Who makes the highest lumen flashlight that takes AA rechargeable (eneloops)

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like many 1x18650 lights, the reason the EA4 can only manage short bursts of bright light is thermal rather than battery limitations. A light such as the EA4 can't possibly draw more than three amps (probably less, since it uses four cells). And this is well within the realm of what an Eneloop can produce on a continuous basis. Larger lights like the EA8 and TK41 have both greater thermal mass and more surface area through which to dissipate heat. So they can run at their highest setting until the batteries are drained.

No, not only thermal, though that is also an issue. Cell efficiency is lowered at high current draw due to higher internal losses.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, not only thermal, though that is also an issue. Cell efficiency is lowered at high current draw due to higher internal losses.

Cell efficiency IS reduced at higher current draws. This manifests itself both in the form of lower terminal voltage (due to internal resistance) and reduced capacity (especially with alkalines). But unless we are drawing current from the battery at such a rate that it is drained in two minutes (an A123 LiFePO4 18650 can actually do this!) OR that the battery becomes dangerously hot at a given discharge rate, there's no reason why you can't discharge a battery continuously at a given current level. For instance, high on an EA4 may draw close to 3A from an Eneloop. But an Eneloop is perfectly capable of sustaining a continuous 3A draw until drained.

averagejoeamerican

Newly Enlightened
WOW great responses. Sorry I didnt know to tell you guys how many cells. I am new here lol.

The eneloop power pack Im planning on buying comes with 12 AA's and 4 AAA's so I guess I would be happy with a 4 cell light for general purpose around the house in a power outage or some other emergency at night. I just didnt want to pick a less powerful light when I could have gotten a more powerful light at the same price even if I dont really need it to be.

I wouldnt mind buying another tactical style light with some throw. I play in the desert from time to time (in Vegas) so distance would be nice. I already have a Streamlight ProTac HL 600 lumens and a Zebra Light SC600 MKII so I guess I dont really need another light but they are CR123 and 18650 only. So it would be nice to have a thrower that uses the eneloops.

It looks like I may have already have the answers in the posts above. Just have to research the suggestions and compare.

Again, thanks alot guys. You folks are the bees knees. I am so glad I joined this forum. My wallet fears for its life though lol.

Last edited:

Quality

Newly Enlightened
Alright averagejoe I got you. The light you want is the Sunwayman D40A. IMO it is the best and brightest example of what you are looking for based on your post.

Best part about it is, It has everything you said you wanted in one light(but don't let that stop you from buying more :devil:).

-Compact 4xAA form factor
-Excellent brightness and efficiency
-Surprising class leading throw

It's actually not even that expensive either, especially considering the quality you're getting. Check out selfbuilt's review for more info.

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Alright averagejoe I got you. The light you want is the Sunwayman D40A. IMO it is the best and brightest example of what you are looking for based on your post.

Best part about it is, It has everything you said you wanted in one light(but don't let that stop you from buying more :devil:).

-Compact 4xAA form factor
-Excellent brightness and efficiency
-Surprising class leading throw

It's actually not even that expensive either, especially considering the quality you're getting. Check out selfbuilt's review for more info.

I have two of the d40a's ... neutral and warm. I really like these lights.

I'm swimming in Eneloops, love the AA form factor, the light is very bright, small-ish and very reasonable priced.

I picked up mine from doingoutdoor when it was on sale for the month of Aug for 54 bucks(?) iirc ..... I just noticed that they have the Nitecore ea8 and ea8w on sale for 73 bucks right now. That's a pretty good price, included shipping and taxes all in.