Who Carries a Whistle EDC??

Monocrom

Flashaholic

its very much like the Atwood whistle, except the Atwood has a derlin insert and this one is all Ti. also, i got the "shorty" version so its shorter, although still very very loud. extremely light and durable, i love it! wykeites on edcforum but kinda hard to get a hold of...

also got the same but in silver aluminum too as a backup.

Thanks for the pic, and the description. :)

liquidsunshine

Newly Enlightened
Hi Russtang, hi everyone!

I was looking for a nice and useful Ti Whistle for a long time myself, very hard to come by, and it was never really exactly what I wanted, even though there are some rare very nice ones out there. So I started looking at this from a different perspective...

...let me just say: There may be something coming up, something VERY nice! I'm currently evaluating a very exciting titanium whistle project, with an initial batch size of app. 50 pieces in the first run. Some things about that whistle will probably be a bit of a surprise for many people.

Unfortunately it's not going to be cheap, but for me personally, it's more than worth it!

Timing: Hard to say at this point, if all works out, possibly as early as September, but could also be a few months later.

When the time comes, I'd certainly appreciate some input from you and anyone else about what you guys would want - MAYBE even to the point of custom design of the outer visible shape.

I was planning to be more active about that in EDCF, but since you asked in CPF, I'll make sure people here hear about it as well when it's time.

So much for now. Will keep CPF and EDCF posted!

Cheers,

Matthias

Patriot

Flashaholic
These look like you might be able to carry some spare CR123 batteries in the storage compartment. It looks similar to the waterproof match case (plus the whistle and compass).

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=RR001

I had a couple of those over the years and they're pretty finicky. The compass bearing usually breaks first, then the flint comes off, then the cap seal drys and splits. The whistle isn't all that loud either. I'm done with them.

I purchased a pair of Storm whistles, one for me, one for the GF and they work really well. Her son was at camp blowing on it once and I could hear that thing a long way across a dried lake, even with some wind involved. The distance was about 500-600 yards. On a cool, still winter morning I'll be that thing would be audible at nearly a mile.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a stainless steel Atwood whistle on my keys. I also EDC an orange Fox40 whistle. I have 3 titanium Atwood whistles as well, but I do not carry them.

Hey Soup, if you ever find one of these surplus to requirements give me hollar. I've been on the look out for a while:grin2:.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old plastic Fox 40 whistle on my keychain. Definitely an esential. Also in my bug out gear I have a flat plastic rescue whistle. Can't remember where its from offhand and I don't feel like unpacking then redoing my carefully compressed packing job for that kit right now.
I do find the flat whistle easier to stick away than the standard design. I'd love to get a robust Ti whistle or three.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fox 40 is louder but I just got a couple of Fox 40 Micro whistles. Small enough to EDC on the key chain but still pretty loud.

It is kind of like swatting flies with a sledge hammer with regards to "meetings etiquette," but I have threatened to use one during a meeting to bring attention back to the matter at hand, and usually once is enough :eek: -- word gets around and for the next few meetings or training sessions all I have to do is reach for my key chain and all is calm again.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Turn of the century whistle.

I'd love to get my hands on a vintage (or even replica) police whistle from England.... around the turn of the last century.

Can't compete with a Fox 40, but should be quite loud, and I love the look.

Anyone possibly have an idea where I could find one?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep i carry one
i carry a SS one that i got for about $2 in noumea when i was on holidays
i also have a similar aluminium one that i bought in a local store, but i dont carry it since i got the SS one

it lives on my "gadgetring" kinda like a keyring, but for gadgets
contains my whistle, SAK, Fenix P1CE, screwdriver key thingys

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
Re: Turn of the century whistle.

I keep a Storm Whistle in my Maxbag.

I'd love to get my hands on a vintage (or even replica) police whistle from England....Anyone possibly have an idea where I could find one?

http://garrettwade.com has exactly what you're looking for.

A product search for "whistle" will take you right to it.

The brass Metropolitan Police Whistle is currently on sale for 13.95

They also sell some excellent Froe knives!

:twothumbs

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've gota cheapie aluminum one in the wallet. I've also got a Fox40 on a lanyard attached to my driver's seatbelt in my truck. I've been looking for a small diameter Ti one like the one in HoopleHead's picture to add to my neck chain carry. But no luck so far. Although I did find that I can use the bottom of my neck chain cash capsule as a fairly effective whistle by blowing across the open end.

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
I've got an Atwood (stainless with 'straight knurl') clipped to my MaxP Jumbo EDC bag and a Storm in a pocket of my BOB (in the trunk of my car).

I'm covered :eek:

american lockpicker

Enlightened

I keep a Storm Whistle in my Maxbag.

http://garrettwade.com has exactly what you're looking for.

A product search for "whistle" will take you right to it.

The brass Metropolitan Police Whistle is currently on sale for 13.95

They also sell some excellent Froe knives!

:twothumbs

I found one at a local pawn shop that sales police/security gear for $7.

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened

I'd love to get my hands on a vintage (or even replica) police whistle from England.... around the turn of the last century.....

I got mine from The Music House:
http://www.musichouseshop.com/store/Whistles.htm

but if you use Google's product search for:
Acme Metropolitan police whistle
I'm sure you'll find many suppliers. (Even more in the UK.)