Which Strider Folder

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
what is the blade thickness on the AR? it is titanium both slabs with a g10 layer?

ken

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oct-1.jpg

SnG.

Aug.jpg

Top to bottom: Delica 3, SnG, Modded AR (scales contoured).

Auga.jpg

Same as above.

Remember the episode from Gilligan's Island where they found some radioactive vegetable seeds and grew 6' carrots? The AR must have been grown on Gilligan's Island too, because its gigantic. It can be carried, but its more of a novelty carry IMO. A serious workhorse, no doubt, but goofy big.

cheers

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have carried the AR for years. I just got an SMF months ago and it is much lighter with the same blade size with the plus of a frame lock. Much preferred for pocket carry. I think that you will be disappointed with the PT. It is too small for average sized hands. Stick with an AR/GB, SnG or SMF. I know the SMF is priced pretty high. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the AR/GB series, they are superb knives. Even used, you will have a great knife. Mick and Duane at Strider will stand behind every piece they make. Whatever you read about the owners, the ethics of the individuals are unmatched when it comes to their products.

paskal

Newly Enlightened
thanks powernoodle and NotRegulated for review on AR. i will try to stick with my decision to grab an AR.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Well, Here is the story on my SMF. When closed, the blade closes half way though the lanyard hole. If you ran a lanyard in the hole, it would be cut by the blade.

I showed it to a Strider rep at a recent knife show and he shrugs his shoulders, and said "we'll fix it, send it in and enclose $15.00 for return shipping." What a joke.

I did not bother to send it in. I will be giving it to someone going to Iraq, with the defect warning.

Frankly, Their knives are all right, nothing special. like my Emerson's better.

And, to top it off, a Strider collector tells me that: "Oh, all of them are like that." I just laughed.

How they could miss this is beyond belief.

Best,

RL

knifebright

Enlightened
ya the laynard whole will cut the lanyard if you put it through both holes. here is the faq on this.

Will the blade on the AR/GB, SMF, or SnG cut my lanyard when closed?
The lanyard should go through only one side of the knife (G10 or Ti), if you tie your lanyard through both holes there is the possibility that you will cut the lanyard.

cy

Flashaholic
just looked and my SMF is also like that. but so what!

until you mentioned this "defect" never knew it was a problem.
yes, I've got a lanyard tied thru one hole. that seems to be the natural way to tie a lanyard to SMF.

smf hole.JPG

RedLed said:
Well, Here is the story on my SMF. When closed, the blade closes half way though the lanyard hole. If you ran a lanyard in the hole, it would be cut by the blade.

I showed it to a Strider rep at a recent knife show and he shrugs his shoulders, and said "we'll fix it, send it in and enclose $15.00 for return shipping." What a joke.

I did not bother to send it in. I will be giving it to someone going to Iraq, with the defect warning.

Frankly, Their knives are all right, nothing special. like my Emerson's better.

And, to top it off, a Strider collector tells me that: "Oh, all of them are like that." I just laughed.

How they could miss this is beyond belief.

Best,

RL

Last edited:

knifebright

Enlightened
Redled
To each his own but I don't think its a defect if all are made that way. If you send it in to the strider spa they will make it do what you want it to do. They'll probably grind the blade down a bit but if you want the labyard to pass through they'l make it happen. Its a love or hate thing with striders. I hated them for years and now I truelly love and appreciate the level of craftsmanhip and materials used. For me it took me a while to get over the crudeness of the finish. I was mortified to see 1000 dollar customs that still have the bar stock grain lines cause striders are not surface finished. Then one day after 6 years of turning my nose up at all my friends striders something just clicked for me and now I love them for the tools they are. That's my story and i'm sticking too it.

Oh ya and to get back on topic grab yourself an AR and an SNG and you'll have all your cutlery needs from opening the mail to prying off your car door.
Jimmy

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
does Mick do the grooving inthe g10 now? I know you used to have to send it off to coogler or one of the other custom guys for that. not to rain on the strider parade as they are great knives, after you hold a coogler A10 in one hand and a strider sng in the other you will just go, "holy crap" that is a knife(coogler). The coogler blade is .220 S30V. As a matter of personal preference i just did not find the striders comfortable in my small hand whereas the coogler is a tad more ergonomic and is comfy. I apologize if mentioning another custom knifemaker is inappropriate in this thread but just felt i had to speak up. i am currently trying to talk my son into giving me his coogler after he gets his sng back from mick. :)

ken

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
bladeDogg, where did you:rant: get that hoslter for your knife?

ken

BladeDogg said:
Here is my GB...gotta love it...contoured scales, RG, and striped blade. :mad:

GBlifter.jpg

GBopen.jpg

mspeterson

Enlightened
Mr. Lifter is also a member here and has been doing work for several folks over at McGizmo's place.....

Hey "RL",
mind telling us who this "Strider Rep" is?
Also , do you mean to tell me that you are "giving" "defective" tools to a soldier headed into harms way?
Did you know that the stop pin only makes contact with the TI slab? It never touches the G10?
Did you "bother" with any form of "due diligence" prior to spending $4-500?

Thanks for the insight!

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
thanks, when i finally get my edc light i am going to try to get him to make me a combined holster.

ken

BladeDogg

Newly Enlightened
mspeterson said:
Hey "RL",
mind telling us who this "Strider Rep" is?
Also , do you mean to tell me that you are "giving" "defective" tools to a soldier headed into harms way?
Did you know that the stop pin only makes contact with the TI slab? It never touches the G10?
Did you "bother" with any form of "due diligence" prior to spending $4-500?

Thanks for the insight!

I am interested in this response too.

cqbdude

Enlightened
I guess all of my SMF's are defective....:laughing:

I dont want them anymore...:grin2:

NOOOOTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

felder

Newly Enlightened
I like the SnG. The AR is a lot of knife. I'm not sure if you've ever held one, but it is surprisingly large. I like the smf too, but I find the SnG's size to be more practical for EDC.