Which Strider Folder

George1

Newly Enlightened
This question has been asked many times before. As many people have already said it all depends on how you plan to carry it, blade style preference, and size preference. You really can't go wrong with any of them and you will probably end up with more than one over time. As a first Strider folder, I would vote for the SnG. It is a good size to EDC in front pants pocket and is built like a tank. It will do anything that you ask of it and it will last many many years.

I would suggest that, if possible, you locate a knife store so that you can compare the different models in person.

cy

Flashaholic
forgot to add.... at first though SMF was way too big. had been EDC small sibbie.

then I got to carrying my SMF clipped to right rear pocket. feels right at home! ti PD clipped to corner of front pocket and SMF clipped to far right R/pocket.

now small sebbie feels like a toy..

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Hey "RL",
mind telling us who this "Strider Rep" is?
Also , do you mean to tell me that you are "giving" "defective" tools to a soldier headed into harms way?
Did you know that the stop pin only makes contact with the TI slab? It never touches the G10?
Did you "bother" with any form of "due diligence" prior to spending $4-500?

MY REPLY

I will be happy to address all of your questions.

I do not know who the Strider Rep. was. This was at the Plaza Cutlery Custom knife Show, this past fall in Huntington Beach, CA. He was the one in charge there that day. Not very nice at all, and a bad customer service Rep for a show.

In regard to my "due diligence," I bought the knife from a dealer and it was sent to me. How on earth can a dealer look over everything in their inventory. I had the knife for a short time, and took it to the show to let Strider take a look at it. The Rep just shrugged, and told me to send it in. And the $15.00 fee? again, what a joke.

I am not their QC.

Would it not be "due diligence" on the part of Strider to manufacture a $4-500 knife that will not cut itself off it's own Lanyard? As for me "giving defective tools to a soldier in harms way?" If you read my original post, I clearly state that I would advise of the defect.

Strider is the one "giving" (selling) thousands of defective knives to servicemen, and LE in harms way without telling them there is a problem with the lanyard hole, not me.

If I give a knife to a combat bound serviceman, it would be someone that I know. Once again, as stated in my original post, I would certainly tell them of the problem, and to just use the clip. I have been giving knives to guy's I know heading to, or better said, back to Iraq. I do it as a good luck gesture, and so they can have an extra tool as well.

My blade goes 1/3 of the way past the opening of the hole. This is just wrong.

I never said that I do not like Strider's

Hope this clears up your questions.

With all best wishes,

RL

Mod: quote function not working.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just think they have a problem with the lanyard hole, and could treat their customers with more respect.

Frankly, I am shocked by what I found out about Mick Strider, It is just awful.

I did not know of any of this, and I am glad you posted the link.

All I wanted to do was advise my technical problem. I have no intention of entering in to discussions of his sordid past.

You know, after learning of this, I may just give all my Strider's away.

I do thank you for the post.

Best,

RL

BladeDogg

Newly Enlightened
People have 2 choices in life. Listen to others or listen to facts. I choose to listen to facts and the WHOLE story. This is a STARK example of why the media has so much power in this world.

Paskal, enjoy your choices and feel free to PM me anytime for more information on Striders.

cqbdude

Enlightened
RedLed said:

RL

Im sure you will not have any problem getting rid of all of your Striders...

Good Luck ...

cy

Flashaholic
I'll take it!

please let me know if your striders need a new home :D

note my pic above showing position of blade tip to lanyard hole with a double loop of para cord clearing blade tip with no problems.

yes if you inserted lanyard across two holes it would cut. but that's the most unnatural position possible to insert lanyard.

seriously... do agree customer service should be a little better.
just had an accident sledding, with SMF clipped to rear pocket as usual.

fell rocketing down an icy run. strider clipped in rear pocket, dug in ice at speed. result was ti clip got mangled. strider knife didn't come open or get hurt. An excellent rugged design!

anyways... sent several emails to strider wanting another clip. after a couple of days. strider responded with a short note to send SMF in and they would replace the clip. no instructions.... nothing else.

send several other emails afterwards for details ... with no response. did find out by reading the unofficial strider faq.

could customer service been better? sure... but strider did respond within two days and offer to fix.

since I didn't want to send in my SMF over a bent clip. took clip off and carefully bent back into original shape. works great!

here's a pic of strider before and after bent clip.

strider smf bent.JPG

strider smf.JPG

RedLed said:
Well, I just think they have a problem with the lanyard hole, and could treat their customers with more respect.

Frankly, I am shocked by what I found out about Mick Strider, It is just awful.

I did not know of any of this, and I am glad you posted the link.

All I wanted to do was advise my technical problem. I have no intention of entering in to discussions of his sordid past.

I do thank you for the post.

Best,

RL

George1

Newly Enlightened
I don't think it is a design flaw at all. I think it might have something to do with the size tradeoff. Other people have said.....

How do I attach my pre-made lanyard on a AR/GB, SMF or SnG?
Take a piece of floss/ fishing line/ single strand of paracord innards, and loop it through the big loop on your pre-made lanyard. Run the thin string through the lanyard hole on your AR/GB, SMF or SnG and pull the loop of your lanyard through. Pull the business end of your lanyard through the loop. It's easier than trying to poke the paracord through.

You need to put the paracord through just one side. Pick one it doesn't really matter. That way, it won't get cut by the blade. Also, try gutted paracord it you can't get it to fit through the holes or you can buy 2mm or 3mm cord from an outdoor gear shop which is a tad bit smaller than paracord.

Hope this helps.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just never seen a lanyard hole do this on any other knife, production or custom. Would you order a custom knife this way.

I 'm sorry, this is just not correct. Even as you tie the laynard on one side, it at some point will touch the blade durring carry.

Respectfully,

RL

cy

Flashaholic
RL, here's a pic of my SMF with doubled layer lanyard on one side. there's plenty of room for blade tip to clear. right handed folks on one side, lefties on other. note where tip extends 1/3 past hole, exactly as RL states.

don't see why anyone would want to use both holes to tie lanyard. you could but it would make for a clumsy result.

this really is a non-issue, functional wise. cosmetic wise, would have to agree. And as most know Strider blades are all about function. As you can see from my pic's, SMF is not babied but used.

as to Mick Strider's personal life... no clue. after skinning two deer (including chopping thru tailbone) and a squirrel, without resharpening, can verify his blades perform!

smf hole.JPG

RedLed said:
I have just never seen a lanyard hole do this on any other knife, production or custom. Would you order a custom knife this way.

I 'm sorry, this is just not correct. Even as you tie the laynard on one side, it at some point will touch the blade durring carry.

Respectfully,

RL

Last edited:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow cy you really put your knife through a lot! of course i do to, my grip gets a lot of abuse, skinning, cuting rope, zip ties, nylon, anything that is everthing. but i do think you have impressed me so much i may get me a strider. do you know how much larger a SMF is than an SNG? is the SMF worht the extra money?

thanks!

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
BladeDogg said:
People have 2 choices in life. Listen to others or listen to facts. I choose to listen to facts and the WHOLE story. This is a STARK example of why the media has so much power in this world.

LOL! If you mean "mindless following" by "listen to facts", and "original Mick Strider quotes" by "listen to others" this might make sense.

People, don't drink the kool-aid!

Read the thread at bladeforums and form your own opinion.

cy

Flashaholic
how's about a few links?

benchmade, no clue about size between SNG and SMF. my comments are only valid for my one SMF.

since I have a tendency to use my EDC. (not that there's anything wrong with having shelf queens) it's going to get scratched up, beat up. So much prefer purchasing a used blade. that way no pain of first scratches. And price in most instances is lower too.

DocArnie said:
LOL! If you mean "mindless following" by "listen to facts", and "original Mick Strider quotes" by "listen to others" this might make sense.

People, don't drink the kool-aid!

Read the thread at bladeforums and form your own opinion.

Last edited:

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453852
It's not just rumors, but open questions, backed up with hard facts. (Strider quotes and documents) Mick Strider has an account at bladeforums but doesn't want to post there, for reasons unknown. You can make a search there and see the whole history.
Everyone can say what he thinks, unlike the places where Mick Strider posts. (I've been banned from a certain green forum for asking the simple question if the letter to Chris Osman is real or not at bladeforums)
There are lots of links. Noone forces you to believe anything. You can read the accusations and make up your own mind.

knifebright

Enlightened
I've heard stories about striders customer service as well. Just for a positive note 8 days ago i followed the instructions and sent my sng in to strider with no previous comunication just a note about it not locking up tight enought for me and 15 dollars. exactly 8 days later (including weekends) it was back with me tight as a bank vault. Sure they have a few qirky customer servive things they just wont do. but what they will do they do very well and fast.
jimmy

cy

Flashaholic
docarnie, just folowed your link... good grief, what a mess!!!

lonepiper

Newly Enlightened
Hey Redled...if you are giving away your striders, send me a PM. I'll take free Striders any day of the week!

I own about 15 Striders of all shapes and sizes. Recently took a SmF, GB and RCC with me on a trip to Iraq and haven't had a single problem with any of the Striders I've had now. Been a strider owner since 2004 and love'em. Also had an EB-S on my tactical tailor MAV and an EBT on my safariland holster. I have yet to find a knife that I like better.

Everyone has different tastes, likes, beliefs in what a person's past means to their future. Personally, I love Strider knives and I've literally trusted my life to them since '04.

As for favorites, the GB is still my hands down favorite Strider folder followed closely by the SmF!