Why do companies still manufacture incandescent flashlights?

SemiMan

Banned
Why would you think that? Just because the sun is technically @ 5000k tint doesn't mean that an led shows color the same way. Sunlight is full spectrum. Most led's only cover a very short part of that spectrum. This is why most emitters in the 5000k range make things look ghostly, flat, and distort colors.

Sort of light how Incans make everything look dirty even if they have rich blue and blue green hues?

Some LEDs have a much wider color gamut than any incan, some are worse. Exceptions do not prove the rule and vice versa.

chewy78

Enlightened
i do have some of each and like them equally for different purposes

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ this.

I just said earlier flashlights are like screw drivers.
Differing ones fill differing uses.

And like the all-in-one screwdriver some can fill several needs.

To me the LED is like a flat head where close is enough.
The incan is like a phillips where right size gives best results.
At least that's the way my bifocal wearing eyes see it.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sort of light how Incans make everything look dirty even if they have rich blue and blue green hues?

Some LEDs have a much wider color gamut than any incan, some are worse. Exceptions do not prove the rule and vice versa.

Matter of perspective. If you're used to looking at everything in a blue tint it will look normal and an incan will look yellow. Use an incan long enough and it will look perfectly white while the led now looks purple.

SemiMan

Banned
Matter of perspective. If you're used to looking at everything in a blue tint it will look normal and an incan will look yellow. Use an incan long enough and it will look perfectly white while the led now looks purple.

Actually it's a matter of science. The incan will always look a bit yellow and the cool blue led always blue no matter how long of adaption. Only 4000k looks white perceptively after adaption.

No matter how long the adaption, rich blues and light blues and blue greens are going to look "muddy" under incan, just like deep reds are washed out under low CRI LED.

Color gamut is the range of colors you can resolve. Incan has good gamut but poor towards blue. A 4000-4500K led can be made with a much wider gamut than incan which makes it better general purpose if you carry just one. Similarly there are ones that are really not distinguishable from incan.

Posted by really crappy Tapatalk app that is questionable wrt respect of personal data.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose it depends on the light. I have a Streamlight Incan that is an ugly yellow. I also have a Surefire 9P w/ P91 that is at least 4K in tint. Maybe higher. It's very white.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Is there a difference in color between gas filled bulbs and the old edison type?

I ask because I turned on an old filament type and it sure didn't look all that warm to me.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
<=3500K.

A 4000K unfiltered incan will have an exceedingly short life.

It's running completely within it's specs of 9 volts. (2 Li-ion 18500's at 8.4 volts in an Oveready host with a zero resistance tailcap)

My most used light is a Quark with a hi cri xpg at 3750k (from a limited run a few years ago) and the P91 is very much noticeably whiter than it. If they could make an led with the same color temp and cri as that P91 all other led's would be obsolete and out of business forever. It is a thing of exquisite beauty.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Why do companies still manufacture incans?

Same reason Am radio is still alive...there's still demand.

Due to pure economics and low cost manufacturing the $2 Dorcy and Energizer are now LED.
Yet folks at Streamlight, Pelican and Maglite still see enough sales to keep producing lights with filament bulbs.

I work in a 1 horse town where the local Wal Mart is so small it doesn't have bicycles.
Yet in the sporting goods section there are 2 rows for incan mini mags with one row for LED.
Same for the 2D Mag.
And whenever I decide to add another incan to the collection there are fewer incans left, while the number of LED lights is still about the same.

Another small town Wal Mart closer to my home has the same scenario.

For many, regardless of what science says or some statistics on a flat piece of paper...many folks prefer the nice 'fire on a stick' glow of the incan bulb.

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
Due to pure economics and low cost manufacturing the $2 Dorcy and Energizer are now LED.
Yet folks at Streamlight, Pelican and Maglite still see enough sales to keep producing lights with filament bulbs.

Well, at least in regards to the Maglites - most people probably don't know any better.. And they may even be thinking "how do I replace the bulb on an LED? -- I don't see any bulbs in stock for it!?!". :shakehead :ohgeez:

As an aside: Regarding the $2 1-AAA Dorcy LED's -- I still keep a few of them stored away.. For when very long runtimes might be required, like during a power outage.

Last edited:

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
led are not all that, sometime they really suck ****

Yeah, like one LED I had that was a yellow ~2700k temperature. Yuck!
Most of the time, incans really suck ****. :p

That's what I now think of incans after having discovered whiter LED's and daylight CFL's. Incans just look so dingy and dirty to me now, like when I was still smoking - how the walls would look. Of course I could still see a use for mood settings, and in fact Golden Hour is the best time for photography.

And this is the very reason behind white balance settings in cameras - and why I shoot photos in raw, where temperature and tint don't get 'baked in' as with jpegs.. You can set any temperature and tint after the fact in your raw processor of choice, such as Lightroom, without any degradation to the image. Jpegs will suffer if you try altering that after-the-fact because a color gamut (such as sRGB, or AdobeRGB) has already been assigned to the pixels.

However, regarding what SemiMan said::
"The incan will always look a bit yellow and the cool blue led always blue no matter how long of adaption. Only 4000k looks white perceptively after adaption."

I think average incan joe's will not really notice that - it will truly seem 'white' to them. I think the people that will always notice the differences are those that have seen alternate temperature lighting.. Such as those that are into photography. We're more 'trained' to recognize the differences in color temperatures and tints (yes, they are separate terms).

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The sun is an incan. Man has been trying to duplicate it ever since.

Speaking as an average incan joe, we fully realize there's a tint. We just prefer that over blue, pink, green and gray as so called correct led tints largely get further away from a natural look while attempting to get closer.

Unless they have understood the great parts of analog the true beauty of digital will not be achievable.

Unless there is a mass of conflicting light tints in a given situation I can dial my camera to get the white balance correct so there's no need to waste time looking at a computer screen to tweak photos one at a time, hoping my monitor is calibrated correctly to my printer.
Being a fan of Pentax, but Nikon user, to me the Pentax does it better. The Nikon errs on the side of bright without help. I still ocasionally use a Pentax and Canon film camera. But my DSLR's are all Nikon.

Again, that knowledge was obtained by understanding the potential of the analog camera (mainly Pentax) before going digital. Same goes for incan vs LED which can be viewed as the digital of flashlights.
The LED are getting better....but still have a long way to go in terms of pleasing to the eye to the incan crowd.

I own a bunch of LED lights. I tolerate most and enjoy a few.
I enjoy all of my incan lights. But when I need a light akin to my automobiles head light the LED gets the nod....for now.

Why "for now?"
Because: CPF

Last edited:

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
The first part of what I said was meant in jest..
But I wouldn't refer to anyone posting on CPF as 'average joe' light users. We're all a special kind of crazy bunch. ;)

Last edited:

rabbiporkchop

Newly Enlightened
I have no idea but currently with my work I am selling a Li-On powered combi drill with twin 18v batteries on a January offer and it also comes with a free torch that uses one of the batteries and that is a bulb type rather than Led.
What country is the drill manufactured in?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Why does Kellogs still make Corn Flakes? Or Quaker make oatmeal?
Why does Timex still make analog watches? Or Longines make analog wall clocks?
Why does Converse still make Chuck Taylors? Or Vans make slip ons?
Why does Zippo still make fluid lighters? Or Coleman make propane lanterns?
Why does Kodak still make film? Or Maxell still make blank cassette tapes?

Same reason flashlight makers still make incandecent lights...
So that threads like this can be hatched on those archaic chat boards called forums.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze135

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, I didn't realize that high end incandescent flashlights were a thing until I started reading this subforum a few days ago. I had assumed that everyone had converted to LED, since they are brighter, more efficient, and have a longer life.

After reading through this thread, I now realize that incandescent lights still have their place. Thanks for enlightening me. That being said, I'll stick to LED the vast majority of the time for my uses.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to the site coolbreeze.

Recently I read a story about a world famous flashlight designer walking outside his office at night to let off some steam and check out a nearby herb garden. Now keep in mind this guy can have any tint of LED he wants, either by buying it or inventing it.

He reportedly carried his favorite incan light he invented some time ago ago because it was just what the doctor ordered for taking in that tranquil setting after sunset.