will mobile phone flashlight apps stop the need to edc a flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

passive101

Enlightened
It would be to hard for me to ID a target in the dark and shoot at the same time. Also the shape isn't good and don't think it will withstand the concussion and vibration.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Everyone's right that a smartphone is a jack of all trades and master of none, but they usually work well enough at most to be really useful. I can have games, movies, songs, GPS, shopping lists, a camera, etc. right at my fingertips in a package the size of a deck of playing cards. No way could I carry all of that gear all of the time. But as a flashlight, well, like I said earlier, it's a backup to my backup EDC.

There's another problem when using the camera flash as a flashlight, on some apps the screen shines back at you and blinds you. I have an app on my iPhone 4 called Vintage Flashlight. It's designed to have the look and feel of an old Ray-O-Vac incan (well, as much as possible). When you open the app, the flash turns on immediately and the screen is dimmed. If you want to turn the flash off without closing the app, you flick the switch on the Ray-O-Vac and it turns the flash off and brightens the screen. And the best thing is that it's free.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone's right that a smartphone is a jack of all trades and master of none, but they usually work well enough at most to be really useful. I can have games, movies, songs, GPS, shopping lists, a camera, etc. right at my fingertips in a package the size of a deck of playing cards. No way could I carry all of that gear all of the time. But as a flashlight, well, like I said earlier, it's a backup to my backup EDC.

[...]

I agree, but did you need all that before it existed? I still don't, but I am hardcore... I prefer to get by with my memory, a knife and a compass. The flashlight just keeps me going in the dark since someone cut all the sap trees down.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, somehow I got along without it for 50+ years, but I'm spoiled now!

I know the feeling. I used to do fine with 0 flashlights and now I have 2-3 and even 4+ just about anywhere I go. The worst part is that other than work, at home just before bedtime or camping, I don't even use them but feel very naked without them. That's why I'm staying away from all those intelligent phones.

OCD

Enlightened
I have an app on my iPhone 4 called Vintage Flashlight. It's designed to have the look and feel of an old Ray-O-Vac incan (well, as much as possible). When you open the app, the flash turns on immediately and the screen is dimmed. If you want to turn the flash off without closing the app, you flick the switch on the Ray-O-Vac and it turns the flash off and brightens the screen. And the best thing is that it's free.

My Droid came with equipped with a flashlight app that when opened, looks like a Maglite. When you press the button on the light it turns on the flash in low. Press it again it turns it on high. In the app's menu, you can select "auto flash" or "SOS" modes.

My wife uses it when I go to bed before her to navigate through the dark house. I never use mine....I use one of my MANY flashlights...usually my HDS on low mode.

As previously stated....it's a backup to my backup for my EDC.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a flashlight app on my Bold 9780. Say what you will about Blackberry falling behind the curve but they do offer great battery life and can defnitely survive a tumble. The LED flash has enough output (I'd estimate 15 lumens or so), very floody so in other words nearly perfect for up close work or looking for something that has fallen on the ground. Of course if I want something for any real distance or need something more practical to hold and work with I'd go with my EDC Preon 2 or Quark AA-T but in a pinch it's great. Many people carry a smartphone already so it certainly doesn't hurt to have another backup option.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
some day, when we have pico projectors built into every phone, the flashlight app will be more useable. Heck, longest throwing flashlight record might end up going to a cell phone. Right now, I think it is just a convenience. Let's be honest, we're all light nerds, or at least, part of us all is. Some non-flashaholics probably wouldn't think it all that important to even carry a flashlight around, or even in the car. These people also probably don't realize that flashlights can be had for $5 that outperform their phone flash.

Ishango

Enlightened
my phone was made to be a phone, you can't tell a donkey to enter a horse race can you?
It will never ever replace my haiku, mule and HDS EDCs :nana:

This just made me smile :) This mule of yours is definitely a race horse :)

OT: I EDC my iPhone (without a flashlight app), but it will never replace my keychain light or EDC light. As others said, in any emergency I rather not use the phone's battery for light as I always carry several lights. I would use my phone what is was meant for, as a communication device and maybe (careful to not drain the battery) use its' GPS if needed/possible to get a position and direction, but not for anything else.

Edit: I just remembered my work phone (Nokia 1650, not a smartphone) has a LED built in as flashlight. That light actually is quite usable, although I still prefer my keychain/ EDC light for all lighting matters. With the long battery life of the Nokia I would be able to use it if all else fails.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
The telecom companies want us to use our phones for everything. I refuse. I will carry a flashlight even if my phone were somehow brighter and longer-running, because using one device for too many purposes is putting my eggs in one basket. Better hope the basket never slips and falls.

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
People walking on a trail with their phone in front of them is almost embarrassing to look at. Phones are not ergonomic enough for me to try to use as an edc light. So, nope.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
People walking on a trail with their phone in front of them is almost embarrassing to look at. Phones are not ergonomic enough for me to try to use as an edc light. So, nope.

Not just embarassing. Imagine they have to call 911 after they drained the battery...

fishndad

Enlightened
The telecom companies want us to use our phones for everything. I refuse. I will carry a flashlight even if my phone were somehow brighter and longer-running, because using one device for too many purposes is putting my eggs in one basket. Better hope the basket never slips and falls.

Thats It in a NUTSHELL !
Phone , Leatherman , and Flashlight three eggs three baskets

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
My take on the advantages/disadvantages of the phone as EDC light:

Advantages:
- If you have the smart phone, you are probably carrying it around anyway.
On Android at least you could roll your own flashlight app for the UI of your choosing. Other smart phones have more control of the app process without rooting.

Neutral:
- bright enough for most people's EDC with a floody beam reasonably suited to a lot of EDC needs. Everyone's needs are different though so the beam may be either considered an advantage or disadvantage depending on their typical "every day."
- may vary based on EDC style but my phone is usually far less convenient/timely to pull out, make light, and go away than my EDC clipped to my pocket

Disadvantages:
- Relatively fragile compared to most lights
- No nearly as water resistant as most lights
- Spare batteries for when you are using it a lot becomes relatively costly... if they are even swappable.
- Horrible ergonomics for anything more than brief use.
- Minimal to nonexistent heatsinking. They are driven very mildly but the LED flash at best is dumping most of it's heat inside the expensive phone or just stewing in it causing early output degradation. Anybody want to bet the app makers tested the heat management for a longer run?

There's the other piece which is my light can be with me when I leave my phones. (Sadly yes it's plural, my issue Blackberry and my not that smart feature phone. To save someone the effort, I can't use a private smart phone to access the Exchange server for my official email. Putting my entire personal life through the government account is not something I am authorized or wanting to do. It's two tethers. ) I know to some the concept of not having it within arms reach produces cold sweats. :p I don't take the phones when I run. I've been known to leave them charging when I head to meetings where I can't look at them anyway. Some places phones aren't allowed. Dark happens whether I have the phone or not.

fyrstormer

Banned
Just make sure to bring a solar charger for it.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
my motorola droid has 2 neutral-white emitters driven fairly well by software called TeslaLED. get pretty warm in a few minutes

but they're still too weak compared my carry flashlights... and too fussy to turn on: turn on fone, unlock, goto home, click app

vincent3664

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm almost embarrassed to say, "I don't even own a cellphone, let alone a smart phone". However I do own numerous flashlights, multitools, knives and guns. Not one of them charges a monthly or per minute fee. And I get along just fine. I never understood why some people feel it's necessary to stay in touch with others 24/7. It's actually become a hazard with some people driving, jogging and walking with a cell phone in their ear all the time. I guess I'm just old school.

Illum

Flashaholic
Seriously though, most people here have a dedicated light (or three) for good reasons. Having a cell phone that can light up is more likely to help people who wouldn't think to have a flashlight at the ready in the first place.
thats what loaner lights are for :grin2:
At least carry one extra... in case it runs away or taken hostage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts