Where to start for a knife newbie? *some choices made*

CLHC

Flashaholic
EDCing the knives in pocket or belt is fine with me, but I don't know about them baggy cargo style pants. I'm more of the "carpenter" style relaxed jeans from Carhartt and ****ies. Then again, Your Methods May Vary accordingly so.

Enjoy!

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really stick to a particular type of pants but generally 'grungy' looking type as I was a former skateboarder, am in the design line and also kinda into underground fashion.

Anyway, back on the topic of knives, Newgraham only accepts Western Union for new international customers, which is a little inconvenient but I can still do it. I'd have to find out the fees and their estimated shipping.

I've looked at ebay and there isn't really a good price on the 556.

On the way, I've kinda changed my mind to getting a couple of 'cheapies' to start off and play with first, and slowly work my way up so I'd know the difference. I have decided for that money, a couple of knives instead of one may give me more 'experience'.

Not that I'm partial to Buck, but they are the cheaper range. I think I'm getting a Buck Iceman and Buck Stealth Mantis :-

Stealth Mantis - http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/502/233
Iceman - http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/508/233

Each around $20-30. I guess they are cheaper cuz of the metal handles?
They don't look half bad for the price. I thought of getting the Stealth Pilot http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/503/233 instead, but I thought 1 big and 1 small knife might be better, so I chose the mantis instead.

I tried to search for more info on the Iceman and Mantis on bladeforums but couldn't find much. Is it cuz they are new?

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice looking knives! Steel is low enough quality to be fine-blanked, accounting partially for the low price. I would not under any circumstances buy a liner lock in this price range (maybe a CRKT with a LAWKS safety), so I'd think twice about the liner lock one. The lockback looks like a cool-looking introduction to low-end folders. Still, for not much more, you could be getting significantly better knives (e.g., at knifecenter, $9 more for a delica 4; $12 more for an endura 4).

Joe

CLHC

Flashaholic
Re: Where to start for a knife newbie?

Okay quick one here for a bit. My BM635BK-501 Skirmish Limited Edition just arrived this afternoon. Fast shipping! They shipped out this past Tuesday and now I got it.

Very NICE looking I must say. Au anodized Ti handles, BenchKote Black Blade. Almost the same length as my MT.QD.Scarab but feels slightly heavier though. VERY smooth to open and close, and I the blade is CENTERED in the handles when closed! NICE NICE NICE! Not bad for $143.00 total with shipping to my doorstep eh? Too bad I can't post any pictures. . .

So, not a bad place "to start for a knife" purchase I would say?

Enjoy!

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast

CHC, do you mean this beauty? :D
benchmade-skirmishBM635BK-501.jpg

She definitely gets my attention too, but a little expensive for now :)

Joe, I noticed you mentioned avoiding the liner locks twice now... I've tried reading up on locks but don't totally understand them. Any comments why the liners aren't recommeded? (at all or for a newbie?) Is it because of safety reasons at this price range?

The one where a 'bar' pushes against the back of an opened blade is a..... linerlock?

Edit : Ok, read up a little on locks and it seems Buck Liner locks have had some problems with several users, although some have reported them to be ok.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic

Hey LEDcandle! Yes that is it! Really liking it!

SJACKAL

Enlightened

LEDcandle said:
Joe, I noticed you mentioned avoiding the liner locks twice now... I've tried reading up on locks but don't totally understand them. Any comments why the liners aren't recommeded? (at all or for a newbie?) Is it because of safety reasons at this price range?
Edit : Ok, read up a little on locks and it seems Buck Liner locks have had some problems with several users, although some have reported them to be ok.

Simply, the liner behind the scales is the lock.

You have to see the knife itself, it does not mean that liner locks are not good. Some liner locks are real thick and locks all the way in with high tension, thus unlikely to slip or fail. A good example is the Al Mar SERE 2000 which has a good liner lock. Some liners are thinner, like the Emerson Commander, though I am too ignorant to know how they work out.

I guess depends on whether if the user abuse a folder.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've used my Stryker in what some might call abusive conditions and have had no liner issues..

CLHC

Flashaholic

No issues with the liners on my BM/Emerson CQC7. Been using it (it is a tool) since 1997/98. Interesting to note also that the newly acquired tool I got (BM635BK-501 Skirmish) has no liner. One side of the handle acts as the blade lock, much like the liner ones. Very interesting. . .

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a first run bm635 that I like very much. The one issue with that knife is the beveled thumb hole. I'm curious if they still bevel it ? The bevel makes it a bit of a pain to open. On my knife I followed a suggestion found here (sorry, I forget who first posted it :ohgeez:) and wrapped thread around the upper portion of the thumb hole and it is quite a bit easier to open.

One knife I'd like to suggest when you want to spend some cash is (surprise) the small sebenza. This is really a great knife but I don't recommend buying a new one because they are too expensive to really use and this knife needs to be used in order to really be appreciated. Look for a knife that's like 90% and you can get a good discount on and then use it like it was meant to be and you will really appreciate how good these knives are.

CLHC

Flashaholic
xochi said:
The one issue. . .is the beveled thumb hole. . .The bevel makes it a bit of a pain to open. On my knife I. . .wrapped thread around the upper portion of the thumb hole and it is quite a bit easier to open.
I was kind of wondering about that myself, thinking is it just my "hands/thumbs?" :thinking: Oh, well, I worked it out though. Thanks for that mentioning that suggestion and to whoever recommended that! :wave:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have that problem with any of my "hole" knives, but it did take a little while to get used to it..

CLHC

Flashaholic
The Spyderco's "hole" is larger than the one on my BM635BK-501, which facilitates in a speedier opening. I've have not experienced any "trying" situations on Spyderco Knives. Thumb disks, such as on Emerson's are really nice, and so are the ones with studs, such as one CRKs are also particularly easy to manipulate.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave: Ledcandle, thanks to this thread ,I told myself that I need a knife too.
This is my very first knife :)

Bought it yesterday at a hunting store for $115.

I hope not to get hooked on knife like I am with flashlights:whistle:
Manage to try out alot of knives at the store, mostly Spyderco.
Next up on my buying list are all spyderco:
Salt 1
Cricket
Ocelot
endura 4
Kris
Paramilitary
ATR
Chinook
and several of those tiny razor sharp Spyderco keychain thingy.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice buy!! You beat me to buying a knife, and a high end one at that! Haha...
Wow, your wishlist is quite impressive (and expensive).

Are you sure you don't want to look around and experience different types/brands of knives? Nothing wrong with getting bitten by the Spyderco bug though as so many have!

Did you buy it in Dubai?
Any S'poreans know any knife stores (pref reasonably priced) besides Sheares?

ghostrider

Enlightened
Congratulation on the Milie GhostReaction. I see you decided to get the teeth. The Military has gained a reputation as one that will last, and serve you well. Let us know how you like it.

Sounds like you've already contracted Spyderbite, and are already on your way to addiction.

I have the Salt I PE and highly reccomend it. It takes an edge easily enough, and has so far served me well.