Which RCR123

Jharpphoto

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a jetbeam RRT0 yesterday and want to take advantage of its max lumen rating. Jetbeam suggests using an RCR123 to get the 550 lumens from the light. Which RCR123 would you recommend?

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a jetbeam RRT0 yesterday and want to take advantage of its max lumen rating. Jetbeam suggests using an RCR123 to get the 550 lumens from the light. Which RCR123 would you recommend?

AW RCR123 750 MAH, with built in protection. Best cells around IMO. and a DMM to go with it

I won't buy a unprotected cell, but that's just me.

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
It's actually 550mAh, so RRT0's current draw is over 2C, which is over max. allowed for LiCoO2 chemistry. That's unsafe.

There seems to be some confusion then.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...50-Lumen!-lt&p=2709940&viewfull=1#post2709940

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?144427-NEW-Hi-current-Protected-R123s

it says it's good up to 1.5A 2c,

i can't find the current draw specs but jetbeam says it's compatible with RCR123.

to the OP, I would fine this out before you buy stuff....Shadoww brings up a good point and the data is unclear.

Here is another thread where they discuss this

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?324397-Jetbeam-RRT0-XML

troelskc

Newly Enlightened
It's discussed here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?348058-CR123A-at-2A

As Shadowww says, the actual capacity under a load of 1.8A is ~500 mAH and therefore at a 3+C load. It's not safe. The battery could get hot or "self destruct" I know (and have done the same) some CPF members runs the AW ICR RCR123 as high as 2.8A, but I would reccon an AW IMR for this use. If lucky an IMR will accomplish a bit higher current and a brighter but hotter light.

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
if this is all true (i am not doubting it is) then Jetbeam should have no business listing this as a recommended power source. especially since most people use el cheap rcr123s and not a good AW cell that can keep you out of trouble a bit more

troelskc

Newly Enlightened
if this is all true (i am not doubting it is) then Jetbeam should have no business listing this as a recommended power source. especially since most people use el cheap rcr123s and not a good AW cell that can keep you out of trouble a bit more

Life is not always fair. Good for the battery industry though. :twothumbs

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
Life is not always fair. Good for the battery industry though. :twothumbs

what does fairness have to do with safety? You guys are saying this set-up isn't safe, they (Jetbeam) are saying it is.

no skin off my back as I don't want one of these anyway, I was just trying to give the OP the best information I could

troelskc

Newly Enlightened
The facts are real. So when Jetbeam says it would work, the battery industry will be selling more batteries, which is not fair.

blgentry

Newly Enlightened
I'm confused by the repeated assertions that greater than 1C charge and greater than 2C discharge are "dangerous". Exactly how do you quantify "dangerous"? I ask because the evidence says that people do this all the time with no problems.

Look at HJK's review of the AW16340 protected. He discharges it at 3 Amps, which is almost 6C if you use the 550mAh figure. He then tests the over current circuit at 5 Amps, which is closer to 9C. He didn't mention the battery being hot or exploding.

AW himself says the batteries are good for 1500 mA. He also says 2C, but 1500 mA is 1500 mA. It's not magically 1100 mA. It's 1500. So what's the real number? What is "safe"?

I know safety is a concept that's not black or white. Generally speaking, there is a percentage risk involved in performing a dangerous activity. You'd think the manufacturers could quantify this somehow. I can't seem to find the real spec sheets on the cells that AW's 16340s are made from. But all the other sheets I find from Panasonic don't quantify this.

My gut instinct says that 1C charge and 2C discharge are EXTREMELY safe areas and going slightly over on either one of them probably has a nominal increase in danger. I'd love to hear some discussion on this other than the repeated rule of thumb.

Thanks,

Brian.

troelskc

Newly Enlightened
I'm confused by the repeated assertions that greater than 1C charge and greater than 2C discharge are "dangerous". Exactly how do you quantify "dangerous"? I ask because the evidence says that people do this all the time with no problems.

Look at HJK's review of the AW16340 protected. He discharges it at 3 Amps, which is almost 6C if you use the 550mAh figure. He then tests the over current circuit at 5 Amps, which is closer to 9C. He didn't mention the battery being hot or exploding.

AW himself says the batteries are good for 1500 mA. He also says 2C, but 1500 mA is 1500 mA. It's not magically 1100 mA. It's 1500. So what's the real number? What is "safe"?

I know safety is a concept that's not black or white. Generally speaking, there is a percentage risk involved in performing a dangerous activity. You'd think the manufacturers could quantify this somehow. I can't seem to find the real spec sheets on the cells that AW's 16340s are made from. But all the other sheets I find from Panasonic don't quantify this.

My gut instinct says that 1C charge and 2C discharge are EXTREMELY safe areas and going slightly over on either one of them probably has a nominal increase in danger. I'd love to hear some discussion on this other than the repeated rule of thumb.

Thanks,

Brian.

AW is quality cells and you can discharge them at 3 C (1500 mA) with no problems. It won't explode or vent or anything - just shortens the overall life of the cell.