Wrist watches

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m using this one these days... The reason I got it because it's simple, digital, multi-lingual, dual time, 5 alarms, stopwatch, count down timer, some data storage and most importantly it's got an LED :) ... not to forget the 10 year battery life (that is if i do not use LED that much) and 50M Water Resistant...can't beat the accuracy of +/-30 seconds per month and so many features for less than $30 ;)

Last edited:

Aluminous

Enlightened
a skagen ss with black face w no numbers, though i dont get one thing about the skagen, if i dont wear it for a while, it falls behind by a day, its battery powered, WTF

I guess it gets lonely and wants more attention? :laughing:

This might not be true for quartz watches, but I have heard that some watches lose more or less time when not worn depending on what position they're left in (like, laying on one side). If you tend to always leave the watch laying a certain way, you might try testing other positions.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might not be true for quartz watches, but I have heard that some watches lose more or less time when not worn depending on what position they're left in (like, laying on one side). If you tend to always leave the watch laying a certain way, you might try testing other positions.

It applies only to mechanical watches and it is due to a difference in internal friction between the different positions.

I don't know about today but for my old Rolexes this fact was even written in the instructions: in case your watch is slightly fast lay it down during the night with the crown pointing downwards, in case it is slow with the face upwards. :cool:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very old school, and would feel naked with out a watch. I own 4 or 5 watches. I am a sucker for auto dive watches. Oh yeah!!

atbglenn

Newly Enlightened
I feel naked without a watch on. This is one of many, a Tag Heuer I purchased in 1992.

07029406.jpg

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I feel naked without a watch on. This is one of many, a Tag Heuer I purchased in 1992.

07029406.jpg
That's the exact watch my brother sent me around the same time! I eventually lost it in the snow up on the North Slope about 10 years back and seeing yours really brings back lots of memories doing snowmobile tours in the Chatanika valley. To check the time while out on guided tours at night I would lean over the windshield and let the headlight shine on it for a moment, then when I looked at it it was bright as the moon!

Robinda

Newly Enlightened
Mine is a casio waveceptor and it resets itself daily using the greenwich time signal it is very reliable and has an illuminator backnlight i love it

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a big chunk of this thread got deleted during the great catastrophe... Here's what I've been wearing for about 4 years now:

IMG_62021_1024x768.jpg

Seiko SKZ255... yes I know the model number by heart...

Shao

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC - My Rolex Submariner, runs spot on accurate! I put it though its paces too!

P4063916.jpg

Dressy/suit - My Stowa Antea 365

P1213869.jpg

Other EDC's - My Oris'

P3173361.jpg

P8063636.jpg

FERRITE

Newly Enlightened
I got this a while back.
2mi5pa8.jpg

It is much lighter that it looks. Much lighter than my blade watch.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Bought my first automatic back in June. A handsome Orient black Mako. Company based in Japan. Now owned by Seiko. The Mako line uses an Orient in-house movement. The line is known for very good accuracy among automatic watches that are non-COSC. Indeed very inexpensive and very accurate. Mine was more or less consistent over the months I owned it. Apparently I'm not the only one who thought it was a good looking watch. One of my classmates at the medical institute I attend stole it out of a secure drawer.

I've decided to replace the watch with one exactly like it. Had it on a nice 2-ring Zulu strap.

My current EDC watch is one I got back in December as a Christmas gift from my folks. Citizen Eco-Drive BM7080-03E model. Also very handsome. Quite a bit more expensive than my Mako. The Citizen is rather formal looking. Wears a bit bigger than it actually is. Eco-Drive technology works very well. All of the advantages of quartz movement, without the disadvantages. Some Eco-Drive watches have been known to last 10 - 12 years before needing the rechargeable battery replaced by Citizen.

A watch is simply too pragmatic not to wear one. And, there are some truly handsome models out there.

Last edited:

weklund

Enlightened
My Daily wrist gear is my vintage 1980 Sub ...

1680-1.jpg

This one is a Dievas Divergraph. No longer in production. Has been a very good watch. I purchased it here http://www.gnomonwatches.com/images/...atoGWIndex.jpg a few years ago. They never offered a model without a rotating "Diver" style bezel. They did offer a non chrono version named "Dievas Zeta Phantom". I own a Phantom as well. Great dial layout.

DIEVAS.jpg

DZP11.jpg

DZP44.jpg

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by kaichu dento
Weklund, who makes that watch, and do they have any non-diver models with the trits?

Last edited:

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
Most of the time: Submariner LV (wedding gift from my mother in law)

Rolex-Submariner-16610-LV.jpg

Only for very rough activity or working in project site: Seiko Black Monster

SKX779K1_MED.jpg

Another unused watch in my drawer (used daily prior to above seiko purchase) Swatch Chronograph. Cant find a better photo but its exactly like this one on someone else' arm

Swatch_Irony_Wildly.jpg

xul

Enlightened
i have a cell phone
Not to be too controversial, watches are not likely to give you eyeball cancer or brain cancer that doesn't show up for 20 years.I live 1500' from an AM radio station, and (if I wasn't in a weak point in the field strength and if I wasn't so old) or (if I had kids living here), I'd move. The effect is worse with the higher freqs that cell phones use.

xul

Enlightened
My edit button doesn't work.Kindly changeNot to be too controversial, watches are not likely to give you eyeball cancer or brain cancer that doesn't show up for 20 years.toNot to be too controversial, but watches are not likely to give you eyeball cancer or brain cancer that doesn't show up for 20 years.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A former co-worker of mine had a so-called Smartphone.

One night, when he was supposed to relieve me at midnight, he didn't show. Now that sort of nonsense was something I've gotten used to. Well, not really. It was just no longer a HUGE surprise when it happened. Still got my blood pressure up every time it did. Thing is, he wasn't usually the one doing it. He did, early on. But he had gotten much more reliable. Usually when something like this happens, I'm stuck working another shift on less than last minute's notice, until the individual scheduled to come in at 8am arrives.

Turns out, my midnight relief was running late. But he didn't know it because he dropped his Smartphone onto the sidewalk. Touch-screen crapped out. He couldn't call to say he was running late, and he couldn't check the time because the screen was out. He also couldn't pick up if anyone called him, because the screen was out. He honestly didn't realize he was running ridiculously late, instead of somewhat late. He arrived nearly an hour later. I had to go to bat for him in order to make sure the client didn't fire his butt.

That's one example. But I've learned over the years not to place too much faith in cellphones. Smartphones with their touch-screens are ridiculously fragile, even when carried with a protective sleeve. Plus, I'm lazy. I'd rather just turn my wrist a bit instead of digging out my cellphone from my pocket, just to tell the time. And then shoving it back in there.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an automatic Invicta that I currently wear all the time, its nice but it is off about a minute every 2 weeks (acceptable for a cheap automatic IMO). I'm looking at this watch: Casio link: http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/G-Shock/GW5600J-1/, Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00134JNJG/?tag=cpf0b6-20. I am considering it because a digital watch would be better when I work out, etc. Due to limited funds it would probably be a gift around Christmas. It is solar powered, digital, and it keeps perfect time based on a radio signal in Fort Collins (as do some clocks that I own). Any comments or is there any other "atomic" digital watches that anyone recommends?

Last edited: