Why do you buy?

lightboy

Newly Enlightened
Just curious.. Do you guys/gals buy your flashlights because of their looks, cool factor, candlepower/lumens/power, size, brand, cost or a mixture? I personally buy due to looks, power, size and cost. I did start thinking, however, since flashlights have progressed (with better price tags) would you buy lights such as a Surefire E1e when there are brighter, cheaper and just as rugged lights available? I'm not trying to start any wars, since my first REAL lights were Surefires (6P & G2) and I love them.. it's just that since I've gotten a few Fenixes, I don't have any bulbs/lamps to replace, I get more lumens and I save a bit of dough, all while still getting a pocketable good looking light. Any thoughts? (Don't hate me, please, I LOVE ALL LIGHTS!)

benighted

Enlightened
Another reason to buy a Surfire other than ruggedness and brightness is the hassle free warranty. If anything ever breaks just give them a call and they'll fix it for free

mikehill

Enlightened
This thread will be better if makes are not mentioned :crackup: I buy for brightness, size, a few different levels and ruggedness. Currently 3 different makes satisfy in one way or another :thumbsup:

lightboy

Newly Enlightened
True, about the makes... wasn't trying to single out any companies, sorry..:(

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm open to pretty much any single cell (CR123 or AA), multi level light. Brightness, runtime, aesthetics, UI's and cost all come in to play.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be cheap from DX/KD and strike my fancy (MTE/Saik AA lights)

It could be a reliable, bright light, (Pelican 7060)

It could be parts for a project that I want to build. (P60 dropin spotlight, SSC Mags)

It could be a reliable, long-runtime workhorse backup light (possibly a Cree E2L)

I like common cells, I don't need multi modes.

Germ

Enlightened
I buy for looks, value, ruggedness, reputation, upgradeability, useability, and features. I'm always trying to fill a niche and looking for the "perfect" light. I am trying to hold back and not buy every light I see though. What would be perfect? Maybe a 500 lumen SureFire Kroma. Of course, that wouldn't be a perfect EDC. That might be a 200 lumen max Fenix L0D or an affordable Titan. Then you need the perfect headlamp...

I find it hard to buy an ugly light. Being on CPF has given me high standards. I want lights I'd be proud to show a fellow CPF member.

Last edited:

Rob187

Enlightened
That's a really good question. It's definitely not need.

Mostly I buy lights because they take my fancy. I accumulating a variety of lights so I have something in each category. The categories are not formally defined but some for example are, a single cell of each size, then 2 cells of each size, LED, multi mode, etc.

I don't really have a cohensive plan, just buying as I go.

In particular I like design and innovation in lights.

Scorpionboy

Newly Enlightened
I kinda buy for no reason in particular except I know the value of a good flashlight. Especially when you need one.

I kind of figure over time my collection(I don't plan on collecting tons and tons) will grow to a decent size(after the two lights I have now, I'm kind of covered in terms of needing another one, so the ones I buy now here and there are just for play.)

Also, my step-father is in the military so when he's sent back over to do another tour in iraq(still not sure if he'll be sent back over.) I want to be able to give him a light from surefire to take over there instead of his 6p, to give it a real feild test =p

Steven

fishx65

Enlightened
I try to purchase lights I will actually use for the many activities I enjoy. Hunting, fishing, hiking, snowmobiling and so on. No shelf Queens in this stable! I will now only purchase or mod a light if it's a vast improvement over what I now have. The old ones are given to family and friends.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a bunch of Maglites. I upgraded two with the Maglite LED module, and two with Malkoff dropins. I kept one old 4D stock for comparison. Rather than mess with 2 mini-mags, I picked up a L1Tv2r80 and a L2D100. I've got a Petzl headlamp too for work intensive stuff. Mainly I was just upgrading my old lights to the current technology.

Would like to buy a L2Tv2 with a forward clicky and a top of the line LED, but Fenix is being silly.