Which multi-tool in your BOB.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you, Acid87, for your report.

You say you have "an older straight handle model".

Have they changed their design on these ? ? ?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just a quick update.

While my Gerber 450 is still an excellent light weight multi-tool, I've decided to supplement it with a Wenger EvoGrip 18 model SAK. Although they do share a few of the same tools, having a back-up is a very good idea in case one of them gets lost.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Anybody tried the Victorinox Swiss Tool ? ? ?

Seems to be quite highly regarded.

Of course, it IS expen$ive.
My brother bought one after trying out a wide variety of tools and ended up selling it off because of the weight and size. Liked the tool a lot, but in the end decided that a smaller and simpler one was probably better for him.

Acid87

Enlightened
Burgess said:
Thank you, Acid87, for your report.

You say you have "an older straight handle model".

Have they changed their design on these ? ? ?

I think some of the newer models have a curved handle similar to the Gerber Suspension (correct me if im wrong might be another model). Basically as if someone has pinched the middle in }{ like that.

notrefined

Enlightened
I have a couple swisstools, and they get used occasionally, but I find them too heavy to be more than the occasional backup. Definitely trust it to hold up well and just plain work when it has to, though.

summer

Newly Enlightened
LM Surge for the BOB. It's too big for my everyday needs, but for possible bugging out, it'll do. :)

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I have the big SOG, i prefer it over my leathermans but it is big... great for a bob but too big for edc

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Slazmo

Enlightened
I have the old Supertool 200 in my BOB and the newer Wave (2010) with the black DLC coating with the comprehensive bit kit and extension bit in my BOB Box. Cant hurt to have too many oh and as a EDC I carry my Micra on my car keys.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Update:

Nine months ago, i bought a Leatherman Charge Al (aluminum handles & CM154 knife blade).

This is certainly VERY nice ! :twothumbs

Been EDC-carrying it ever since !

That's something which i only occasionally did with my
previous multitool (Gerber needle-nose, purch. 1998).

Also got the ~3-inch driver extension, and additional Bits.
Only carry about *half* of those Bits, however.

When i need it, my Leatherman Charge works Really Sweet !

CLHC

Flashaholic
This Victorinox SwissTool Spirit Plus for the past six (6) years.

VictorinoxSwissToolSpiritPlus_ii.jpg

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...Leatherman Charge Al (aluminum handles & CM154 knife blade).

This is certainly VERY nice ! :twothumbs

Been EDC-carrying it ever since !

Also got the ~3-inch driver extension, and additional Bits.
Only carry about *half* of those Bits, however.

When i need it, my Leatherman Charge works Really Sweet !
The Charge is even better than the Wave when you add the bits and definitely the extension as well.

I had no interest in the bits when I first got my Charge, but having torx and allen bits on me at all times
has proven so beneficial that I think everyone should make sure to give strong consideration to this
ultimate package.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
When biking, I carry my Leatherman Crunch along with my dedicated bike toolkit. My Juice S2 lives in my hiking pack/survival/BOB.

lifeissomething

Newly Enlightened
Gerber 600 series (?) multitool. One of the first police special ones. I found it on the roof of a house all covered with moss. I soaked it with areokroil overnight and it was pretty much like new. Terrible fit and finish but durable and nice to use. One handed deployment of the pliers. I remember thinking when I was EDCing it that if could deploy the pliers and take on an attacker just with those. It literally rattles in a sheath. Pftw! I replaced the "remgrit" blade with a tungsten carbide jigsaw blade.

I wonder if the pliers will ever break if I actually had to start using it all the time. If I remember correctly, they just sort of float inside the handle, lots of play, but possibly nothing really to make the pliers unusable? I hope we never have to find out? Anybody know about the long-term usability of these things?

txgearnut

Newly Enlightened
Leather man wave with bit kit and extender. It's a small package with lots of goodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC is a Leatherman Wingman. Great for pocket carry w/ the built in clip.

My BOB has a Leatherman Wave. Little more substantial with a few other minor features. Need to get a bit kit...

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
If I HAD a BOB, I can't decide if my Leatherman Charge TTi would feature. I really like it as a bit of kit, although I am on number 3 in 5 years (pliers broke and I got a mysterious chip in the blade on the first one, then the big screwdriver sheared off on the hinge on the second) which makes me question durability, especially for such a high price tag. It's also fairly heavy. Had a very small amount of rust on the Charge after I spent 6 months in the jungle with it.

The Leatherman Squirt PS4 on my keys gets almost daily use, if I was making a 'compact BOB' then I'd probably put one in.