Would You still Buy an Arc AAA Today?

ragweed

Enlightened
Since I have used Arc AAA & Fenix E01 for a few years or more, I have to say you are wrong! They are both Bombproof & both are well made IMO. It just depends on which one you want & I got both..!

fyrstormer

Banned
ARC !!!!!!!!!!! MUCH BETTER QUALITY THAN FENIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fenix is :sick2: compared to arc
Nowadays, I don't think that's the case. Arc's quality has gone steadily downhill over the past few years. My favorite 1xAAA lights nowadays are the Fenix E05 and the McGizmo Sapphire 25. I have plans to buy more of each. The fact that the Sapphire 25 is modifiable makes it even better IMO.

BriteLite2

Enlightened
So is the Arc Miller Mod still a viable option or a thing of the past? was that from Arc or another source?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
So is the Arc Miller Mod still a viable option or a thing of the past? was that from Arc or another source?
That was from a guy specifically doing those mods and if you're interested in getting one you could always put a WTB ad up in the MarketPlace.

I've still got a AA MillerMod and may even have a AAA left as well.

Larry from Bend

Newly Enlightened
Re: Arc-AAA GS - still a classic? Worth buying or should I be happy my E01?

I still carry my ARC most days. I attached a small radium capsule to it (bought maybe 10-12 years ago from a forum member) so that I can find it in the dark, The ARC and the capsule make a compact little team.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

I still carry my ARC most days. I attached a small radium capsule to it (bought maybe 10-12 years ago from a forum member) so that I can find it in the dark, The ARC and the capsule make a compact little team.

Woah... RADIUM??!?! Isn't that dangerous? Didn't people used to get cancer from the decay chain coming from Radium? Might be a good idea to ditch the Radium for Tritium vials. Same effect, but much safer.

Would I buy an ARC flashlight today? Nope. I like having a high-powered pocket rocket as my EDC. ARC wouldn't fit the bill for me.

dss_777

Enlightened

The ARC's no eye scorcher, but it's rock-in-a-sock simple and just about as stout. Mine have lived on my keychain and in a pocket during all waking hours, and have for for years. They get really beat up, but they always work. Eventually they wear out, of course, but I figure a lifespan of about 4-5 years each.

I have I think two more, still NIB in a drawer. I might retire before I get to them.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

...it's rock-in-a-sock simple and just about as stout...I have I think two more, still NIB in a drawer. I might retire before I get to them.

When I go out swimming or slogging through a mud run the Arc AAA is what I carry. They have been surf and mud proof all these years. I just make sure I lube the O-ring before a day at the beach or race day. Fenix makes a fine product but I prefer the Arc. To each his or her own. I too have enough to get me through retirement!

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have 2 of the ARC AAA white lights hanging on doors for light so I don't wake up my partner and two of the ARC RGB lights hanging on doors for fun (granddaughters think the RGBs are "neat")

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast

Woah... RADIUM??!?! Isn't that dangerous? Didn't people used to get cancer from the decay chain coming from Radium? Might be a good idea to ditch the Radium for Tritium vials. Same effect, but much safer.

A Tritium glass vial is a very nice addition to a useful light. RADIUM? like in the old days when it was painted on watch dials was a danger to the ladies who did this work at the factory, when they 'wet' the small paint brush with saliva.

Concerning the ARC AAA-P, I have a Fenix E05 and it is EXCELLENT! and less than half the $$$ of the Arc.
and of course I have a few E01s. very useful for many reasons and great gifts!

yes the Arc is less powerful and more money, yet the answer as to WHY? spend the $$$ on it is found as soon as you hold it:thumbsup:

I would buy another ARC AAA-P ESPECIALLY IF IT WAS NEUTRAL, WARM OR HIGH CRI :naughty:

FWIW maybe about ten years ago I needed my ARC AAA-P light for a work related presentation ( it was one of my more useful tools, so when advising others it needed to be mentioned and shown). Remember, 10+ years ago to the "unenlightened" masses the LED light was unknown aside from power indicators on electronics. A few days before the event for some reason the Arc failed :thinking:. I was able to speak with the owner of Arc at the time a "Peter G" who cared about my concern and sent me a replacement. IIRC I mailed my old ARC back to him and he next day air sent the replacement. I really appreciated that and have always been a fan of the ARC AAA-P! (that light has functioned flawlessly since that day over 10 years ago.)

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would you still buy an Arc AAA Today?

Yeah, just my type of light.

A Tritium glass vial is a very nice addition to a useful light. RADIUM? like in the old days when it was painted on watch dials was a danger to the ladies who did this work at the factory, when they 'wet' the small paint brush with saliva.

Concerning the ARC AAA-P, I have a Fenix E05 and it is EXCELLENT! and less than half the $$$ of the Arc.
andof course I have a few E01s. very useful for many reasons and great gifts!

yes the Arc is less powerful and more money, yet the answer as to WHY? spend the $$$ on it is found as soon as you hold it:thumbsup:

I would buy another ARC AAA-P ESPECIALLY IF IT WAS NEUTRAL, WARM OR HIGH CRI :naughty:

FWIW maybe about ten years ago I needed my ARC AAA-P light for a work related presentation ( it was one of my more useful tools, so when advising others it needed to be mentioned and shown). Remember, 10+ years ago to the "unenlightened" masses the LED light was unknown aside from power indicators on electronics. A few days before the event for some reason the Arc failed :thinking:. I was able to speak with the owner of Arc at the time a "Peter G" who cared about my concern and sent me a replacement. IIRC I mailed my old ARC back to him and he next day air sent the replacement. I really appreciated that and have always been a fan of the ARC AAA-P! (that light has functioned flawlessly since that day over 10 years ago.)

Just one point of reference, & I wasn't very enlightened at all, but LED flashlights were in Target stores anyway by '00 at least.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

Although I own an ARC and do appreciate the quality of it, I now find it unjustified to spend that money on a single level 5mm led with a runtime of 5 hours.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, just my type of light.
Just one point of reference, & I wasn't very enlightened at all, but LED flashlights were in Target stores anyway by '00 at least.

Yes that is correct I recall some of the first retail outlets selling "LED Lenser" (that is a topic that has been discussed here in great detail).
there were also other LED lights available. to me the Fenix and of course the Arc were beyond anything available at retail back then.

GregY

Newly Enlightened

I own 3 Arc AAA-P's. I carry one every day on my keychain, one I gave to my wife and she carries it every day on her keychain, and the third is one I lost, replaced and then found again later. It had spent most of a winter buried in snow and mud near my front door.

I've had them for a long time (6 years? 7? more?), I like them a lot and they sure are durable. But time has somewhat passed them by. If I were buying a AAA keychain light now, I'd probably choose something else unless the P were much cheaper than it is now.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes that is correct I recall some of the first retail outlets selling "LED Lenser" (that is a topic that has been discussed here in great detail).
there were also other LED lights available. to me the Fenix and of course the Arc were beyond anything available at retail back then.

This one was a brinkmann. I just remember, vs. my other flashlights, how weird it was being dim blue, ringy, but having an unusually long battery life.

Shaquanda

Newly Enlightened
Nope... seems like throwing money away, for $30 I can buy an E15 from fenix, and I have

JBE

Newly Enlightened
I have an old Arc AAA that's probably close to at least 10 years old. It has been on my key chain every single day the entire time that I've owned, except for a brief period where I tried to replace it with a Fenix E01 when they first came out, but I wound up going back to the Arc as I felt that it was just more durable. Only problem I ever had with it was the foam retaining ring came off a few years ago and had to be replaced and I replaced the o-ring as well. Other than that, it was worked without fail every single time that I have ever used it. They are durable and well made lights. Would I buy one again? Tough question. When I bought mine, I felt it was worth the money then. Now? Not so much. Time and tech has passed them buy. If durability/longevity is more important to you than "tech", than yes get one. If not, there are better and less expensive options now.

BriteLite2

Enlightened
I myself am gonna avoid them . I have called them and when someone answers its not with "Arc flashlight" its with something else and when you ask if it is indeed Arc Flashlights they pause and then after a bit they say "uhm yeah" then they put you on hold for a few minutes then they come back on. then you ask them a question and they take your name and number and say they will get back to you and then NEVER CALL YOU BACK!!

then you can try emailing them and they never respond that way either. so I will spend my money and effort with a company that wants the business. I think at best they are selling off remaining stock from a back room and really have no interest in customer support or service so be ware!!

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
I'm satisfied with my $11 E01. I'd consider a more expensive AAA simply because I enjoy the hobby, but I'd have to be thoroughly convinced that I'm getting my money's worth. Having heard some odd things about the "new" Arc, I'll pass on them.

Ive considered a Peak Eiger, but I don't want QTC and the dizzying array of options (not to mention the layouts of the various websites) leave me overwhelmed and confused.

Beyond that there's the $200 lights (Mako, Sapphire, etc.) but they're just way too expensive for me to justify. (I should qualify my statement that I'm not 100% certain the Sapphire plays in the $200 ballpark...I think I just recall it being that much)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Anyone interested in lights enough to join a forum like this should have at least one, but the best place to acquire them is used from the MarketPlace.