Why on earth do I love batteries...

regor_nono

Newly Enlightened
I just started using rechargeables since last month, and started reading posts in CPF just the beginning of this month, almost all about batteries. CPF influenced me in investing for a decent charger (MH-C808M) and LSD batteries (eneloopes, ecomax). I have a headlight that I bought for around $5 (around 200 philippine pesos), for use in my camping excursions. Before I was very reluctant in using it, since I only have AAA alkalines to power it. Now, I'm finding myself illuminating my keyboard in a dark room using the headlight. It's more liberating now, powering up my son's toys and the karaoke microphone and more other machines. It (using rechargeables) also created a hobby for me, refreshing my cells once a month and having them tracked through a spreadsheet. I'm also beginning to think that I can develop an application to track my cells and their history. Now that's something to think about! Hmmm....

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeables just makes the user play with there lights and toys more......when the cells have no more energy just stick that sucker on the charger and be done with it. Where are you in PI.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i really dont know where that is at.....i was born in Olongapo, Subic Bay.....but raised in the U.S.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came here looking for a decent flashlight on the recommendation from another forum, and I did get one that I am very happy with. But for some very strange reason, the section I read the most is this battery section!

Since coming here, I've only bought three lights (only one niche one) - a quark mini AA, lowes black friday 3D Mag and taskforce.

On the other hand, I can't stop buying batteries. I bought AW 14500's, 40 Energizer Ultimate Lithiums, 16 AA Eneloops, 8 AAA eneloops, and tons of random alkaline primaries. I even bought a Pila IBC, Maha C9000, Sanyo MQN06U. I bought Deal Extreme portable battery holders, and a tacklebox for storing them in my room. I have dedicated storage bins in my car, bedroom, and office.

I find the science behind each different type of chemistry fascinating, and have spent hours learning all about them. At first, I tricked myself into thinking that "I was just doing it to be prepared in case of emergency", but I'm pretty sure that I passed that point when I started buying Ultimate Lithiums in bulk. Finally, I told myself that I was going to stop, but I caught myself browsing the AW battery thread, lusting after 18650's even though I have no 18650 lights :oops:

What's wrong with me?

Sounds perfectly normal to me . :shrug:

DC is the way to go!

Also... it's better to be looking at them than for them!

Rexlion

Enlightened
That's why I got the MH-C808M. I can do 8 cells in 2 hours, tops, AA or AAA.

I'm in Dasmarinas, Cavite, and I work in Makati.
South of Manila. Nice to know you, po. I had the pleasure of speaking at a couple of pastors' conferences and churches a decade ago in Balanga, Olongapo, and Baguio. Met some really nice people, and Baguio was quite scenic.

I have thought hard about a C808M, but can't bring myself to spend that much. Got a C9000 recently instead. It will just have to do. :whistle:

This forum has been bad for me batterywise. I used to be perfectly happy with NiMHs. Now it's LSD NiMH, Li-Ion, LiFePO4... and I'm being tempted by those young, sultry NiZn cells. :huh: (I hope my wife doesn't find me out.)

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might as well get another C9000, to make sure that all your cells are good to go, im planning on getting a third since my nimh fetish seems to be getting bigger. NiZn are the only cells that i havent tried out yet....dont know if i plan to either.

regor_nono

Newly Enlightened
...when we have brownouts thats when all the lights come out....

It is common place here in our country, especially during storms. There was one storm that hit us, almost all the power in all cities went out for over a week. The only place where we have power is in our office buildings, where generators provide power. It makes you appreciate you have your batteries with you. Back then I haven't switched to rechargeables yet, wished I did. :shrug:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should man......reusable power is good. The last time i was in PI i was 13 and i loved it. Where i live, my neighborhood are always getting brownouts.....could be a mild storm and the power goes out for like 3 hours, which sucks when its cold out. When the noreaster hit us we lost power for 3 days.....my wife was so happy that i collect lights and batts.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I call myself a chargeaholic since I have so many rechargeable cells now.

164 NiMh cells (AA/AAA/C/D)
10 Li-Ion (16340/17670/18650)

I need to get some more NiMh C & D cells.

Last edited:

Rexlion

Enlightened
I call myself a chargeaholic since I have so many rechargeable cells now.

164 NiMh cells (AA/AAA/C/D)
10 Li-Ion (16340/17670/18650)

I need to get some more NiMh C & D cells.
Will you be charging the purchase to your Visa or MC? :grin2: That will make you a double chargeaholic!

L84CABO

Newly Enlightened
Rehab is for quitters. You have a battery monkey on your back. Don't fight it...just go with it!

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
I came here looking for a decent flashlight on the recommendation from another forum, and I did get one that I am very happy with. But for some very strange reason, the section I read the most is this battery section!

Since coming here, I've only bought three lights (only one niche one) - a quark mini AA, lowes black friday 3D Mag and taskforce.

On the other hand, I can't stop buying batteries. I bought AW 14500's, 40 Energizer Ultimate Lithiums, 16 AA Eneloops, 8 AAA eneloops, and tons of random alkaline primaries. I even bought a Pila IBC, Maha C9000, Sanyo MQN06U. I bought Deal Extreme portable battery holders, and a tacklebox for storing them in my room. I have dedicated storage bins in my car, bedroom, and office.

I find the science behind each different type of chemistry fascinating, and have spent hours learning all about them. At first, I tricked myself into thinking that "I was just doing it to be prepared in case of emergency", but I'm pretty sure that I passed that point when I started buying Ultimate Lithiums in bulk. Finally, I told myself that I was going to stop, but I caught myself browsing the AW battery thread, lusting after 18650's even though I have no 18650 lights :oops:

What's wrong with me?

Can't stop? I guess it's time to join Silverfox's Batteries Anonymous club. One free drained to 1v cell on joining. :broke::sick::mecry: