Worlds brightest Bicycle light - 1400 lumens

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
The Lupine Betty or the Trail Tech MR-16 HID are the brightest current "production" bike lights as far as I know.

What are primaries? I'd love to see 6400 lumen from a bike light with a reasonable size and weight...:rock: Show us what you got!!!

If that is a 6400lm LED I should would like to know WTFF you're driving that and what the battery and weight is. :faint::bow::eek:oo::eek:.

I was thinking HIDs originally.

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened
What are primaries? I'd love to see 6400 lumen from a bike light with a reasonable size and weight...:rock: Show us what you got!!!

Primaries... as in the bank of lights/single light that comprise one's primary mode of lighting. For those who race at night, you are discouraged from getting out there without at least two redundant "systems" because blacking out down a high speed run could be a wee bit spleen rupturing. The further one is away from 0 lumens, the more debilitating the blinding effect or so it seems. ;)

Anyway, if you guys have an account on mtbr.com, check it out.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=319560

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
Primaries... as in the bank of lights/single light that comprise one's primary mode of lighting. For those who race at night, you are discouraged from getting out there without at least two redundant "systems" because blacking out down a high speed run could be a wee bit spleen rupturing. The further one is away from 0 lumens, the more debilitating the blinding effect or so it seems. ;)

Anyway, if you guys have an account on mtbr.com, check it out.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=319560

OMG!! IT -IS- YOU. How can I forget. That was the uber craziest (yet nice looking, DAMN nice looking IMHO) lighting I've seen. You know it's crazy bright if you can show a beamshot during the daytime. SAAAAWWWHHEEEAATTT!!!!! :bow::bow::bow::grouphug::rock:

StevelKnievel

Newly Enlightened
Freaking awesome, totally over the top, and beautifully executed! Good motivation to not go over the bars:poof:! I do a lot of endurance racing too and even my modest 2500ish lumen total is enough to make other racers pull over when you roll up behind them. Your setup looks like it could melt rear tires and riding shorts!

Sweet bike BTW...My fiancee and I just got '07 S-Works Enduros (old style frame) for each other as wedding presents!

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened
Sweet bike BTW...My fiancee and I just got '07 S-Works Enduros (old style frame) for each other as wedding presents!

Sweet bikes! I think those are the 06 Enduros you are talking about though as Spesh only made Enduro SL's in 07. The burlier "freeride" capable 6" ones were 05-06 only.

I have two other Speshes... an 07 Enduro SL Expert and an 07 Epic Carbon Marathon (the one with the wicked naked carbon weave). This light system is getting retrofitted onto the Marathon as we speak. I'm retiring the 04 Epic in those mtbr pix.
ohgeez.gif

... and I imagine you think I'm a Spesh fanboi but I'm really not.
sssh.gif

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
Mud: Thinking of making a few similar units to your unit or heck the same unit for sale? Something that crazy bright commands a level of respect on the roads and I think more cars would be going 'holy.. -beep-' when they can't wash out your lights and when your lights wash thiers out. No more getting buzzed while riding.

Tho thte downside is the run time. That would be a in the city bike for my usage.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone should make a bike light with 3 or 4 P7 SSCs and use a copper heat pipe to pull the heat away from the LEDs. A bike light does not have as many size restrictions like a flashlight.

mudmojo

Newly Enlightened
Mud: Thinking of making a few similar units to your unit or heck the same unit for sale? Something that crazy bright commands a level of respect on the roads and I think more cars would be going 'holy.. -beep-' when they can't wash out your lights and when your lights wash thiers out. No more getting buzzed while riding.

Tho thte downside is the run time. That would be a in the city bike for my usage.

Without manhours (planning, foam mockups, implementation) involved, this light cost well over $1000CAD to put together. The lights, capsules, ballasts cost about $800 alone. The battery about $250. The carbon cloth about $200. Epoxy, wiring, relays, connectors, aluminium, switches, shipping, customs fees, duties, brokerage fees and let's not forget wasted material... it all adds up.

I do have news for you though and you may not realize it but it is only 6400 lumens total from a reflector based system spreading light everywhere... meaning that a projector equipped car easily outshines this system where they shine light.

That being said, it is still very bright when not being compared against car lights or in otherwise dark settings.

This system cannot be used on the road. It is very offensive in public. I've had random people threaten me with harm unless I turned the light off... you know, the same people who walk on bike only paths. One security guard drew her club and looked as if she were going to try to beat me off my bike.
mpr.gif

All this in parks and public places where no cars were actually running.

It does come in handy when abusive power is necessary like in the seconds before actually being hit by cars turning left because they ignore my secondaries. I treat them like primary momentaries then.

With great power comes great responsibility and methinks the general populace is not ready, if only for the safety concerns alone. It rained a bit during a 24hr race and I was caught in it and was a bit ill at ease. Ask anyone about Gen3's and they'll tell you that they are not exactly waterproof. Splashproof at best.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you have more light output on a bicycle than [US] cars had 30 years ago, it is time that someone makes a bicycle headlight, not just these bicycle flashlights.

Ideally a projector assembly with a flat cutoff, put light to the ground instead of people's eyes.
But if someone makes a complex reflector that doesn't put light above the horizontal, that would be okay.

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
Without manhours (planning, foam mockups, implementation) involved, this light cost well over $1000CAD to put together. The lights, capsules, ballasts cost about $800 alone. The battery about $250. The carbon cloth about $200. Epoxy, wiring, relays, connectors, aluminium, switches, shipping, customs fees, duties, brokerage fees and let's not forget wasted material... it all adds up.

I do have news for you though and you may not realize it but it is only 6400 lumens total from a reflector based system spreading light everywhere... meaning that a projector equipped car easily outshines this system where they shine light.

That being said, it is still very bright when not being compared against car lights or in otherwise dark settings.

This system cannot be used on the road. It is very offensive in public. I've had random people threaten me with harm unless I turned the light off... you know, the same people who walk on bike only paths. One security guard drew her club and looked as if she were going to try to beat me off my bike.
mpr.gif

All this in parks and public places where no cars were actually running.

It does come in handy when abusive power is necessary like in the seconds before actually being hit by cars turning left because they ignore my secondaries. I treat them like primary momentaries then.

With great power comes great responsibility and methinks the general populace is not ready, if only for the safety concerns alone. It rained a bit during a 24hr race and I was caught in it and was a bit ill at ease. Ask anyone about Gen3's and they'll tell you that they are not exactly waterproof. Splashproof at best.

Yup. Spiderman said it best. I just realized your location is in Toronto. Saawheat. Where was that day time photo taken? I definately have to see this in person for the 'full effect'. :) Daamn..

MostI'm making right now is LED systems based off Allen's design if/when I can get all the parts in to build another one. My next one will be a more powerful one similar to what JB has but becauseI ride the roads I am planning on working some side visibility. I think I need to invite you north of the city to my area. We need a rider with lighting like you up here. Ride for a week here and I'm sure more cars would back off on the riders around here. :D

willymcd

Newly Enlightened