Wrist watches

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replys everyone, my current Gshock receives that radio signal from Fort Collins every night and I have some clocks that do the same. I realized automatics weren't the most accurate and I will probably stay away from them unless I have some serious funds I feel I need to spend. I didn't realize automatics required that much maintenance, which is the reason I found automatics attractive (no changing batteries). Looks like I'll stick with my solar/atomic (radio) Gshock 5600J and get my Invicta adjusted.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replys everyone, my current Gshock receives that radio signal from Fort Collins every night and I have some clocks that do the same. I realized automatics weren't the most accurate and I will probably stay away from them unless I have some serious funds I feel I need to spend. I didn't realize automatics required that much maintenance, which is the reason I found automatics attractive (no changing batteries). Looks like I'll stick with my solar/atomic (radio) Gshock 5600J and get my Invicta adjusted.

Honestly, you don't need to spend a huge amount of money to get an automatic that is very good at time keeping. Buy a watch, wear it daily, keep track of how many seconds it's losing or gaining. If it's too much, take it to a watchmaker and have it regulated. Still, Invicta is far from the best of the inexpensive automatics out there. Actually, Orient has a reputation for excellent accuracy (among inexpensive automatics). Before my black Mako was stolen it averaged +8 seconds. Literally just one second out of COSC. Considering I paid a little over $100 for mine, one second out of COSC was perfectly fine by me.

Just the nature of the beast . . . The cheapest quartz watch is simply going to keep better time than some automatics worth as much as a nice house. And, I'm not exaggerating when I say that. Chances are though, with a bit of care and routine servicing (about once every 5 years or sooner if the accuracy gets way off); a well-made automatic can last decades if not longer.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I do my aforementioned time setting roughly once a year because my Citizen Skyhawk loses just under two seconds a month; although I think the atomic set feature is awesome, there's no way I could limit my choice of watch to only those with the feature.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another handy and totally free time "signal" option is the online Official NIST Time widget. (National Institute of Standards & Technology) It claims only a .01 second network delay.

+1, this is how I set my watch yearly. For those who aren't particularly interested in shortwave radio but would like to receive the time signal, this $10 radio works nicely.

As far as watch accuracy is concerned, I've always been big fan of periodic visits to shortwave Radio Station WWV.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Screw "good enough!" ;)

If "good enough" was just fine, We'd still be driving Ford Model-Ts and Porsche wouldn't even exist.

Digital watches are "good enough." And that's the problem! There's nothing special about them. No one passes down a digital watch. They're pragmatic to the extreme. Nothing special, sentimental, or emotion-evoking about them.

Personally, I've got my eye on an Oris Artix GT Day Date. (Something a bit more than just "good enough.")

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
If "good enough" was just fine, We'd still be driving Ford Model-Ts and Porsche wouldn't even exist.

Digital watches are "good enough." And that's the problem! There's nothing special about them. No one passes down a digital watch. They're pragmatic to the extreme. Nothing special, sentimental, or emotion-evoking about them.
Nothing surprising about this sentiment on a forum for flashlight enthusiasts!
There are items in my possession that belong to either the 'good enough' classification as well as those which possibly qualify for the 'obsessive' rankings!
If finances allow I'll eventually have one of my favored Omega Constellations, but will most likely never find myself in possession of a Piaget.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nothing surprising about this sentiment on a forum for flashlight enthusiasts!
There are items in my possession that belong to either the 'good enough' classification as well as those which possibly qualify for the 'obsessive' rankings!
If finances allow I'll eventually have one of my favored Omega Constellations, but will most likely never find myself in possession of a Piaget.

I must admit, I'm extremely happy that there's nothing in the $4,000+ range of watches that appeals to me. (And only one model just below that range.)

Under $2,000 has some really good watches that have caught my eye.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I must admit, I'm extremely happy that there's nothing in the $4,000+ range of watches that appeals to me. (And only one model just below that range.)

Under $2,000 has some really good watches that have caught my eye.
I wish I could say the same, but at least I no longer think of Piaget's like this one, which is available used for just a bit over $12,000!
Thankfully I like quite a few watches under $2,000 too!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I wish I could say the same, but at least I no longer think of Piaget's like this one, which is available used for just a bit over $12,000!
Thankfully I like quite a few watches under $2,000 too!

I hate that Blancpain turned the iconic Fifty Fathoms into such a gaudy-looking timepiece with their current iteration. But my wallet and bank account are happy about it.

It's odd how many folks assume that you get increased durability when you buy a watch worth several thousands of dollars. Then they learn the hard way that luxury and even high-end watches really don't work that way.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some recent shots of the new dual time watch. Was a challenge to find the version I wanted. In the end I wound up getting the leather strap version and ordering a rubber strap. As far as I was told, this was mainly an Asia market time piece. The Hamilton dealers I spoke with here were able to order them but delivery time from Switzerland was 6-8 weeks out and no warranty since this is not a USA market watch.

ham07c.JPG

ham10c.JPG

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No warranty but you bought it from a Hamilton AD?

Wish I could say I was totally surprised, but the B.S. from the Swatch Group knows few bounds.

A good-looking watch though.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dealer I bough from is an AD for Hamilton and other Swatch Co. brands. With this one it is a gray good with in store warranty of 2 years. The box was complete with all papers less the dealer stamp in the book. I started my search for this model back in '09 and was unsuccessful then. The dealers would show me the book but when calling the eastern distribution, this was not a US market watch. Plenty were here but I could not locate one with US papers for warranty. After giving up and finding less of them as time wore on, I bought what was available.

Same with Seiko, many models seen for the Asia market but the nice ones aren't here. Lots of watches that just don't get to these shores and or the shops distributing them are slim pickings. An online buddy just took delivery of a Sinn 103 Ti DIAPAL. I see those in magazines but have yet to lay my eyes on one. :(

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The dealer I bough from is an AD for Hamilton and other Swatch Co. brands. With this one it is a gray good with in store warranty of 2 years. The box was complete with all papers less the dealer stamp in the book. I started my search for this model back in '09 and was unsuccessful then. The dealers would show me the book but when calling the eastern distribution, this was not a US market watch. Plenty were here but I could not locate one with US papers for warranty. After giving up and finding less of them as time wore on, I bought what was available.

Sounds like you did an excellent job of convincing an AD to break the rules for you. Either that or the watch sat unsold for a long time. Please do not mention the actual name of the AD. If Hamilton or the Swatch Group found out that an AD was dabbling in the grey market, they'd likely lose their AD status.