Why AW cells?

357mag1

Enlightened
The neutral warm Tac 123x2 is my main house light.

FYI it is best to run an AW 17670 protected (same physical size as two123's) in the x2 and P3D. Two primaries can be a little mismatched in voltage. With Li-Ions you generally want to avoid using multiple cells in one light. The disparity in current discharge can cause problems. Added benefit one 17670 is cheaper than 2 RCR123's. IMHO two 17670's and two 123's would set you up nicely. You really have to have an extended use session to deplete a 17670. Having six primaries for back-up's on hand would complete your power needs.

The above is definitely an option but be aware 4Sevens tells me the Quark 123x2 will not stay in regulation using a single 17670. Tailcap current on my samples measures 920ma for the 17670 and about 450ma for the AW RCR123s meaning runtime difference would be negligible.

My PD30 and several 123x2 Quarks are a very tight fit with the 17670 AW protected batteries. You have to press them in and then take the light apart at the head to press them back out. On several they will not go in without removing the sticker on the battery and are still very tight.

Using the longer batteries would require you to step up to the WF-139 for about $5 more. You would need aluminum spacers to be able to charge RCR123 batteries in the WF-139 which Lighthound sells for $1.99 each.

pobox1475

Enlightened
several 123x2 Quarks are a very tight fit with the 17670 AW protected batteries. You have to press them in and then take the light apart at the head to press them back out. On several they will not go in without removing the sticker on the battery and are still very tight.
I got my 17670 (black with silver label) from 4Sevens at the same time as my x2 and the cell slides in and out effortlessly. I have been under the impression that the 17670 cells were designed to be used in 2 x CR123 lights.

lovenhim

Enlightened
Hey man, everything I told you, I gleaned/learned from this forum. Just passing along the good advice I received as the new guy a few years ago.

Now, as for that next light, are sure you don't REALLY don't want a Ra Clicky instead? :)

The RA I just put together on their site was $150, for that money I can get 2 Quarks and a lot of batteries. LOL :)

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with pobox, I use primaries as back ups and follow his rechargable logic for my EDC lights. Very sound advice! As for primaries themselves, sicne I only use them for emergencies and a back-up supply, I tend to stick to known brands: Battery Station, Surefire, Duracell, Sony, I hear the 4 Sevens brand is very good as well. I've nevewr had a name brand fail me, but have had cheap no-name buck-a-piece batteries self dishcharge and even leak a browm gooey substance. Ligth any battery, rechargable or not, only buy what you will use! 2 rechargables; one main and one spare and rotate them. That, and maybe 5-10 primary 123's at most. Otherwise, you will just have money sitting there going bad on you. I learend this the hard way. Less is more.

I will attest to the CR123A made overseas! Junk they are and counterfeits they maybe. Was at a friends house and found 2 boxes of 50 CR123 cells. They were not past their "expiration date" but after opening the boxes, sure enough a bunch were leaking something gooey or acidic. As for the charge, of the 100 tested, about half were dead, around 30 had a 20% charge and whatever was left had 40% charge. :sick2:

pobox1475

Enlightened
wish I could afford one, looks like a sweet light. People seem to love them.
Totally agree. I have been checking them out for past few years and built one with online configuration a few times. Can't seem to swallow the two to three times price over current possessed light that shine just fine. One day though... :santa: maybe???

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the same reason why Bloomingdale over K mart.

Darvis

Enlightened
LOL! I'm ashamed to say how many Ra's I now own, But I will say this... If you get caught up in this flashaholics game, you will eventually buy one and then wonder why you didn't just bite the bullet early on... But that's neither here nor there.

For your quark lights. If you already have a quark 123 single cell, just buy the 2x123 body for 20 bucks or so and then run the light on a 17670. It will stay in regulation that way and you'll get much longer runtime than the 2x123 configuration with no appreciable output loss. Just don't ever stick 2 cells in there by accident, or you will get the blessed POOF!!!! I think this is better than spriging for two seperate lights that are essentially the same light anyway. I have about 6 Quarks and have lego'd them in all kinds of configurations, but now they are packed away for good. The pre-flash just drove me insane.

357mag1

Enlightened
I got my 17670 (black with silver label) from 4Sevens at the same time as my x2 and the cell slides in and out effortlessly. I have been under the impression that the 17670 cells were designed to be used in 2 x CR123 lights.

I have a Quark 123x2 that also takes 17670 cells with no problem but from experience not all 123x2 bodies do. I bought several of the Turbo AA models and extra 123x2 bodies so I can run them with either AAs or 17670 cells. Remember the bodies were made for 123 cells which are not quite as fat as 17670 cells.

Last edited:

lovenhim

Enlightened
I am not so much into the flashaholics thing because i do not need 20 lights. I am trying to build my ultimate system for me, what is best for how I use multi tools, SAKs, and lights. I pretty much vae my nice multi tool, the SOG Powerlock, and one of my dream SAKs which is the Victorinox Deluxe Tinker. I am trying to do the same with my lights, thus all this figuring out if I am better with primaries or rechargeables. :)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am not so much into the flashaholics thing because i do not need 20 lights. I am trying to build my ultimate system for me, what is best for how I use multi tools, SAKs, and lights. I pretty much vae my nice multi tool, the SOG Powerlock, and one of my dream SAKs which is the Victorinox Deluxe Tinker. I am trying to do the same with my lights, thus all this figuring out if I am better with primaries or rechargeables. :)

You are searching around for info also, right? We can give you some info, but there is a wealth of it available in various threads and posts here. Do not just depend on one thread for your answers.

Bill

Darvis

Enlightened
We're with ya, and I think we (correction, I'm the guilty one here) may have moved off topic a bit!!! I think you have what you need to know in order to make your rechargable vs primaries decision... good luck with your next purchase and enjoy your lights!!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] thus all this figuring out if I am better with primaries or rechargeables. :)
Heck, I've been registered here for close to three years now, and I've still got configs that move between primaries or rechargeables. There is no real answer, and even what works for you now may change as your tastes and needs change. Just read and experiment - what works 'on paper' may be different than what works in the field.

You are searching around for info also, right? We can give you some info, but there is a wealth of it available in various threads and posts here. Do not just depend on one thread for your answers.
What this guy said.

lovenhim

Enlightened
I have what I need now, thank you for all the help. :) This is a great forum.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW cells are great for multi-cell lites where 'protected' cells are essential.

In single-cell lites, they are not necessary and are (1) more complicated with the protection circuit, which can fail and (2) have less capacity.

In 1x18650 format, I run Panasonic 2900 mAh cells and am very pleased with them. High capacity and more reliable. I see they came out with 3100 mAh cells, will try that soon. Basically as it drops to around 3V, you can really visually see that it's much dimmer. I never over-discharge the cells but swap them long before the danger zone. Cannot do that with 2x18650.

With 18500 cells, AW cells are even lower capacity at 1500 mAh, which plain doesn't make any sense as they have 2,000 mAh 18500 cells out already. So AW is really lagging behind but I am not sure if it's due to the protection circuit taking up the extra space.

So two 18500 have the capacity of one 18650 cell which is just very slightly longer... doesn't make sense. Yes, it makes it brighter but you get much better runtime on 1x18650. AW needs to revise his cells, especially 18500 to stay competitive.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hello lovenhim,

It would seem to me, that the best brands of CR123s are about as safe or less safe than the worse li-ion cells available. Just seems to be the case based on the type and quantities of failures resulting in a bang/fire/etc I've seen shared on CPF over the years.

Eric

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello lovenhim,
It would seem to me, that the best brands of CR123s are about as safe or less safe than the worse li-ion cells available. Just seems to be the case based on the type and quantities of failures resulting in a bang/fire/etc I've seen shared on CPF over the years.

Agreed.

I have always felt safer with Li-Ion cells than primaries, particularly in multi cell lights. Lithium primary cells contain actual lithium metal in their construction, whereas Li-Ion cells do not. This fact increases the chances and the severity, of a "vent with flame" incident when cells are abused. Also, keep in mind that while lithium primary cells have a considerably higher capacity, which is desirable, they also have proportionately that much more "fuel" to provide during an "incident".

Dave

Last edited: