Wrist watches

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I found the perfect watch for me

I started out with a mechanical Italian watch with a valjoux 7750 movement self winding and then to some tritium based Luminox.
However all had their failings until I discovered this watch
http://www.oceanus-us.com/index.php?fuseaction=products.detail&product=OCW500TDA-1AV
It's an Oceanus chronograph
atomic time keeping
solar powered
perpetual calendar
digital and analogue display
two led lights that turn on when the watch senses darkness and you turn your wrist to look at the watch
the more I wear this watch the more I appreciate its design and functionality

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to want to carry a wrist-watch because, even though a cell phone can tell the time, the watch also had useful extra functions (stopwatch, multiple time zones,...,). But cell phones kept adding features, so like mini-computers they also now have alarms, multiple time zones, stopwatch functions, etc.

I guess I still carry the wrist-watch because in strong daylight my cell phone screen can wash out and be hard to see, and the watch is nearly bombproof (yes, I agree with the G-Force Casio guy) whereas the cell phone is kind of finicky and its batteries can run out on you at any moment whereas the watch can keep going for ten years without needing anything (yes, again, the G-Force is solar powered and can go on for several months even away from the Sun...the ten years refers to the life of the solar-rechargeable batteries).

Plus, the wrist-watch, being an "atomic" time-keeping device, is usually more accurate than the cell phone, which is supposed to get accurate time from the cellular network but...

Anyway, the funny thing is that things could be turning around again! There is now a watch that will let you know that your cell phone or PDA has received a message or an email! So now you need your watch to track what your cell phone is doing! Isn't technology great?

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave up wearing wristwatches because they don't survive long on my wrist.
My Swiss Army knife (Victorinox Traveller Lite) gives me the time, and the
temperature and altitude.

traveller-lite.jpg

wishywashy7

Enlightened
orangemonster.jpg

the seiko SKX781 "orange monster" is what I have on my wrist most of the time. If Im going to do something really rough-and-tumble, then its a G-shock for me

MetalZone

Newly Enlightened
I'm also one of those who feel naked without a watch and I'm 22 years old so I guess I don't fall under the statistics mentioned above. I wear it everyday, 24/7 including sleeping and having a bath. I started wearing watches since I was a kid.

I recently got a Seiko Alarm Chronograph (Criteria SNA643P1)
SNA643P1.jpg

http://www.likebuy.com/showproduct.asp?id=1860

Decided to go back to battery due to my experience with a broken spring on my Seiko 5.

In the past 5+ years I've been wearing a Seiko 5 (automatic) but it's now at the shop for tuning coz it's not very accurate anymore since it broke it's spring 2+ years ago. The shop needs about two weeks to tune back it's accuracy, but back then I couldn't wait that long without a watch and had to reset the time every week. I'll continue wearing this watch for rougher stuff when I get it back.

Last edited:

paddling_man

Newly Enlightened
Suunto watches are great if you're looking for functions. It is a tool, though, not a toy.

Mine is a Xlander that I've worn non-stop for going on 7 years.

101407POSITIVE0.jpg

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
My Rolex sits in a drawer where it's been for about 15 years. I take it out and wind it about once a year. My everyday watch is a Casio Titanium Sea Pathfinder. My work watch (I use the outer bezel for timing) is a Stainless Corvette Logo watch that I picked up at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green. And my dressier (I NEVER dress up. That's what being retired is all about.) watch is a Citizen Titanium Eco-Drive Chrono. And I still work part time as a tour guide so I need the Vette watch for tour timing.

Jerb

Newly Enlightened
Ive religiously worn a watch since middle school, its always been a lower end digital model from casio as thats what my brother always wore. even with a cell phone in my pocket I always wear one, like most have said here I feel naked without it. I just feel weird if I leave the dorm without my wallet, knife, and watch... even when I go to class in PJ's.

I dont take my watch off to shower, only when Im working on a diy project (dont want to short anything out :grin2:) and about once a week to wash the skin underneath it.

as a graduation gift my father gave me his dive watch thats he's worn for the last four years, I cant read it well but I still wear it everyday.

gp4531ub9.jpg

also I just think they look snazzy, watches complete an outfit and feel good on your wrists. (and how else would I ever know the date? :crackup:)

m16a

Enlightened
Maybe it's just me, but I've found my cell phone battery dead FAR more often than my watch battery..

I've worn a watch constantly since elementary school. I don't switch watches until I feel the need to do so - right now I'm wearing a Traser h3 titanium dive watch..

Agreed. Watches are WAY more reliable IMO. I couldn't imagine not wearing a watch. I have a sweet Casio G-Shock solar that is highly reliable and has atomic timekeeping:D

Ritch

Enlightened
Although I have a small collection of watches (Panerai, Breitling, Rolex, Chopard, Omega etc.) which I am wearing rotational, I currently prefer the Fortis B-42 Marinemaster. It's lightweight, very durable, has a good night readability and the band is rubber, not plastic. It is 200m waterproof and commodious to wear.

6471041k_2007.jpg

Ofelas

Enlightened
Ritch - thx for that picture; I wear a Sea-Dweller 99% of the time, and a Luminox with rubber strap the other 1%, and if/when the Luminox dies I'll keep the B-42 in mind as a auto winding replacement! :thumbsup:

Max

Enlightened
Do any watches use a larger lithium like a 2016?

Some "10 year battery" Casio watches like the MTD-1043 run on bigger lithiums.

At home, I have a Lorus watch that has a electroluminescent backlight that also used a bigger lithium.

Might have been a CR2025.

A very quick web search reveals that the following Casio watches run on 2016 batteries:
Casio AW-80-1AVDF
Casio AQ-160WD-2BV
Casio AQ-160WD-1BV
Casio AW-80D-1AV
Casio AQ-160W-1BVDF
Casio G-8000-1V
Casio AQ-163W-7B1VDF
Casio W-754H-1AVDF
Casio DW-56RTB-7
Casio G-8100-7
Casio G-056B-1V
Casio DW-56RTB-3
Casio AQ-163WG-1BV
Casio G-8100-4
Casio G-8000B-3V
Casio F-94WA-9
Casio AW-80D-7AV
Casio AW-80D-2AV
Casio AW-80-7AV
Casio G-8000F-7
Casio G-8000F-4
Casio WAG76001VCR
Casio DW6900MC-7A
Casio AQ-160W-7BVDF
Casio G-Shock G-056B-1V
Casio G-Shock G-056B-2VDR

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forget to charge my cell phone at times. Not much of a concern with a watch. I'll always wear one.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I'm at home, I take off my watch. But when I'm outside, I always wear one (unless I'm snowboarding). Men don't usually have many jewlery or accessories, so to me my watch, knife, and flashlights are my jewlery.

davedds

Newly Enlightened
Watches can be a very expensive hobby!!!

If your a "Watchaholic" you can get into debt very quickly!!

My Fav are "Automatic Skeletonized" watches. There nothing better than looking at the movement beat via the crystal.

For beginers for less than 100 bucks check these out at your local W-Mart, sears, target etc... stores

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6562456

My wish list watch is a little known swiss brand here in the US. They just started to sell them here a couple years ago....Check out the Chronomasters

http://www.zenith-watches.com/scripts/getpage.asp?pageid=0_0&langid=0

Due to the similar name with the "Zenith" electronics here in the US they were not able to be marketed or sold here by any Authorized dealers. You could have gotten them from someone who got them from overseas or the caribean...

Once you imerss yourself into watches its a whole other world, you learn about the movement manufactures for example "ETA" they make most of the movements in name brand stuff like TAG Huer, Omega, etc.. You'll find out that the watch world has a few big "movement" maufactures that supply most of the guts to the companies who then slap the "brand name" on it. They will get the 500 - 7000 price tag... Then there are the few small watch manufactures that make "in-house" movements and you plan on paying top dollar for those 10000+ etc....

BTW Most Rolexs have movements made by "Rolex" in-house but the Rolex Daytona watch was using a modified "Zenith" movement untill a few years ago....

husky20

Banned
CASIO G SHOCKS are the best i have three of them all different versions of the G shock.I am very active and use my hands alot and have never had one of there bands break on me there great.I have one that is atomic and solar.another solar and one with a ten year battery.ive had the solar ones for a few years now never a problem they are by far way more accurate than an expensive swiss or rolex or something witch can be as inaccurate as +15 -15 sec a day.my g shocks only ad between 0 to +15 seconds a month if that and my atomic solar is always exactly right down to the split second because it sets itself to the atomic clock 6 times a day.:thumbsup:this is my newest acquisition http://youtube.com/watch?v=YtXn9-tdMz4 a good place to buy watches for a good price.http://www.xcelwatches.com/servlet/the-484/Casio-G9100-dsh-1-G-dsh-Shock-Gulfman/Detail

Last edited: