Where to start for a knife newbie? *some choices made*

SJACKAL

Enlightened
I use more of the lower portion of the knife, because there is more grip control and dexterity. This is only natural. But if there is serations there, I can't do so, they get in the way. And you can't do delicate or precise cutting with serations. Thats why I don't like combo edges.

Another thing is that I felt that 2 inches of serrated edge on a 4 inch folder won't makes much difference about cutting ropes or fabric. A good edge slices thru seatbelts and small ropes all the same.

I look at my bro, a seaman, the ropes he cuts could be as thick as 6 inches diameter, now thats where he needs a fully serrated edge or a saw. He can appreciate a good plain edge for other chores, but wouldn't look at combo edges, not enough for either job. Trying to be both, but neither here nor there.

They are people who felt that serrations for combo edges should be at the top portion of the blade instead of the lower portion, so that it is more functional, but for aestetic and marketing value, they look better at the lower portion and hence were made so, another minus point for combo edges.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Point noted with thanks, SJACKAL.

For full-time tasks of a certain nature, I'm sure a combo will be neither here nor there. Maybe for a general user, it might suffice. If there's space, I guess carrying a couple of different knives would be good.

I'll slowly mess ard with the different knives as I go along (If I indeed do find the opportunities to use the knives), and sooner or later will settle for certain preferences :D

evanlocc

Enlightened
SJACKAL said:
I use more of the lower portion of the knife, because there is more grip control and dexterity. This is only natural. But if there is serations there, I can't do so, they get in the way. And you can't do delicate or precise cutting with serations. ...

Exactly so, i was on combo blade b4 and experience the above mention.

Now i EDC a little 2 inch plain blade, it meet all needs on urban.

Roboholic

Enlightened
Never tried to cut myself ACMarina. haha

What I was trying to was trying to force with a knife is much more dangerous then letting a sharp knife do the work.

CLHC

Flashaholic
For me, it depends on the knife's design. So I'll go either way with CE/PE/SE blades. Right now, well this past week or two, I've been EDC'ing the Leatherman Charge XTi, (154CM blade dulled faster than I thought) and my BM635BK-501. Been leaving the MT.QD Scarabs at home (for obvious reasons) and the Spyderco Dragonfly SS/SE and BM/Emerson CQC7 CE stays on my dresser.

ACMarina said:
. . .have you ever cut yourself with a butter knife?
Uh, no, but did do a stupid thing with it and kind of sort of "electricuted" myself by using a butter knife once! Something to do with the wall socket? :thinking: :huh:

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about for a hawkbill knife? Since the blade curves downwards, you will not be able to use the back part of the knife to cut anything on a flat surface (although of course the back part can be used for freehand cutting/paring). Would having a combo edge on a hawkbill make more sense?

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Yes, on a hawkbill I would probably go full serated or combo edge is nice too. It is after all a seaman's edge mean to cut ropes.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Serated edge on hawkbills are just plain wicked :devil:

Imagine cutting the low ropes at the SOC ground in a blink

ghostrider

Enlightened
Having a combo edge on a knife is another one of those choices that is personal. Some people don't like serrations, while others won't buy a knife that isn't fully serrated. I think what's more important is one's ability to sharpen the knife your using. If you can't keep a knife sharp, then it's useless as a knife and it won't matter if it's serrated or not. Most people (especially new knife users) find serrations more difficult to sharpen than plain edge. The Sharpmaker can make this easier, but it's still a small bit trickery than plain edge.

I EDC a byrd Crossbill CE and it replaced an Endura 3 CE. I prefer the Hawkbill blade style, and also like the CE for EDC. I just spent the weekend helping a friend put up a fence around his yard, and the CE Crossbill was very useful in doing the job. My friend actually commented on how impressed he was with the performance of the knife (he's a non-knife-person, who wishes he could be one). There were times when the plain edge portion was needed, and times when the SE portion was used. It did help that I understood which part of the blade was useful for a specific task.

I do know that both Emerson and MOD make CE model hawkbills, but I don't know if anyone else does. As much as I love my Crossbill, I don't recommend it for someone who has not yet learned how to sharpen a blade. The reason I say this is because they come with an uneven grind, and it needs to be re-beveled to get it sharp. I have an MOD Lady Hawk that came dull, and needs the same treatment as the Crossbill. I can't say about the grind on the Emerson SARK. I can say that the Spyderco hawkbills do come with an excellent grind and are sharp out of the box.

That said, I still think that the Endura 3/4 CE is a better knife for someone who will have just a single knife. While a hawkbill excels at everything it does, it just can't do some things that the Endura can. However, if you have another pocketknife, even a small slipjoint, then a hawkbill is an experience that must be lived.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
GhostReaction said:
Spyderco Civilian look to scary IMO. If you are caught carrying that in Singapore you are in deep trouble.

Get caught carrying any knife without a good reason in a public place here & you are in trouble anyway. :tsk:

This knife is really scary looking! :eek:

tps-tbt.jpg

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, and they have 2 laws to whack you with, both for the same offense but carry different penalties.

Public Order Act whacks you life imprisonment and not less than 6 strokes

Corrosive Substances and Offensive Weapons Act whacks not more than 10yrs jail and 'some' caning.

If the knife you are carrying falls under Scheduled Weapon, max 5 yrs jail with minimum 6 strokes.

All look very harsh, but I think the Scheduled Weapon charge is the best bet. haha... Imagine if die die have to kena one, you keep convincing the court that your knife is scheduled due to the opening style and lock in place :p

Wonder people go hiking/camping/fishing in peace carrying a knife and maybe having a meal in a food court before/after their trip. If kena spot check, die liao; dunno if they believe your story :D

They do say that a weapon carried by police officer is not an offense; if I didn't quit, does that mean I can carry nice knives around? hahaha... (I know they are referring to plainclothes' guns etc... but technically, they didn't say *on-duty* cops, since plainclothes' can bring home guns, so if I was an off-duty cop carrying a Harpy or Civilian, no offence? :laughing: )

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I've always been eyeing that TOPS Tom Brown Tracker Knife!

So I take it it's "illegal" to carry a knife on one's person in Singapore? So if someone wanted to do you a favor and "gift" a knife, it's a No-No eh?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, forgot to mention, that's one mean looking knife :D

CHC, yup, its technically illegal to carry knives or other offensive weapons in public places here, unless for a lawful purpose. But the problem is you might only get a chance to prove your lawful purpose after you've been arrested and locked up for some hours; not a very pleasant experience. (esp not for ex-cops ...haha)

Good thing is, gangsters can't carry knives freely here too; so it's a give and take.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Thanks for that info. Very strict over there. I sure wouldn't want to be locked up or "caned" for anything. Not that I've never been "whacked" or beaten with a baseball bat and baton. I know what that feels like! :huh:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Here's an interesting knife that you may have seen before—Paragon X9 Parabow. It comes with two (2) nylon feathered aluminum shaft steel tipped bolts, compass, folding steel handle lockblade with saw, and a knife mountable sling. It comes with a nylon pouch that looks more like one for a small digital camera or binocular. That way, it'll not look like you're carrying a knife! :huh:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow CHC! Never seen this knife... looks nice and versatile and the whole kit looks interesting. Looks like it doesn't get many results from a search engine.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC said:
I've always been eyeing that TOPS Tom Brown Tracker Knife!

So I take it it's "illegal" to carry a knife on one's person in Singapore? So if someone wanted to do you a favor and "gift" a knife, it's a No-No eh?

Try sending a PM to Traut. I think he may have one to let go. :)

Wow, the Paragon sure looks cool but it's sure to get one in trouble if caught in public with it! :ironic:

Last edited: