Which AAA keychain EDC

eternity

Newly Enlightened
I also use a Thrunite Ti. :)

I do not expect my AAA light to throw very far. Remember that in order to throw far, the reflector has to be large and/or deep enough to capture the light from the LED and project it forward. Or it has to have a lens that focuses the beam forward, reducing the spill light. Both add size to the light and most AAA don't bother because that takes away the advantage of keeping them small.

I'm sure someone will be able to point you toward a custom job though. :devil:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most aaa light got the same beampattern. xp-g+tiny reflector. And they mostly got the same max output (the single aaa battery is a bottleneck).
For throw, buy one with a xp-e led. Less lumens than a xp-g light, but it's more throwy with that tiny reflector.

I got all the lights mentioned in this tread so far, and i use the preon p0 or dqg on the keychain. They are far from the best, most rugged, or brightest aaa sized light i got, but size matters on my keychain.

Danielight

Enlightened
Currently, my EDC is the Olight i3 EOS (black aluminum). I also have a Thrunite Ti ("firefly" model), but that sits on my nightstand.

Serenity

Newly Enlightened
I tested a bit for size with a tube of 74x18mm, and I didn't really notice that in my pocket, even though the diameter was quite a bit larger than the AAA flashlights. If it's at the bottom of my pockets, it does stand out though, and the fabric might wear out quickly at the ends because of that. So as the size doesn't seem to be an issue for me, I decided to go with the LD01 R4 (Alu), mainly because I got the impression that it's very reliable, has a bit more output that the other options, and also I could order it at a local web store that has very good reviews.

It should arrive pretty soon, and I'm looking forward to see how it compares to my old maglites. The real test will be to see how it holds up over time, and how much use it will get.

waldo

Newly Enlightened
Small 1xAAA light

Hi, I'm looking for a small, 1xAAA light - small, so I can keep it in my khakis at work and not look absurd.
I guess at least a low and a high mode would be ideal, but beyond that, I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks!

BarryG

Enlightened
Don't forget about the IlluminaTi! Been using mine for a few years now and can say it is a great light.
Beautiful titanium also! My lobster claw has worn the finish off but light still looks like new!

Barry

waldo

Newly Enlightened
OK, I've done some research and narrowed it down to the fenix ld01, the preon p1, the olight i3 or the maratac aaa, leaning towards the preon or the olight. thoughts?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waldo, it seems you're going through a similar diemma as the OP and the OP has picked LD01 eventually, which I heartily agree it's a great choice. I have bought many AAA lights over the years and I always ended up using LD01 as my regular edc, either on the keychain or as my pocket edc. Also, I use protected 10440 exclusively for the extra oomph and LD01 is one of the few AAAs whose length allows protected 10440 (a tad longer than unprotected ones) to fit comfortably.

Preon P1, Olight i3 and Maratac AAA shares similar UI, ie always start on low, then to med to hi. If you always prefer to activate your light at the lowest setting, then any of these choices is good. However, Preon P1 has the added advantage of hidden blinky modes, options to lego and FourSevens lights are backed by reputable customer service.

To add to your confusion, I'd also recommend Thrunite TI. The UI is no brainer and the price is great. The clip is easily solved by getting a P7 Suspension Clip.

AutoTech

Enlightened
Olight i3 has a nice little clip with it. Great little light, also amazing with a 10440 in there! I've got an ITP A3 which is no longer available I understand, think I'm right in saying Olight swallowed up ITP and the i3 is essentially the same light with a few tweaks. I bought my mrs an olight and it's really a good little light, never ceases to amaze me just how bright these little things are even on a AAA. My a3 is always fed with a 10440 and that is crazy bright, a real WOW light. You can impress people with a bright 18650 light but the tiny AAA size lights with a 10440 are the best for blowing minds.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
  • Darryl Young
    hello, new question , will fenix ever make something small like the E05 but in neutral white please?. thanks.

looking for a small keyring like E05 but light has to be neutral white. are you having plans to make something like this. ? thanks

[*=center]Today

• 05:58

Fenix Worldwide
    Darryl, Fenix has no plan on releasing some neutral white keychain flashlights. 'cause it seems that only minority guys are interested with that kinds of flashlights. Once the marketing needs, Fenix would consider it.

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
Not to poach on an old thread, but is the Thrunite Firefly the closest AAA LED available in size/shape to the Maglite Solitaire? I love the size and weight of my Solitaire, but I'd like it more in an LED with 70 OTF lumens....

Last edited:

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
Does the Preon have a lanyard or keyring hole? Whether it does or not, they're a great deal until tomorrow.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
My Preon has a hole (of sorts) on the pocket clip that a keyring could feed through. Lanyard could connect to the keyring.

In my opinion its a little large for a keychain light, and the off-axis hole on the pocket clip would cause it to dangle at an odd angle. You'd also require a twisty tailcap, due to problems related to clicky tailcap on keychain light.

In my opinion, better off going with a Fenix E01 or E05. E01 for runtime and cheaper quality, E05 for brightness and higher quality, less runtime though.

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a cheap $5 "mad dog" AAA flashlight at a local Northern Tool store. The light had a terrible beam and an angry purple tint, but the clip fits my Ti perfectly! I'm going to get rid of the mad dog and put the clip on my Ti once my Skinth shows up. Sometimes you get lucky picking up a cheap light for parts.

Andy13186

Newly Enlightened
Not sure why my posts seem to not exist anymore, but the Maratac AAA is probably by far the best AAA light for the money, especially the new version at 115 lumens on high. I have had the old version one on my keychain for over a year and it functions perfectly and looks almost brand new (electroplated stainless version). I bought my uncle the solid copper version and its amazing, very impressive. I would get the stainless again for myself though since copper does change color and lose its shinyness.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I have a Klarus Mi10 on my keys for a long time now, and it was inexpensive, puts out ~ 80 lumens on high, and has a very low low and a very useful medium. Its VERY abused, and has not had a single problem.

I load in a lithium ion AAA (primary) and it runs freakin forever.

:D

JJohn

Enlightened
I used to edc the Thrunite Ti. I bought two of them because I loved the low level and the user interface. The problem I had was that after a few months of fairly rough use, they become single output lights, IME. The little tab in the head fatigues and eventually becomes less of a spring.

I switched to the DQG and have been very very happy. I have both SS and Ti versions. The small size is great and the beam is a excellent compromise of spot and flood. The preon 0 would be my choice if I wanted pure flood.

jpil

Newly Enlightened
Olight i3 has a nice little clip with it. Great little light, also amazing with a 10440 in there! I've got an ITP A3 which is no longer available I understand, think I'm right in saying Olight swallowed up ITP and the i3 is essentially the same light with a few tweaks. I bought my mrs an olight and it's really a good little light, never ceases to amaze me just how bright these little things are even on a AAA. My a3 is always fed with a 10440 and that is crazy bright, a real WOW light. You can impress people with a bright 18650 light but the tiny AAA size lights with a 10440 are the best for blowing minds.

I agree with AutoTech.

Which 10440 are you use?