Will the real Olight please stand-up!

amham

Newly Enlightened
I have seen three entities for Olight" Olightworld (China), OlightUSA, and Olight-USA. Can anyone shed light on this manufacturer and their legitimate distributors? Have there been any reported/known cases of "knock-offs" or counterfeits?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope your kidding ^

Olight-usa.com is a dealer.

Olightusa.com is Olights United States website.

Olightworld.com is Olights China website.

There are multiple dealers, Olight-usa.com is just dedicated to one.

You'll notice that 4sevens (a dealer with their own brand) also owns fenix-store.com. It's just a dedicated website to one brand.

amham

Newly Enlightened
No, I'm not kidding but thank you for the response.

Olight-USA bills themselves as "the premiere North American distributor for Olight technology". This would tend to suggest they have the exclusive NA rights to Olight in the US and Canada and then all other dealers would purchase "official" inventory from them. They also state they are the "exclusive New England distributor", whatever that is.

OlightWorld's website looks like the legitimate Chinese manufacturer...but that could easily be spoofed.

OlightUSA's "about us" description also reads as if they are the original manufacturer or US representative/branch...read it.

Thanks for your info.

Up All Night

Enlightened
The Fenix-store was sold by 4sevens last year. Olights are available on the original 4sevens site.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm convinced that there's about 2 chinese companies making all the various "brands" of lights. They're all the same.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm convinced that there's about 2 chinese companies making all the various "brands" of lights. They're all the same.

Your probably right. A few millimeters in size difference and different threads are all that keep some brands of lights from being leggoed together.
Lately there all side switch models.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
All 3 are legit - it's a bit complex but here's the simplified version.

Olightworld is the factory in China.

Distribution rights in the USA have changed hands several times which is why you find these 2 companies; both of whom have held exclusive US distribution rights with Olight.

Currently Olight-USA has national (not exclusive) distribution rights and I believe OlightUSA also has national distribution rights currently (they changed hands early this year).

There are not '2 chinese companies making all of the various "brands"' but some are contract manufactured or have components manufactured in the same fabrication facilities and then are assembled/packaged/marketed by the manufacturer of record.
Employees have moved between the various companies quite a bit over the years and they're also hyper-competetive so when one of the more innovative companies comes out with something new you can be sure someone else will be following soon. Of course they all using the same LED's and a flashlight only really has a few major 'parts' (LED/reflector/switch(es)/battery tube/batteries) so most of the variation will be found in design details, fit/finish and UI.

Full disclosure:
I'm the President of Shore Power of which Olight-USA is a subsidiary.
I'm also an owner of BatteryJunction.com.
Olight asked me to jump in and clear this up. :)

Last edited:

amham

Newly Enlightened
MattK

Thank you for the clarification. Seems the world of Chinese flashlight manufacturers/distributors is a moving target. I've heard there is similar movement among other distributors. BTW, The Marauder X6 is in need of a 12V DC direct connector (car adapter/charger and/or direct 12V connect via the special screw connector) to an external suitable battery. I've heard differing reports that it may be on it's way but nothing has surfaced. Can you clarify? Thanks