Worst Light You've Ever Owned

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Maglites. Practically all of the ones I've had had a defect or bad design decision behind them. They may be fine when you get them off-the-shelf, but if you live not in the US and have to import them and pay out the butt for it... :barf: Hurts double because until that point I was a big fan thanks to my uncle, who has had an incan 2D for pretty much 40 years!

- Silver 3D came DOA - trashed
- Silver 2AA Minimag worked for about a week, then just freaking died - tried to open it up many times with no success, then trashed
- Black 2AAA Minimag had absolutely no regulation, burned excessively bright for like 2 minutes and dropped quickly to 'unusably dim' - ditched it in the drawers of the counter at work, whoever wanted it could nab it, "bye have a great time" from me
- Black 3D had atrocious blue-purple tint and the usual hideous reflector woes, plus three alkaleak D cells actually costs way more than it should over here - gave it to my uncle when he had a tiny plot of land out in the boonies
- camo 2AA Minimag had bad violet tint, painfully visible PWM, and the ultra-stiff tailcap spring dented my Eneloops! My brother has it as a house light now, no big loss if alkaleaks kill it

Thank god I had the sense to buy the Fenix E01 instead of the Solitaire, or I'd have wasted even more dosh. After this, I got a Thrunite and finally learned to be selective about my brands.

Faaaaaar behind in second place was a Convoy S2 I got in like 2015, back in the dark ages of 3/5 firmware with ON-time memory. I had a C8 that I could live with having that driver, but the S2, an EDC light that I did and do use mostly in short flashes, the next-mode memory and off-flash when the mode got memorized got on my nerves right quick. Left it in the "flashlight stuff" bucket until I tried Biscotti on another Convoy (an M1) and just fell in love. One driver swap later and that S2 is still one of my fav lights today, old XM-L2 emitter and all.

Lemurian

Newly Enlightened
I had one Nitecore break in a drawer, the other in a glove box (after about a year of not much use at all). These were bought around 2015, so hopefully they've improved. The batteries were shite as far as holding their charge. This was really noticeable compared to other battery brands. It all went to the electronics section of the dump. Garbage. Lesson learned.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Photon freedom micro. Ive had 2 where the switch was erratic after changing the batteries. Total junk. Ended up tossing them.
I've got one that I bought about 20 years ago. Easily my most reliable keychain light. Wondering now if the company is cutting corners today.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
My "worst light" were my four Gatlights. Looked pretty cool but the switch was total crap and stopped workin on every single one of mine.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My "worst light" were my four Gatlights. Looked pretty cool but the switch was total crap and stopped workin on every single one of mine.
Sorry to hear that. I know those things weren't cheap.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I've got one that I bought about 20 years ago. Easily my most reliable keychain light. Wondering now if the company is cutting corners today.

Not sure what was wrong with them. I love the idea of a ramping keychain light thats made in the usa. Too bad it didnt work out.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought an Energizer 2AA penlight in the 90's, one of those with the plastic barrel and twist on/off tailcap.
At one point maybe I tightened the tailcap too much or not enough, it shorted and burned my fingers.

strideredc

Enlightened
I had a gatlight back in the day... Never had an issue. I would never of brought it but got it in a trade. I never saw the point of those custom build lights in a very rapidly changing market at the time. Give me a p60 and then the new one when it gets 100% brighter.... Gatlight was sold within a month

Worst lights? I have had a few... Probably anything that took 3*AAA, nasty ;)

strideredc

Enlightened
The one I wish I never sold was a mini Mac with the 10w solarc? And 3* rcr123 :( but you wouldn't be able to get spares now anyway....HID anyday over LED :)

strideredc

Enlightened
Me too, not been used much but still going strong... Are they still going???

Charlie Hustle

Newly Enlightened
Every light I have ever purchased by Haikelight. What's sad is two of their lights would easily be on my top ten list of favorite lights of all time if their quality control was improved.

Sabrewulf

Newly Enlightened
Olight m2r.

No tailstand, side switch activates in my pocket, and suddenly stopped working and olight refuses to address the issue.

mickb

Enlightened
at the time, a armytek wizard headlamp, only because it wasnt what I needed and I didnt understand lights back then. Saw 1000 lumens on the packet or whatever it was, assumed that meant 5x the range of my previous most powerful light a 200 lumen led lenser.😂 was soon educated on candela and throw by the knowledgeable folks here and sold off the light to a better home.

Last edited:

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
I've been given several of those single AA "tactical" lights with the focusable beam…blech! Low light, crap switches, the focus feature is ridiculous and I've never had one for more than a couple of weeks without them self destructing.