp. for sharpening serrated edges

Ditto that. I've tried'em all, sharpening stones, the EdgePro devices, etc. and the only one I use now is my Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's the best sharpener--for me--short of a motorized grinding belt.

Regarding edge grinds: the chisel-grind ("one-sided grind" referred to above) takes a bit of getting used to, its push-cuts differently that you're probably accustomed to (the knife will want to curve towards the grind side) but is easier to sharpen; the v-grinds ("triangle") while requiring a tad more effort to sharpen will push-cut in the normal manner. All depends on what you're looking for in terms of performance out of the knife. If in doubt, stick to a normal v-grind.

Last edited:

buba

Newly Enlightened

Also have a look at the RAT-1 while you are checking out Newgraham. Very nice handle in a hard use folder.

Here

While you are there have a look at the Al Mar Falcon Ultra Light Talon. Outstanding production gent's EDC knife weighting in at under 2 oz.

I am also a fan of White Lightning wax lubricant for folder hinges. Makes most all folders open smoother.

Last edited:

ghostrider

Enlightened

I'll put in another vote for the Sharpmaker. The key thing to remember is to maintain a proper edge on the knife. Don't let it get dull. The Sharpmaker is great for this, but if the knife gets too dull, then it will need to be re-beveled, and that will take forever on the Sharpmaker. Best to just keep it up with routine sharpening when needed. The Sharpmaker is an investment you will be eternaly grateful for.

Serrations are a little tricky, but they can be done on the Sharpmaker providing they are wide enough. Some companies make them so small that the best you can do is just file them down to a PE. An exception is Cold Steel, who has a special Crock Stick made by Lansky for thier serrations.

CLHC

Flashaholic

Quick question on NewGrahamKnives, and not to be "robbing of the green" here—Do they offer some sort of discount to members belonging to certain forums? To me, they're pricey as opposed to some of the other online retailers and that's including shipping. :huh: An example is the BM630BK which costs forty-something more?

Okay back on track, I have to agree with the others here on investing in the Sharpmaker! :thumbsup:

ghostrider

Enlightened

CHC said:
Quick question on NewGrahamKnives, and not to be "robbing of the green" here—Do they offer some sort of discount to members belonging to certain forums? To me, they're pricey as opposed to some of the other online retailers and that's including shipping. :huh: An example is the BM630BK which costs forty-something more?

Okay back on track, I have to agree with the others here on investing in the Sharpmaker! :thumbsup:
Not that I know of. I looked up thier price for the BM630BK-502 @ $162.50 (BM630BK-503 @ $181.25)

Knifecenter @ $229.95
GP Knives @ $262.00 (doesn't say which one)

What retailers are you looking at? Where can you get a BM630 for $122.50?

CLHC

Flashaholic

ghostrider

Enlightened

CHC said:
Whoa! Excuse me here. The "standard"—if you will—BM635 goes for one hundred ninteen ninty-five while the BM630 is one hundred forty-one ninty-five.

First link is the Black-on-Black and latest offering from said retailer.

http://discountsupplyunlimited.com/benchmade_mini_skirmish_black_on_black_knife.html

http://discountsupplyunlimited.com/benchmade_blackwood_knives.html
Strange.

NKG's price on the BM635BK-501 is $143.75, while the site you gave has it for $ 156.95. Then they list a BM635 for $131.25 (no variant designation).

On the BM635BK-503:
NKG @ $162.50
DSU (my abbreviation for the link you provided) @ $ 172.95

On the BM630:
NKG @ $156.25
DSU @ $ 141.95

Not real sure what's going on with the standard. It could well be that NGK is higher on that particular model, but if I were interested, it is something I'd call MB on just to make sure their pricing is correct. They are probably still getting used to their new site.

I think if you compare "apples to apples" NKG has better pricing, but there may well be some exceptions. I have a feeling that with them concerning the company you linked, they are higher on some, and lower on others.

Have you often used this Discount Supply company, and if so how are they?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

For a beginner do-everything knife, I"d strongly suggest the Spyderco endura 4, plain edge (not serrated). Forget whether or not you like the looks of it. It will perform as well or better than anything in its class, and may well teach you a bunch about what makes a knife really sing. Great steel, great EDC blade shape, great edge geometry out of the box, great sharpenability, great ergonomics, strong construction, great carryability, great opening-hole. Once you see how it performs, you'll come to like the way it looks. IMO, it trounces the two knives you're looking at so far.

In my opinion, absolutely the place you should start in that price range.

CLHC

Flashaholic

Hello ghostrider!

Just found the site last week while perusing online for discounted pricing on knives. That's all.

ghostrider

Enlightened

CHC said:
Hello ghostrider!

Just found the site last week while perusing online for discounted pricing on knives. That's all.
Sounds interesting. Let us know how it goes.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for more ideas and tips guys.

I guess I'll try to go for the regular "v" edge rather than a chiselled edge if I had a choice. Also, prob no S30V for me till I'm more into it.

I'll look around in the various retailers too and Ebay seems to have good pricing as well. The Endura 4 does indeed look like a possible choice now that I've looked at it again. I guess I might get a combo edge because I foresee myself possibly using the knife for cutting stuff like rope and maybe thicker items. Sharpening the serrated edge will be a pain for a noob though :D

CLHC

Flashaholic

Hello again LEDcandle!

If you do go with that Spyderco Endura, that's an excellent choice. Certainly cannot go wrong with a very purposeful knife. I too went with the combo edge on said model.

ghostrider—Yes I placed an order for the BM635BK Au Anodized Ti since it was the least expensive I've found online which included the shipping to my doorstep. For me, eBay doesn't really sell me, just the info and postings contained within only for my references. That's all.

Enjoy!

ghostrider

Enlightened

I highly recommend the Endura 4 in combo edge. I have the Endura 3 CE and found it to be quite versatile. It's like having two, different, two-inch blades on one knife. If you do get one, make sure you order the Sharpmaker with it, and watch the instructional video that comes with it. Better to be able to sharpen it before it gets too dull, than to wait until it's completely dull and have to start over, especially with serrations. Whenever someone asks what a good, first knife for all around use would be in an entry-level price range, my answer is almost always the Endura/4 CE in FRN.

If they made the Pacific Salt in CE, I'd recommend that. It's very similar to the Endura 4, but requires less maintenance. If you decide to go with plain edge, give it a try. It Won't Rust.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great thread here cause I m a noob in knives too. I m going for spyderco. Too bad there is no Pacific Salt here in Dubai for that would be my choice.
Anyone experienced with Cold Steel?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I've narrowed down my choices for my 'first' knife, based on looks, the edge, size etc... not sure how good they feel or how good the locks are, but this is what I found myself looking at :-

1) Black handle and blade
2) Around 6-8" total length (I'm pouching it, not pocket, so not too much prob with size)
3) Around 3-3.5" blade length
4) Preferably combo edge (but serrations shouldn't take up too much of the blade)
5) $50 + -
6) Preferably not S30V steel since it might be too much for a noob

I have kinda narrowed down to these 3, but all are lacking in one aspect of another :-

Buck Strider 889
- No combo edge
bucl-strider-889-military.jpg

Spyderco Native FRN handle
- S30V steel
- On spyderco site, they only show comboedge (sold out) and plain. On ebay, they classify it as 'serrated' edge. Even if its combo edge, the serrations take up to much blade space.
Spyderco-Native_FRN_Black_Blade-C41B.jpg

Benchmade 556 Mini-grip
- Guess this meets all requirements, though it is the most expensive
- Any idea whats the difference between 556BK and 556BT models? Newgraham shows them at few dollars diff. Is it just coating color?
Benchmade_556SBK.jpg

knifecomparo.jpg

Any other black knives that meet my requirements at this price? :D

Last edited:

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Cold Steel Recon 1 series that I came across are really attractive, but I got no idea how good they are.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks good too :D Price range? Edit : found, ard $70
Anyone can enlighten what the different blade shapes do?

I only know the 'talon' type blade shapes are often used in fishing/marine to hold down the object while slicing.

Last edited:

SJACKAL

Enlightened

I am the type that had been influenced by the knife purists to hate combo edges.

My guess is that traditional clip point and drop point etc are hunter/trapper knife shapes, the point is clipped or dropped so that skinning animals is easier and you won't poke into the flesh while skinning.

Modern knives have modified shapes more or less, for utility or for marketing. Just my guess.