Wrist watches

mansell2

Newly Enlightened
a watch tells more than jsut time, it tells the world about yourself.

Well said.

I wear a Marathon Navigator on duty. It is simple and tough. The orignal navigator was commissioned for the first Gulf War (which is when I served in the Army). I also use the outer ring as a timer often. I wear the newer one (which only includeds the orignal case).

When I'm in court, I wear a simple but stylish Seiko. There are a thousand watches and a thousand personalities to go with them.

Lance

FredM

Enlightened
Owning and using a nice watch is, like owning and using a nice flashlight, an real pleasure. My every day watch is a Tissot T-touch, ?

one of my favorites. pulled this from a movie.

capture.jpg

I cannot find that color combo anywhere though.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, paul and I have similar issues: watch band breakage.
I have yet to find the solution.

I wear Timex watches with the plastic bands because I rarely remove the watch, and need to be able to wash my hands dozens of times/day. The plastic band dries instantly and is very comfortable.

But the darn things break after a while! I get about 6-8 months out of them.
Sooo, I tried metal (hate it) and a velcro wrap-thing (remained wet for far too long).

Anyone make a strong plastic band???

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Couple of thoughts:

Plastic bands break, consider leather, metal or fabric:

- http://www.countycomm.com/BANDS.htm

- http://www.countycomm.com/adapter.htm

Or spring for natural rubber

- http://www.countycomm.com/SARSTRAPSRUBBER.htm

A 24 hour analog watch will change how you look at time. I learned just last night that am/pm was created because the first clocks couldn't go to 24. With one hour-hand pass per day, you can see sun up/down at a glance and know just where you are without having to calculate:

- http://www.24hourwatch.info/

Time keeping represents humanity's first significant control over nature, not just coordination and budgeting, but prediction (think Stonehenge). The ultimate expression of this is a mechanical watch. This carries a romance that feeds our willingness to buy expensive examples. This romance is lost on digital watches, but keep in mind that a $5 drug store quartz keeps better time than a $5000 self winding (automatic) mechanical.

My two favorite types

Mechanical aviator (my avatar)
- http://www.aviator-watch.com/

SAR (search and rescue)
- http://www.countycomm.com/Watches.htm

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
It's not just the bands breaking, but the little spring pins bend up and the holes for them strip out. I've seen some fancy watches which use screw-in lugs instead of those spring pins, but I'm not enough of a WIS to want to deal with an expensive mechanical watch. (WIS=Watch Idiot Savant, self-descriptive term popularized at timezone.com for the watch equivalent of a flashaholic). So I don't know the best solution. I'm getting by ok without a watch though, and it's probably been most of a year since I last wore one.

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
I wear a Yunghans Mega Solar Ceramic with a sapphire crystal. Had it for 7 years. It's made of Zirconium Carbide ceramic, cannot be opened, never needs batteries, gets it's time updated every night from WWV.

I bang it around on all kinds of things every day. It still looks like the day I took it out of the box. Not a mark or scratch on it.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I love watches, but if my memory serves me right, I read somewhere that watch sales has declined due to cellular/mobile technology. . .Hmmm. . .I still wear a watch.

"Anybody know what time it is?"

npkeith

Newly Enlightened
I love my casio gw-550a (http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/GW500A-1V/)

G-shock, so its tough, Solar powered so I never have to change the battery, atomic, so I never have to set it (It "listens" for the atomic clock in Denver three times every night), and it has an electroluminescent backlight that I use to navigate my hallway in the middle of the night (I have a six-year old, so I never know what kind of landmine he's left in the middle of the floor before going to bed. Might be a few marbles, or a toy truck, or a nice slippery blanket. He waits until I'm barefoot to leave out the spiky things....)

Oh, and its waterproof to 20 bar.

I wake up in the morning, and my right hand goes for the glasses, the left for the watch.
-Keith

frisco

Enlightened
Well..... As Rocky Balboa said ...... "If you wanna have a good time.... You have to have a good watch!"

I'm trying to have a good time .........

- 4 Rolex
- 5 Omegas Seamasters
- 4 Tags
- 1 Brietling
- 1 Tissot
- 6 Hamilton
- 1 Tiffany
- 1 IWC

About 40 other misc. Seiko, Citizen, Casio, Oakley, Swatch, Timex and others.

I'm not calling this a collection by any means. Collectors have much better watches than I do. I just really enjoy watches.... Such a great example of precise form and function.... The ultimate artform!

I'll often leave for a trip without a watch just so I'll need to get one during my travels. Than the watch automatically has a story and sentimental value. I bought a Timex in Prague, My first TAG in the Caribbean, Omega Seamaster in Hawaii, Tissot in Bermuda, Seiko in Japan, Breitling in Los Angeles, Hamilton in Hong Kong.

frisco

Ofelas

Enlightened
Rolex Sea-Dweller 99% of the time, Luminox the other 1% (HALO & mountain biking).

Gatsby

Enlightened
I have worn a watch as long as I can remember. I've gone through some collecting phases but it is an expensive hobby (makes flashlights and pens seem quite cheap, even at the McGizmo level) even if you shoot for the middle or lower end. I now have only 4 watches (which some would still say is overkill) but they cover all my bases really.

I know a few folks who don't, and really notice a lot of the younger folks joining the firm right out of graduate programs often don't wear a watch. There is a generational thing that seems to be trending away from them.

But I agree that for me at least, a watch is about more than telling time, it is a connection to a different era and something of a statement about myself, much like my antiquated fountain pens! :grin2:

I'd love to have a Lange 1,
lange1_medium_g_101_032.jpg

or on a lesser level a JLC Reverso Duo,

movadobaby_1966_31743856

but neither of those is likely to happen due to their cost. I suppose my real target watch that I might one day own would be an Omega Speedmaster Pro or the very cool Seiko Flightmaster auto chrono,

35705000.gif
SBDS001-2.JPG

but for now I have my sights on a Seiko 6R15 "Sumo" dive watch (aka baby Marinemaster).

SBDC001.jpg

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I own quite a few watches, including a Seiko memory watch from the early 1980s. I prefer digitals. Even though I own many watches I only wear one when I'm going out for the day, such as to Manhattan. For walks or bike rides I don't bother. I just have no pressing need to know the time in those situations. For me wrist watches will probably always be my sole means of keeping track of time. I don't own a cell phone. I don't see that I ever would need one, either.

diff_lock2

Newly Enlightened
I love watches, but my wallet don't, so i stick with the cheaper jap stuff.

I have a seiko kinetic and automatic, 2 casio g shocks (old ones), the casio TV remote one, a casio data watch, 2 citizen ecodrives. And recently i got a casio pro trek or what ever, with some temp sensors and such (digital).

I use a watch for a few months then when i get bored i switch. The one i have used most is the seiko automatic.

indenial

Enlightened
I am something of a watch collector. Which means I do not own wristwatches to tell the time. Fellow enthusiasts understand that statement!

Statistically, very few consumers under 30 years old wear a watch. Of course, the watch industry is well aware of this fact, and has focused production on higher profit, higher-end watches which appeal more to the luxury conscious over 30 crowd with disposable income. As a consequence, sales in luxury watches have doubled annually for the last several years.

The watch below is one of the few watches I own that receives unsolicited remarks..

I've discovered, however, that for the most part, unless a timepiece has the easily recognized Rolex crown logo on it's dial, most people ignore what I'm wearing, expensive or not!

MyMano2.jpg

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you come to this country people will know what you are wearing.....:cool:

BTW congratulations it's a very nice watch.:)

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Ah, a Lange 1. My wife would kill me in my sleep. Oh well....

I also enjoy watches and always wear one. I have two Quartz watches

Casio Wave ceptor or whatever they call it, a sport watch that gets daily signals to set it.
Citizen Eco Drive Perpetual

And several automatic

Oris World Timer
Oris Rectangular complication
Breitling Old Navitimer
Jaeger Le Coultre Master Moon

And two hand wound

Nomos Tangente special edition Sommertime
Gubelin (from my dad, he got it in the mid 60s)

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am something of a watch collector. Which means I do not own wristwatches to tell the time. Fellow enthusiasts understand that statement!

Statistically, very few consumers under 30 years old wear a watch. Of course, the watch industry is well aware of this fact, and has focused production on higher profit, higher-end watches which appeal more to the luxury conscious over 30 crowd with disposable income. As a consequence, sales in luxury watches have doubled annually for the last several years.

The watch below is one of the few watches I own that receives unsolicited remarks..

I've discovered, however, that for the most part, unless a timepiece has the easily recognized Rolex crown logo on it's dial, most people ignore what I'm wearing, expensive or not!

MyMano2.jpg

Man you just bought my dream watch:(.
My dream is below;
http://www.giulianomazzuoli.com/manometro_strength.html

Kiessling - you is a man of fine taste - what you think?

:grin2: I actually tried one on in Swizerland but it was just to big for my skinny runt wrists so I ended up getting a Brietling Aerospace Advantage instead. The Manometro's are such lookers and classically understated, unfortunately there ain't no wrist work out videos (please refrain from plumbing the gutter in response to that remark:grin2:)