xm-l Buck 3a

betti154

Enlightened
I agree there's a lot of light coming from multiple XM-Ls at 3A but I'm not convinced they 'destroy' a 35W HID. I did a night dive last week using both a 4*XM-L and a 75W HID. It was pretty murky waters. The XM-L was on the shoulder providing area light and the HID was in the hand looking for the prawns. So, they were both on at the same time. The XM-L with DX reflector is a wider beam than the HID which is colimated/focussed. It penetrated a lot less than I thought in the conditions.

My take is that they compliment each other in the roles they performed but not outdoing each other.I'll take some beamshots above water to show the different spread. I also have a 35W colimated so I'll throw that into the photos.

Be interesting to see how those Ledil optics work with the XM-L's. Thats a nice combination at a reasonable price.

I should be more specific, in that of the two 35w HIDs I compared it to in Florida cave country the 2.4-3A XML with Cute3 optic made the tighther 35w HIDs appear inferior. e.g. the 35w HID spot was not longer visible when beams were overlapped. I've seen some 35w HIDs that are better than others, so to be fair apples aren't apples. The ones I was comparing against were older models too, not the latest from Ligth Monkey for example.

See video below for an example of XM-L Cute3 optic versus the tighter XP-G Cute3.

At time 2:05, you can see firstly the XPG Cute3 @ 1200ma and then behind that the XML Cute3 @ ~2400ma.
At time 2:22, the diver on the left has a XML Cute3 @ ~2400ma

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
Hello betti 154

can you help me ,,,i am to order the Cutter staff
led and optic

but i am not shure about Bining and flux
the one i like to have about Color is just white

i can see the bin and flux label ,,,,,,i am lost , with this tables

the one i like is white lite

if you can help me ,,,great

regards

Stefan

betti154

Enlightened
Hello betti 154

can you help me ,,,i am to order the Cutter staff
led and optic

but i am not shure about Bining and flux
the one i like to have about Color is just white

i can see the bin and flux label ,,,,,,i am lost , with this tables

the one i like is white lite

if you can help me ,,,great

regards

Stefan

For a primary light, I usually got the U2 bin for a very cool colour with max lumens. http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1100

Perhaps someone else can confirm, but I'm not sure the "Bin Flux Colour Choice" on the Cutter page makes much difference if you're just building one light and don't care about consistency across batches.

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
Hello

i just have othertings in my mind
i will use the 7x xml-u2 , and run it on the shark driver 3a
http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Powe...-XM-L-U2-auf-Rundplatine-LT-1802_120_117.html

and this optik
http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Powe...ach-Linse-12°-LT-1730_106_108.html?cross=1730

becouse i will anyway make a carrier for the led to the housing
and i will make a canister new

that shot work

the bat . i was thinking using a li-ion ,,,may bay 2 parralel to have more AH
i just have to find a li-ion with a lot AH,,,,,someone know something about

best regards

PS:::: next week i will finish my new EKPP light head

Stefan

betti154

Enlightened
Hello

i just have othertings in my mind
i will use the 7x xml-u2 , and run it on the shark driver 3a
http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Powe...-XM-L-U2-auf-Rundplatine-LT-1802_120_117.html

and this optik
http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Powe...ach-Linse-12°-LT-1730_106_108.html?cross=1730

becouse i will anyway make a carrier for the led to the housing
and i will make a canister new

that shot work

the bat . i was thinking using a li-ion ,,,may bay 2 parralel to have more AH
i just have to find a li-ion with a lot AH,,,,,someone know something about

best regards

PS:::: next week i will finish my new EKPP light head

Stefan

This is the first multi XML board+optic I've seen with more than 3 LED; I do like the person who thinks up something as evil as 7 xmls.

Will a shark buck do the job? Max voltage on them is 24-25v and 7 series xmls at 3a just scrape it in, and your battery would need to be over this when fully charged. I assume the LEDs are in series. They might be individually addressable too???

Battery wise, I consider two separate 4s packs and connect them in series when installed in housing. ~30v

Parallel 3 rcd-24 1000ma drivers. These handle the high voltage and 3 will give you 3000ma, or whatever other combination you can one up with.

Regards,
Damien Siviero
http://damiensiviero.com

Klem

Enlightened
Interesting!...7*XML on a 35mm diameter base.

I agree with Damien, with the idea that it may be more suitable to divide up the emitter into two halves (3 and 4), with two separate drivers and battery packs. That way you can stick with the relatively cheaper battery chargers with balance charging options up to 6S. 6S won't give you the voltage necessary for running all 7 so perhaps two separate systems.

12 degrees is still reasonably wide but such is the nature of LED optics, and this case you will mitigate this by having a very high lumen output.

I'll be interested to hear how you go with this project.

betti154

Enlightened
I agree with Damien, with the idea that it may be more suitable to divide up the emitter into two halves (3 and 4), with two separate drivers and battery packs.

Are those boards individually addressable?

I'd probably keep the LEDs in series to keep things simple, and just use two separate 4S batteries to power it. Charge separately, but put them in series to give the voltage necessary.

If this is anything like the 7-up XPG solution from Cutter, it'll be reasonably wide in reality. Even the 6 Degree optic was something like 20-30 degrees in my experience. Neverless I think the 7up XML will produce a very nice wreck light for moderate to clear water.

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
Hello
sooooooo if i start , to think about ,,,better i stick with a 3x XML-u2 with 3a

the bat, canister will by very big
or runs with only 1A,,,, NO

i was thinking to use the 7 xml-u2 , becouse of power 7200 lumen ,,,,,wow

but the size of the rest ,,,better not

i stick with the small 3x xml-u2 3000 lumen , nice and small

better is and light enoght

i will post than later pics

Stefan

Klem

Enlightened
What would be the current and voltage outcome of splitting the 7*XM-L array into two series strings of 3 and 4?

I'm thinking the H6Flex buck driver has a max output of 20V and supplies current in increments up to 6.6A. Max input voltage is 22V, so a 5S Li-ion.

If you wanted to drive the XM-Ls at max current 3A is this possible with this driver?

betti154

Enlightened
What would be the current and voltage outcome of splitting the 7*XM-L array into two series strings of 3 and 4?

I'm thinking the H6Flex buck driver has a max output of 20V and supplies current in increments up to 6.6A. Max input voltage is 22V, so a 5S Li-ion.

If you wanted to drive the XM-Ls at max current 3A is this possible with this driver?

I've used even parallel strings of LEDs with the h6Flex, though not sure about uneven one. My guess is the voltage will be out of whack and things might start blowing up. George at taskled.com is pretty helpful - he might chime in here or ask the question at taskled.com/forum

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
HI
a question i have about the aptik 9,5°
Ledtech in germany told me ..9,5° is not the full angle , ???? CUTTER

the real angel is 19°

SOOOOO what full angle is than the cutter optik cute optik

best regards

Stefan

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
hi
a Question i have ,
from ledtech germany i have the info that the optk cute 9,5° ,,is 19° full angle

so is the cutter cute 9,5° what angle ?????? 19°

best regards
Stefan

betti154

Enlightened
Watch this video. The primary light shown at the following time points is a Cutter XML U2 triple at 2.5A, using the narow optic.

Times: 2:19, 2:22 (on left)

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
Hi
first of al many thanks , for the video to see it
and i have to say i like it looks gooood on time 2:25 looks fine

you are the one is dancing in the boot

best regards

Stefan