WOW! New WTC is really something

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are those "parallelepiped" type buildings supposed to be part of the new complex? It looks like they're designed to take solar panels or something.

Personally, I'd like to see the main tower consist of the world's tallest middle finger. I think that would send a real message. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Catapult

Enlightened
An excerpt of the Reuters article:
"The plan and model of the building, unveiled at a public ceremony on Wall Street, calls for 60 occupied stories, including 2.6 million square feet of office space, rooftop restaurants, and the viewing floor up to a height of 1,100 feet."

60 occupied stories? I hope they're not talking about the total number of floors it will have. The Twin Towers had 104!

I still prefer the original Twin Towers than these new designs. Another thing: looks like they might be replacing the two towers with one building only. Why not two? Are they looking for some sort of 2 for 1 deal?

robk

Enlightened
I watched the construction of the original towers as I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge while I was in college. I think they should rebuild the exact same towers that were destroyed. They were beautiful on the skyline of manhattan. I can sympathize with the people that want a memorial, but the ultimate revenge is to rebuild exactly as it was, like nothing happened.
Rob

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I wonder what the plan is for keeping airplanes from being flown into this?

BC

brightnorm

Flashaholic
There's a disinction between "towers" and "buildings". CN Tower is 1815 ft making it the tallest tower, but some consider it a "skyscraper", AKA a "building". "Tallest" depends on category and whether you count spires, antennas, etc. WTC was so impressive because the entire great height was non-tapered and there were two of them!

Brightnorm

Empath

Flashaholic
I remember as a child in Oklahoma that Oklahoma City was one of the the first to surpass the Empire State building, with the highest structure being the WKY-TV tower. It was then surpassed by a tower in Roswell, New Mexico, followed by a tower in Japan. I don't know if there's been others before the one now in North Dakota, but it looks like a competitive thing.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empath, that was the KWTV (Channel 9) Tower, I do believe. Boy, did that ever bring back some memories.

BC