Worlds brightest Bicycle light - 1400 lumens

rooster cockburn

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone made a homebrew LED setup that rivals these?

Close, but not sure how close. I make lamps and sell these on eBay. The lamp I use is fitted with a Philips Master Line ES MR 16. I run this on 15.6v NiMh pack. Light output is fantastic, but I can't compare it against anything. Rough calculation says it puts out over 100w equivalent light.:twothumbs

By the way, anyone know where I can get teh best LED MR16s for may lamps?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Halogen-B...ryZ22689QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cy

Flashaholic
you should post details here... loads of cpf's are bikers

Close, but not sure how close. I make lamps and sell these on eBay. The lamp I use is fitted with a Philips Master Line ES MR 16. I run this on 15.6v NiMh pack. Light output is fantastic, but I can't compare it against anything. Rough calculation says it puts out over 100w equivalent light.:twothumbs

By the way, anyone know where I can get teh best LED MR16s for may lamps?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Halogen-B...ryZ22689QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

zcream

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of modding a cree-based headlamp or bikelight for use as a on-camera light for videography..
Any suggestions which one to use ?
It just has to have a spotlight feature..

ktronik

Enlightened
My 'ugga' 6 Pack would be close to 1400lm.... 6 cree Q5's driven @ 1.2A each from the maxflex...

K

cy

Flashaholic
that's going take some doing... getting LED lights to equal output of the two HID lights I ride with.

HID storm and ARC HID ... one handlebar, other on helmet

I've also got an old Cateye stadium HID... it's much brighter than two mentioned. Cateye is a first gen with it's batteries close to dead. it was too bright to use for most rides. too easy to blind cars. runtime was never too great even when batteries was fresh.

now it's not a big deal getting 4+ hours from a smaller pack. 8+ hours on 8x 18650 pack

Last edited:

JB01245

Newly Enlightened
Originally Posted by znomit
Has anyone made a homebrew LED setup that rivals these?
Originally posted by StevelKnievel
I think I might...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=188209

OK, deal me in!

The_Troll_2.jpg

the_Troll_3.jpg

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of the scope mounts, I'd never thought of that one before, bravo!

I'm been impressed by many of the quality lights guys on this forum are making! I'd be embarrassed if I showed you the MTB light systems I used to make. :(

I still can't understand why the unenlightened still spend £400/$800+ on systems that can be beaten by rigs that cost a fraction of that. Oh well thats the misfortune of being unenlightened I suppose... :shakehead ...Not good.

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
OK, deal me in!

The_Troll_2.jpg

the_Troll_3.jpg

Where did you get that large nut thing under the light? Also can you remove the rifle scope mount and show how you mounted the light to it? Did you have to mill a 'dove tail' into the light? Is the light run off those 3.6-9v regulators x 3 (with 2 x LED's wired in series for each reg then the regs wired in parallel?) ?

Nice.. a black coating of paint would make it more :naughty::sick2::twothumbs.

BTW where did you buy those lenses from? What are the degree on the lenses? URL's? measurement specs?

Thanks.

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened
We need to be more specific and use the term "production" light.

I'm rocking custom 6400 lumen primaries and there are primary light systems out there that dummy mine by thousands of lumens. Just like there's always a faster car, there's always someone brighter when going custom.

JB01245

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Zero_Enigma
Where did you get that large nut thing under the light?
Waterproof cable gland from BatterySpace.com - http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3227

Is the light run off those 3.6-9v regulators x 3 (with 2 x LED's wired in series for each reg then the regs wired in parallel?
Yes, that is it exactly.

Nice.. a black coating of paint would make it more :naughty::sick2::twothumbs
Dark Bronze Anodized Aluminum - better heat disapaction! Paint would actually hold the heat in.

Reflectors I am getting from a friend. No idea of the specs. Silver plated. Really nice beam

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
Waterproof cable gland from BatterySpace.com - http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3227

Yes, that is it exactly.

Dark Bronze Anodized Aluminum - better heat disapaction! Paint would actually hold the heat in.

Reflectors I am getting from a friend. No idea of the specs. Silver plated. Really nice beam

Ahh... I'm going to have to find those gland cable things locally or somewhere else. I just put 2 x gland cable nuts and that waterproof switch and comes to $18.93 USD. I'm in Canada (Toronto) and BS wants fricking $41.xx USD cheapest via UPS no cheaper option to ship me 3 parts. Total is ~$60 something. :faint::green::sick: Can you measure the parts for me when you have a chance and give a comparison to oh..I don't know the size of a penny? IMHO that is just beyond rip off shipping price. That's just skinning the buttocks and the curlies as well :mad::hairpull:.

Actually it was the screen monitor here and the background lighting (sunlight cast on the screen) that made me think the light was still silver then. I didn't see that it was already tinted till the sun was down. How much does it cost to do the anidozing (sp) ? Where does one go for such a thing?

Well your friend much have specs some where as they have to come from a supplier :thinking:. See if you can ask about the degrees, specs, and measurements.

StevelKnievel

Newly Enlightened
We need to be more specific and use the term "production" light.

I'm rocking custom 6400 lumen primaries and there are primary light systems out there that dummy mine by thousands of lumens. Just like there's always a faster car, there's always someone brighter when going custom.

The Lupine Betty or the Trail Tech MR-16 HID are the brightest current "production" bike lights as far as I know.

What are primaries? I'd love to see 6400 lumen from a bike light with a reasonable size and weight...:rock: Show us what you got!!!