Where to start for a knife newbie? *some choices made*

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDcandle said:
Point noted with thanks, SJACKAL.

For full-time tasks of a certain nature, I'm sure a combo will be neither here nor there. Maybe for a general user, it might suffice. If there's space, I guess carrying a couple of different knives would be good.

I'll slowly mess ard with the different knives as I go along (If I indeed do find the opportunities to use the knives), and sooner or later will settle for certain preferences :D

You don't need to carry two knives - just get this one! :D Comes in both red & gray.

Last edited:

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Just carry a Leatherman Wave or Charge, two blades, one plain one serrated, includes a plier plus lotsa tools, and less legal issues!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Just saw the Ken Onion designed Crafsman Work Knife today at OSH. It sure looked nice. It's got a two inch thumb stud opening blade (3 5/8" when closed) made of AUS 8A steel with black Zytel handles and red Krayton inserts. The removable stainless steel clip is in the shape of a combination wrench. Looks like country of origin is Japan for this model.

Other than that, I don't know much about it. But sure was tempted, but exercised self-control.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
My enthusiasm for knife collecting has been dampened by poor first buy experience. My knives are still not here after 2 months!! I bought from flamesnknives (I think they are just flames and hot air).

Comms is really bad and they don't address questions and concerns. They just do one liners (when they do reply at all).

The last I heard, the package was returned to them for some reason (not sure if that's just made up to cover up their own delats). I told them to resend it but no news yet.

They also sell on ebay (which later checks out at their store) and have their own online store, but the prices are different and the shopping carts can't be combined. This is troublesome. I bought stuff off ebay and also some stuff from their store, but since it can't be combined thru the system, I paid full shipping for both sets of items and told them to combine ship and refund.

But no refund, sporadic mail and no knives yet. In the last mail that they told me the knives got returned to them, I told them to forget the shipping refund and just get my knives over to me. I wanna close up this chapter and move ahead. And I'll prob stick to better vendors :p

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDcandle, sorry to hear about your problems. How many knives did you order? What did you ask them to declare the package items as? How was it being sent?

I usually ask them to send by Global Priority Mail & declare as 'pocket tool' & 'gift' & value below US$100 if possible. It's best not to order more than one or two at a time to avoid customs & tax problems.

I've come across flamesnknives before but not bought anything from them I think. Here are a few eBayer's I've had positive transactions with -

go_flojo
knife-princess
namvet71-02
sharpenededgeknives
sunblades
ssknives
cayoodle
ezeedeal
upnorthknives

Disclaimer - Your results may vary of course.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
upnorth I've dealt with too; bought my Gladius from them. Good comms and fast shipping. They didn't have the models I wanted at that time; on and off their goods come and go.

I decided to go 'cheapie' first to start, and ordered a couple of Bucks (Iceman and Stealth Mantis) as shown earlier in this thread. Also bought a cheap United Cutlery knife from them. The cheap knife was from ebay which led me to their online shop where I bought the Bucks.

At first they didn't ship to Singapore (not on their system), and they were kind enough to add it to the list, but did not answer my question about combined shipping. After a couple more emails, they didn't reply so I went ahead and paid for the ebay item + shipping and ordered direct from their store + shipping. Left many notes to tell them to combine and refund me the difference.

But no replies and no word for a month odd... I emailed them every few days, finally someone there said something like "Don't worry, we have not forgotten you and will inform when your order ships"... I was like "Duh?????" after a month odd they still haven't shipped it?

Then later the boss emails with a one liner asking me if I have any idea why the knives were returned to them.

Up till now, I have no idea how they shipped it, when they shipped it, whether they were sent separately or combined and whether I will be getting a refund. All I want now is to get my knives. :p

They have a mix of good and bad reviews on Bladeforums, so I though to give it a shot, since the value was 'reasonable' too. I guess for expensive knives, no way am I gonna risk buying from them.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that. I hate it when sellers don't or are slow to respond to emails. No matter how busy you are you owe it to paying customers to respond in a timely fashion. I guess you better start the official eBay or PayPal process of trying to get a full refund then if they still don't respond to you...

With eBay one is always taking a calculated risk & unfortunately lessons are only learnt the hard way. I know I've been there too.

Last edited:

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
:shakehead: sorry to hear about your first knife purchase didnt go so well.

Maybe you should try Lighthound. I ll guess that the custom in SG are strict and knives purchase will depend on luck.
But anyway the seller shoud have refunded you and not just ignored:thumbsdow:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Wow—Sorry to hear about this LEDcandle. Same sentiments as flashlight and GhostReaction

Hope things work out for you soon enough.

jmccalip

Newly Enlightened
dallara-penknife.jpg

[size=-1]Spyderco D'Allara[/size] rescue. Awseome knife, so SMOOTH, one handed opening/closing. I can open and close it with one hand in 1.5sec, way to go ball lock. Still just a strong as the lockback. And the dropoint blade is cool, it's still got a point but it's angled so it won't hurt you. :grin2:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UEyUp6vMtuM